What do you guys use to clean your keyboard / chassis around the keyboard?

jeanluc2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I bought electronic wipes designed for LCD screens but it doesn't seem to do a good job. Just wondering what kind of cleaning fluid / cloth you guys use.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I only use the small black piece of cloth that came with my MBP. It's enough for me, at least as long as no one touches my screen with greasy fingers.

The problem with the AG screen is that you only see that it's actually dirty when sunlight shines on it.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I only use the small black piece of cloth that came with my MBP. It's enough for me, at least as long as no one touches my screen with greasy fingers.

The problem with the AG screen is that you only see that it's actually dirty when sunlight shines on it.
isnt that a pro, not a con..?

B.LI

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
My MBP has a keyboard skin so I just take that off and run it under the sink with some soap. but before I used to clean the keyboard with just a wetted lint-free cloth and finish off by spraying some air-duster to get the junk out.

Same here xD couldn't believe how dusty my screen was when the sunlight shines on to it.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
OmniCleanz available directly from RadTech. I use it on all my electronics, camera lenses and eyeglasses. It's non-conductible so No Worries when using it on electronics...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I spray a little Invisible Glass on a micro fibre towel and wipe with that. Although the hot dog bun idea seems promising.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
dont use paper towl....its rough

i use the cloth that came with the macbook and an eyeglass cleaner. i thought, if it works for delicate eyewear, why not the macbook?

works like a charm

Mersailios

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2011
I use a 3M microfiber glass cleaning cloth and a homemade solution of 3 parts distilled water to 1 part 99% isopropyl alcohol, simply apply 3 squirts of the solution on the cloth and begin cleaning; this removes any fingerprints from the keyboard, trackpad, and unibody and it dries very quickly.

For the screen I use a 3M microfiber cleaning cloth and distilled water, if there's a stubborn smudge I will use a very small amount of the above solution with a little more water to take it off. Hasn't failed me yet and I've been using it for a year.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Paper towels are made from wood pulp that contains tiny abrasive fibers. Depending on the display surface they can leave small scratches behind after cleaning.

Microfiber cloths are non-abrasive so they don't scratch displays. Keep in mind that not all microfiber cloths are created equal and that the more expensive microfiber cloths tend to be higher quality.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for...

Eliz

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
got grease on my keyboard! cleaned with kerosene on cloth..

yeah so like 1 month back, i cleaned my bike with pure grease and then forgot to wash my hands and used my mac... only later did i realize the keys were turning yellowish... used a lil kerosene on a cloth and the it's much better now... but the thing still reeks of kerosene... lolz... what can be done???

neworleans-7

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
I use iKlear and I have a clear keyboard cover that I clean with soap and water once a week.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's this damn coating that Apple put on the high res. glossy screens for the iMac. If you try and wipe it, the cloth kind of "Drags" or catches...I end up moving the crud around and not removing it....Has anybody found a way around this?

I'm not too sure about putting iklear on the high res. Apple advise against this but they don't say how to clean it apart from the steps I take now...(which do not work...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.