What do you most want to see added to Microsoft Office for Mac? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ozaz, Oct 30, 2011.

?

What do you most want to see added to Microsoft Office for Mac?

Poll closed Dec 29, 2011.
  1. Access

14 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. InfoPath

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. OneNote

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Project

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Publisher

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. SharePoint

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Visio

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. I'd rather nothing was added

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. ozaz, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

ozaz macrumors 65816

I'm curious as to whether there is clear consensus amongst Mac users as to which application (currently present in the Windows version but absent in the Mac version) they would most like to have added to the Mac version of Microsoft Office. Please vote and comment.

[UPDATED: In, particular, if you vote that you'd rather nothing was added, please explain why]

For me its definitely OneNote.

2. swedefish macrumors 6502

Access because I can't count the number of times I have had academics asking me to make a (useless) database for them in said application.

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

Personally I would like to see OneNote added. They have already teased us with an iOS app, so do the Mac App as well.

As for the other apps, Word for Mac already does most of what Publisher does, so it really isn't that great of an addition on the Mac side.

Access would be nice, but I can't see how it would be any better than FileMaker Pro. FileMaker Pro has been the standard on the Mac since way back. I've used Access on my Windows laptop and although a good program, no where near as easy as FileMaker Pro.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

less is better..bloasted hurts mac performance

5. Dnix macrumors 6502

Probably Access. I use Excel quite a bit, and use my own little ghetto "database" to populate lots of fields quickly (ie the scrapbook, lol).

It would be nice to keep that stuff in a DB, and "Access" it (har har) from there. :D

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

What really needs to be done IMHO is to make Outlook for Mac comparable to Outlook for Windows 7. Currently it has far less capability.

7. RHA macrumors newbie

Add .pub support

There is no simple support for publisher files. Running Fusion so my wife does not need to recreate years of newsletters and simple collages.

8. swester macrumors regular

How about making Outlook 2011 actually usable? As it stands now, it's a complete joke compared to Apple Mail or Outlook on Windows; nothing but crashes, incompatibility (no way to sync with Google Calendar?) and a buggy UI.

9. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

If you work in Windows-dominated environments (i.e. most organisations), IMO arguments such as those should be superseded by the compatability benefit that would be gained from more apps in the Mac suite.

10. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Stability, some more stability, and finally stability. Than after all that, maybe OneNote and Visio?

11. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

An interface that doesn't suck 1991 donkey balls.

12. rutledjw macrumors member

Improved Outlook support

I'm one of those guerrilla Mac users and while Outlook has made HUGE strides (in my mind), there are a couple open items that need addressing.

The calendar needs improvement so I can book resources (conference rooms). Today, those don't even come up in my address book. Last I tried, I had some issues with Google sync as well (although I didn't make a huge effort)

Why, in the WORLD, would anyone want Visio on a Mac??? I hate that tool with every ounce of my being. I am so aggravated with odd object behaviour I don't know where to start. Omni-Graffle is SO much easier to use (although certainly not perfect)

13. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Why don't you want new apps added?

Although only about 25 votes so far, I'm a bit surprised to see as much as 20% voting they'd rather nothing else was added.

From a couple of comments above, one reason seems to be a preference for the improvement of existing features and stability to take priority over additional features, and another seems to be a preference for the avoidance of bloat. Did anyone else have another reason for voting that way?

Cheers.

14. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

ONE NOTE already in MS Office 2011

For all those that said they wanted One Note, it's already in Word 2011 (Kind of). You can create notebooks in Word which include Audio Notes. It's a good feature (crashes on my MBA sometimes :s). This notebook layout can be accessed by selecting 2nd to right icon at bottom left (next to full screen). Give it a go!

15. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

One issue with that is notebooks in Word for Mac are not compatible with OneNote notebooks. So you can't synchronise OneNote on a Windows PC (or on iOS) with Word for Mac notebooks or collaborate on shared OneNote notebooks.

Also, Word for Mac notebook is just not as good as a dedicated notebook app (although I accept it probably meets the requirements of some). Therefore, if I didn't need to work cross-platform, I'd personally use one of the other dedicated notebook Mac apps mentioned in a thread on OneNote alternatives rather than use the Word for Mac notebook feature. Currently the best (albeit frustrating) option for me is to run OneNote in a virtual machine on my Mac.