What do you know now that you wish you knew then abt your iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beaumonde, Oct 13, 2008.

1. beaumonde macrumors newbie

(I did a search of the forum and didn't find a similar thread. If there is one, mods, please feel free to delete this one!)

I'm a newbie and am (finally) getting ready to take the plunge and get an iPhone. I'm thinking about the 16 gig in white...

So my question is: What do you know now about your iPhone 3G that you wish you knew then (when you first got it)?

After reading through this forum for the last couple hours, I've learned the following:
    1. Get a good screen cover (and probably a case too)
    2. AT&T $25 referral
    3. Corporate discount

What I've not concluded:
    1. 16 gig v 8 gig (seems like the extra $100 is worth it)
    2. black or white (I know it's mostly a style thing, but does the white really discolour?)
    3. "Bad apps" that you regret downloading?

Other things I should ponder? :D

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Sounds like you are right on track with your thinking. In my personal opinion, 16GB is the way to go. And as far as I can tell, the White iPhone does not discolor. Mine's still as bright as Day 1.

Congrats on getting an iPhone. You're going to love it!

3. PatrickRS macrumors member

What I didn't fully appreciate in buying my iPhone were the draconian limitations in Apple's SDK.

Coming from the rich software environment of the Treo, I knew things wouldn't be as good on the fledgling iPhone platform but fully expected it to rapidly catch up.

Alas, it is not to be (unlesss Apple makes a radical shift in its policies).

Two of the most important restrictions from my POV:
    • No access to the USB port, so no over-the-wire syncing from an iPhone app to a desktop companion app (my company forbids wireless networks in the building).
    • No access to the Calendar database -- so no DateBk6-like apps. Would-be calendar apps will have to define their own proprietary calendar database, which is truly ugly.

4. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I wish I knew that the speeds weren't as quick as the ad says, and same with the GPS finding my position.

I used to wish that I knew Apps didn't d/l that quick (on the ad) but with 2.1 thank god they do.

That is all for now.

5. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I wish I'd known how easily the plastic back marks/scuffs. By most folks standards mine is probably still pretty much as good as new, but having being veeeery carefully looked after since I got it, I can't believe it is still picking up marks. :(

And secondly, I wish somebody had made it quite clear that you lose days of your life just playing with the damn thing! :eek:

6. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

16gig is the way to go. I was on the fence (white is what made up my mind) and I'm so glad I went with the 16gig version. After playing and tweaking and playing and downloading and playing I have less than a gig left.

I love the white.. it hasn't discolored a bit, though there are teeny tiny cracks in a few places that you probably wouldn't be able to see if the phone was black.