What do you guys think of our videos(edited in final cut)?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 007bond, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Hey MacRumors users. I am currently in a class that deals with Media Technology and we are doing a couple of things in Final Cut Studio. I was wondering if you guys could check out our videos and tell us what you think about them. We are looking for suggestions and constructive criticism based on the content of the video, the editing/sound effects, lower thirds, and the acting. Let me know what you think and I will forward it to the group. :)

http://www.youtube.com/productiongeeks

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think there are a couple of things that you can improve with your video production such as lighting. In most of the shots the the speakers are under exposed.

Another flaw is that your are pretending to use a handheld mic however, I assume recording the sound from the camera’s mic. This just look’s tacky and whether the buzzing/hissing is ambient noise or camera noise it should try and be eradicated.

Sorry to be harsh but in your title, when you say “edited in final cut”, you are attempting to say that you have used professional software therefore my videos are of professional quality. This video could have easily been edited in iMovie or other software as there are not that many cuts and they are simple cuts at the most.

I believe that you have also exported the footage with black bars at the top and bottom (probably through ticking a “maintain aspect ratio” box. This has caused your YouTube video to be encased within a black rectangle which can be distracting and is unnecessary as the YouTube box aspect ratio is the same as your video.

About the actors and locations:

The opening scene is a bit awkward because the whole shot is a mixture of grey’s and blacks the black table looks odd especially with the black background to the left. Try maybe next time getting a more colourful background (cheap table cloth or sheet) or try green screening it and superimposing your own background.

In the newsreaders that I have watched the shot is normally taken as a mid shot excluding the hands. This should have been used as the flat hands on the table can be quite distracting especially as they are a stark contrast to the black table.

With the next clips you should have tried filming the scene from the other direction so that the light would fall onto the reporter and interviewee instead of behind them.

Apart from these things you have a solid idea for a video and should continue. Take these constructive criticisms with a grain of salt as it’s only what I see in the video.

Hope this helped! I am of a similar age to you guys so feel free to check out my videos if you want an idea of what I do!

3. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

Thanks for this. As for the Mics, we are the beginner class so we aren't allowed to use real mics even though they are very easy to use(i know, its a bit stupid). The black background is part of the studio, I don't know if he will allow us to use a background with it. Thanks for this, it really helped out.