What do you honestly need an iPhone 4S for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, Jan 7, 2012.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Infinity Blade II on an iPhone 4S looks the same and runs just as good on my 1.5 year old device. And I was told this is one of the most demanding Apps on iOS? :confused:

So what do you people really need an iPhone 4S for? Is it just the latest and greatest syndrome? :p

2. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

How about a worthy upgrade from a two year old 3GS?

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Some people (like me) have the 4S as their first iPhone. Some came from 3GS or even older. Some came from Android/WP7.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It's my first iPhone. Only use iPod Touch + Sony Ericsson before. So yeah, I'm getting 4s, no reason settling for less.

It's a worthy upgrade from iPod Touch 4G

5. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

You're only considering it against the iPhone 4 as in your case, of course not everyone is going to be in the same position like you. Hence why the iPhone 4s is still the most successful iPhone yet, despite it bringing relatively few new features.

6. jj48 macrumors regular

I upgraded from a 3GS. Honestly sometimes I forget it's a different phone though. FaceTime and the retina display are the only differences in my daily use of the phone that I notice.

Have been fairly underwhelmed by the 4S thus far. Probably need to vary my usage more to get the most out of it.

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That must be one of the top reasons, I believe.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iphone 4 -> 4S doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you want to go to another carrier like sprint or use Siri.

iPhone 3Gs -> 4S makes a lot of sense in that the differences in design, hardware and performance is quite start.

Non iPhone -> 4S makes a lot of sense, get top of the line if you can when changing over to the iPhone

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Bigger question is why do you care?

Have a good one!

10. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

What do I NEED it for? I need it for its email, camera, calendar, calling and texting features.

I enjoy it for its Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram features.

I occasionally need help with maps/GPS and restaurant discovery features.

What I don't need it for is Infinity Blade II.

YMMV.

11. blesio macrumors regular

I upgraded from iPhone 4 and the greatest jump is the power, no lags and all games run without any glitches whereas most power demanding titles had some frame rate loss on the iPhone 4. So speed was my reason number one. The second was the warranty, which is only one year so I sold iPhone 4 and don't have to worry that something breaks and I'll have to invest more money.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I finally sold off my 3GS yesterday and used the money to buy my 4S. What a great phone the 4S is!

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Other than first time new users, there's no _need_ for the 4S.

However the brilliance behind it is the huge profit it brings Apple in re-using the same design two years in a row. The cost savings to Apple is far beyond what many would believe.

Furthermore it's the incredible brilliance of the late Steve Jobs ability to convince the public that in order to "be cool" you must be seen with the latest Apple gadget. Proof of which is seen daily here in the forum. The man was the worlds best salesman. Customers clamoring for anything Apple.

All one has to do is read the responses to rumors with the slightest bit of "information" the eager followers say things like "take my money please".

Now in lieu of the master spin man, Apple will surely have to scramble to keep up that momentum & insatiable demand. Mark my word, many will go deep into denial about this statement but there's no denying it if one is honest and aware.

14. blesio macrumors regular

Oh and one more thing, I also upgraded from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS when it came out, speed was also the main factor...

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why do people care what phones people have or post who needs one? The fact is, it doesn't matter what phone you have. A phone or other material things doesn't define you, unless you own an Android phone. ;)

16. tekno macrumors 6502a

My 3GS was truly on its last legs, so needed to upgrade, but admittedly, it's no different really. Plus I've turned off most of the new features.

iMessage - usually sent as a text message after a 10min delay anyway and uses-up data allowance, so turned it off and stuck to my 600 free text messages per month

Siri - rarely works properly so turned it off after a few weeks

Reminders - never used it.

Location-based reminders - very specific locations and uses A LOT of battery, so never use it.

Only good thing is the battery. I can go well over 48hrs between charges now.

----------

I agree completely. I hated the design of the iPhone 4 and when the 4S came out, hated that too.

But is amazes me that no other phone really comes close. Everytime I see a friend with a Galaxy S2 I ask to have a play as I really want one, but in that short time find several flaws that persuades me to follow along like every other Apple sheep.

The moment a truly Apple-beating phone (and 'eco-system') comes out, I'll jump. But until then, I'll blindly buy each iPhone with quiet resignation.

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I have the 4 and feel the 4s does not bring anything significant to the table to warrant buying it outright. I don't lock myself into long contracts which is my choice.

I'll wait until the next installment of the iPhone is released.

18. jj48 macrumors regular

To clarify my last post. I would suggest that my reservations about the 4S are because the 3GS was just such a great bit of kit. Had it from launch till October '11 and it was still running beautifully.

19. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Couldn't say it better myself.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep! :)

Well put.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I upgraded from the 4 to the 4S, for two reasons:

- I wanted 64GB of storage because my videos, photo and music collection isn't getting any smaller, and I've surprised myself at the size and number of apps I have.

- When traveling, I tether my MacBook Pro and my wifi iPad. Data speeds that are about twice as fast made the upgrade worth it.

- I like taking pictures. I take more of them now with the better camera.

I don't play Infinity Blade.

22. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Because it was the newest model available when i switched from Android... I guess could've gotten the 4, but what sense would that have made?;)

23. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use mine to make phone calls.

24. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Display mirroring is useful to me, since I often demo our companies iOS apps.

25. peckerhead macrumors member

peckerhead

I upgraded from iPhone 3G and the difference is mindblowing.