What do you guys think of this build for a college student MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Entourage12, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Entourage12 macrumors member

Hello all I am a current PC user and as University gets closer and closer I have always wanting to get a Mac and now I have decided on what I want. It is a bit more than I had anticipated and I am hoping that some comments might be able to help in some areas that I might be able to take a way a few dollars. Please let me know what you think:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz
    White Model
    160GB Hard Drive
    1GB RAM
    Apple Care Protection Plan

Laptop total = $1644.00 (Student discount)

Extras:

$146.00 4GB RAM from Kingston
    $166.29 Windows Vista Home Basic
    $129.99 Microsoft Office for Mac
    $30.00 (approximately) for a Sleeve

Total = $2116.28
    Total with Tax = $2370.23

All prices are in Canadian dollars. Any help would be great!

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

You could definitely get away with less RAM than that.

Also, why Vista?

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Get your Apple care from eBay and save yourself some money.

They have a good deal on Refurb models, but only 120GB drive - for $1,099 (US)... Full factory warranty too...

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

what are you going to be using the laptop for? that's a great set up. if you want to save money you could just get 2gb of ram from OWC for now and see if that will do what you need it to. i take it back, if your going to want to run vista via parrels than you will need the 4bg of ram. check your college software prices because i know i can get office 08' for $80(us) virsus the retail 120 or so. the only other thing i could suggest would be a external drive. it might come in handy for Time machine in case you accidentally delete that paper you need or what have you. other than that, its a great machine and enjoy!

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You won't need it for basic college ****. 2GB will be fine.

no, check with your school bookstore. ms does licensing with schools. i can get office and vista or xp for $5 each in my school's bookstore.

go incase

6. Entourage12 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot for the help guys I would definately look into getting the software at school and see what they can do. Also, I forgot to mention I wanted to get the 4gb of RAM for a little bit of minor gaming, like at most World of Warcraft and maybe some old fps shooters

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Get the Ram from Newegg or OWC, 4 gb for less than $100.
    Applecare can be had on eBay for $140-150.

Before you buy Office for Mac. Try the iWork trial which will come with the Macbook, can be bought for $79. Download and try Open Office, free Open Source App. Both are great alternatives to Office for Mac. I used Microsoft Office for years on the PC, for me all I need is iWork.

8. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Beat me to it.... I agree. I'd been using Microsoft Office my whole life until I got a Mac. I bought Office:Mac thinking I would need it, but iWork is so much better. Never tried Open Office but I hear many good things.

9. Entourage12 thread starter macrumors member

Just spoke to my dad and he says his company has CDs I can use to get Office for Mac and Vista and including the suggestions here is what I have now:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz
    White Model
    160GB Hard Drive
    1GB RAM
    Apple Care Protection Plan

Laptop total = $1644.00 (Student discount)

Extras:

$84.99 4GB RAM from Newegg
    $34.95 Sleeve from Incase

Total = $1763.94
    Total with Taxes = $1993.25

That was a lot of helpful information thank you all, thats a very nice almost $400 savings.

10. TJones macrumors regular

I'd go with a MBP if you wanted to play games. The intel graphics card makes all gamers cry.

11. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Could you avoid tax by buying it off of Amazon or somewhere like that?

12. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

No problem dude! I actually just bought my first MacBook 2 days ago, and its the same as yours. MacBook is really not for gaming at all, but if you're just playing older games.. it'll probably be "playable" at least. Wont be the greatest though.

13. Entourage12 thread starter macrumors member

That is actually a really good idea i'll definately have to look into that also.

EDIT: $1493 without paying the tax, that includes applecare but only has 120gb hard drive which I think should be plenty.

When the tax is put on the Newegg stuff it should be about $100.

So down to about $1593!

14. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Getting close. The Incase Sleeve is $30 at Best Buy

15. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

AFAIK, Newegg doesn't ship to Canada so you're going to have to get your RAM from somewhere else.

I suggest OWC

16. dough134 macrumors newbie

Keep in mind intel MB and MBP won't accept a single 4GB stick, if i'm not mistaken.

17. dalison macrumors newbie

dalison

Nope - 2 x 2GB sticks.

Entourage, You may also want to consider getting the 80GB drive if that will save you any real money (provided you can still get the 2.2GHz processor). I got a 120GB drive in mine and immediately pulled it out and dropped in a 320GB WD drive for $200. You may not need the space but, like RAM, there is a steep premium when you get more from Apple. Better to get RAM and HD aftermarket.

18. mbrydone macrumors regular

i would go XP because its going to run smoother and faster, right now most programs still work on XP and Vista so it won't be much of a problem AND you can get XP from almost anyone for free...

Heck i'd even burn you a copy :) and I'm a Mac user

19. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

What is your major? If you will be doing powerpoint presentations, you will need the mini dvi-vga thing.

20. Praetorian® macrumors regular

Praetorian®

Great choice, man!
    When I see your prices, I'm a bit jealous, because the same MacBook costs $1944 here (Apple care not included)! :eek: (do not want to know price of MBP ;) )
    RAM and Sleeve prices are almost same, so you spend about $300 less than me. I think you really should not worry that you spend too much. :rolleyes:

21. dsl4c macrumors member

world of warcraft gets the macbook very hot, fans at full speed after about 10 minutes of play.. plus the graphics kinda suck.. IMO, WoW is not for the macbook, it'll play ok, but I find its not worth the noise, and heat..

22. Entourage12 thread starter macrumors member

I'm really new to Macs but i've been doing some crazy reading about them and I just have a couple things to ask. I have heard that if I get WoW for windows and play it on windows that the graphics will be better than on leopard? And I have also read that if I get Windows XP it will not read all 4gb of RAM, instead only 3gb of them?

Another question now: My parents are allowing me to spend $2,000 on this new laptop, I really didn't expect to get the price so low. Now I have about an extra $300 to spend. Where do you suggest I put it? New hard drive?

23. weizilla macrumors regular

get a new hd if you feel it's necessary. if you still have money left over, why not just save it for future upgrades... or better yet, beer?

24. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I just got my daughter a new blackbook for University yesterday. You should have seen her face when I took out my tools and stripped out the memory and hard drive before she even got to play with it. She's now ready for the next 4 years with 320GB HDD and 2 Gig of RAM.