What do you guys use to clean your keyboard / chassis around the keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeanluc2011, Nov 26, 2011.

1. jeanluc2011 macrumors newbie

I bought electronic wipes designed for LCD screens but it doesn't seem to do a good job. Just wondering what kind of cleaning fluid / cloth you guys use.

2. PS65 macrumors 6502

iklear is good. The best stuff I have seen is this.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I only use the small black piece of cloth that came with my MBP. It's enough for me, at least as long as no one touches my screen with greasy fingers.

The problem with the AG screen is that you only see that it's actually dirty when sunlight shines on it.

4. happle macrumors 6502a

isnt that a pro, not a con..?

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, most of the time. Until you sit in a cafe with sun coming from the side and you notice that you can't see a thing because it's covered in dust. The dust does what the AG screen does not, namely reflect the light...

6. B.LI macrumors regular

My MBP has a keyboard skin so I just take that off and run it under the sink with some soap. but before I used to clean the keyboard with just a wetted lint-free cloth and finish off by spraying some air-duster to get the junk out.

Same here xD couldn't believe how dusty my screen was when the sunlight shines on to it.

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

OmniCleanz available directly from RadTech. I use it on all my electronics, camera lenses and eyeglasses. It's non-conductible so No Worries when using it on electronics...

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

9. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I find a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water works very well

10. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

Staples branded screen cleaner; cheap and effective

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I spray a little Invisible Glass on a micro fibre towel and wipe with that. Although the hot dog bun idea seems promising.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

13. Ant.honey macrumors regular

I also use hot dog buns, pita bread in a pinch.

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

dont use paper towl....its rough

i use the cloth that came with the macbook and an eyeglass cleaner. i thought, if it works for delicate eyewear, why not the macbook?

works like a charm

15. Mersailios macrumors regular

I use a 3M microfiber glass cleaning cloth and a homemade solution of 3 parts distilled water to 1 part 99% isopropyl alcohol, simply apply 3 squirts of the solution on the cloth and begin cleaning; this removes any fingerprints from the keyboard, trackpad, and unibody and it dries very quickly.

For the screen I use a 3M microfiber cleaning cloth and distilled water, if there's a stubborn smudge I will use a very small amount of the above solution with a little more water to take it off. Hasn't failed me yet and I've been using it for a year.

16. rican macrumors 6502

rican

I use iKlear on the screen and rubbing alcohol pads for the keyboard.

17. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Paper towels are made from wood pulp that contains tiny abrasive fibers. Depending on the display surface they can leave small scratches behind after cleaning.

Microfiber cloths are non-abrasive so they don't scratch displays. Keep in mind that not all microfiber cloths are created equal and that the more expensive microfiber cloths tend to be higher quality.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for...

18. Eliz macrumors member

got grease on my keyboard! cleaned with kerosene on cloth..

yeah so like 1 month back, i cleaned my bike with pure grease and then forgot to wash my hands and used my mac... only later did i realize the keys were turning yellowish... used a lil kerosene on a cloth and the it's much better now... but the thing still reeks of kerosene... lolz... what can be done???

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Same, water on a slightly dampened anti-static cloth. Works fine for everything except my iMac (High Res. Glossy Scree) I can't find anything that doesn't "Drag" on the surface of the screen, and the smears are starting to drive me nuts!

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

21. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Smears and more smears no? :)

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nope, just dirty fingers :)

23. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I use iKlear and I have a clear keyboard cover that I clean with soap and water once a week.

24. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's this damn coating that Apple put on the high res. glossy screens for the iMac. If you try and wipe it, the cloth kind of "Drags" or catches...I end up moving the crud around and not removing it....Has anybody found a way around this?

I'm not too sure about putting iklear on the high res. Apple advise against this but they don't say how to clean it apart from the steps I take now...(which do not work...)