What do you honestly need an iPhone 4S for?

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Infinity Blade II on an iPhone 4S looks the same and runs just as good on my 1.5 year old device. And I was told this is one of the most demanding Apps on iOS? :confused:

So what do you people really need an iPhone 4S for? Is it just the latest and greatest syndrome? :p

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
It's my first iPhone. Only use iPod Touch + Sony Ericsson before. So yeah, I'm getting 4s, no reason settling for less.

It's a worthy upgrade from iPod Touch 4G

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Infinity Blade II on an iPhone 4S looks the same and runs just as good on my 1.5 year old device. And I was told this is one of the most demanding Apps on iOS? :confused:

So what do you people really need an iPhone 4S for? Is it just the latest and greatest syndrome? :p
You're only considering it against the iPhone 4 as in your case, of course not everyone is going to be in the same position like you. Hence why the iPhone 4s is still the most successful iPhone yet, despite it bringing relatively few new features.

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
I upgraded from a 3GS. Honestly sometimes I forget it's a different phone though. FaceTime and the retina display are the only differences in my daily use of the phone that I notice.

Have been fairly underwhelmed by the 4S thus far. Probably need to vary my usage more to get the most out of it.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
iphone 4 -> 4S doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you want to go to another carrier like sprint or use Siri.

iPhone 3Gs -> 4S makes a lot of sense in that the differences in design, hardware and performance is quite start.

Non iPhone -> 4S makes a lot of sense, get top of the line if you can when changing over to the iPhone

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010

Bigger question is why do you care?

Have a good one!

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
What do I NEED it for? I need it for its email, camera, calendar, calling and texting features.

I enjoy it for its Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram features.

I occasionally need help with maps/GPS and restaurant discovery features.

What I don't need it for is Infinity Blade II.

YMMV.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I upgraded from iPhone 4 and the greatest jump is the power, no lags and all games run without any glitches whereas most power demanding titles had some frame rate loss on the iPhone 4. So speed was my reason number one. The second was the warranty, which is only one year so I sold iPhone 4 and don't have to worry that something breaks and I'll have to invest more money.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Other than first time new users, there's no _need_ for the 4S.

However the brilliance behind it is the huge profit it brings Apple in re-using the same design two years in a row. The cost savings to Apple is far beyond what many would believe.

Furthermore it's the incredible brilliance of the late Steve Jobs ability to convince the public that in order to "be cool" you must be seen with the latest Apple gadget. Proof of which is seen daily here in the forum. The man was the worlds best salesman. Customers clamoring for anything Apple.

All one has to do is read the responses to rumors with the slightest bit of "information" the eager followers say things like "take my money please".

Now in lieu of the master spin man, Apple will surely have to scramble to keep up that momentum & insatiable demand. Mark my word, many will go deep into denial about this statement but there's no denying it if one is honest and aware.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Oh and one more thing, I also upgraded from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS when it came out, speed was also the main factor...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Why do people care what phones people have or post who needs one? The fact is, it doesn't matter what phone you have. A phone or other material things doesn't define you, unless you own an Android phone. ;)

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
My 3GS was truly on its last legs, so needed to upgrade, but admittedly, it's no different really. Plus I've turned off most of the new features.

iMessage - usually sent as a text message after a 10min delay anyway and uses-up data allowance, so turned it off and stuck to my 600 free text messages per month

Siri - rarely works properly so turned it off after a few weeks

Reminders - never used it.

Location-based reminders - very specific locations and uses A LOT of battery, so never use it.

Only good thing is the battery. I can go well over 48hrs between charges now.

----------

Other than first time new users, there's no _need_ for the 4S.

However the brilliance behind it is the huge profit it brings Apple in re-using the same design two years in a row. The cost savings to Apple is far beyond what many would believe.

Furthermore it's the incredible brilliance of the late Steve Jobs ability to convince the public that in order to "be cool" you must be seen with the latest Apple gadget. Proof of which is seen daily here in the forum. The man was the worlds best salesman. Customers clamoring for anything Apple.

All one has to do is read the responses to rumors with the slightest bit of "information" the eager followers say things like "take my money please".

Now in lieu of the master spin man, Apple will surely have to scramble to keep up that momentum & insatiable demand. Mark my word, many will go deep into denial about this statement but there's no denying it if one is honest and aware.
I agree completely. I hated the design of the iPhone 4 and when the 4S came out, hated that too.

But is amazes me that no other phone really comes close. Everytime I see a friend with a Galaxy S2 I ask to have a play as I really want one, but in that short time find several flaws that persuades me to follow along like every other Apple sheep.

The moment a truly Apple-beating phone (and 'eco-system') comes out, I'll jump. But until then, I'll blindly buy each iPhone with quiet resignation.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I have the 4 and feel the 4s does not bring anything significant to the table to warrant buying it outright. I don't lock myself into long contracts which is my choice.

I'll wait until the next installment of the iPhone is released.

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
I upgraded from a 3GS. Honestly sometimes I forget it's a different phone though. FaceTime and the retina display are the only differences in my daily use of the phone that I notice.

Have been fairly underwhelmed by the 4S thus far. Probably need to vary my usage more to get the most out of it.
To clarify my last post. I would suggest that my reservations about the 4S are because the 3GS was just such a great bit of kit. Had it from launch till October '11 and it was still running beautifully.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
What do I NEED it for? I need it for its email, camera, calendar, calling and texting features.

I enjoy it for its Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram features.

I occasionally need help with maps/GPS and restaurant discovery features.

What I don't need it for is Infinity Blade II.

YMMV.
Couldn't say it better myself.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
How about a worthy upgrade from a two year old 3GS?
Yep! :)

iphone 4 -> 4S doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you want to go to another carrier like sprint or use Siri.

iPhone 3Gs -> 4S makes a lot of sense in that the differences in design, hardware and performance is quite start.

Non iPhone -> 4S makes a lot of sense, get top of the line if you can when changing over to the iPhone
Well put.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I upgraded from the 4 to the 4S, for two reasons:

- I wanted 64GB of storage because my videos, photo and music collection isn't getting any smaller, and I've surprised myself at the size and number of apps I have.

- When traveling, I tether my MacBook Pro and my wifi iPad. Data speeds that are about twice as fast made the upgrade worth it.

- I like taking pictures. I take more of them now with the better camera.

I don't play Infinity Blade.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Because it was the newest model available when i switched from Android... I guess could've gotten the 4, but what sense would that have made?;)

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use mine to make phone calls.