What do you personally do to take care of your batter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macsymacker, Dec 20, 2011.

1. macsymacker macrumors member

I guess there are two types of users.

Who naturally complete a cycle each day or two to three times a week;

And those who use the device plugged in most of the time and who try on purpose to consume the battery to keep juices flowing.

Assuming it's harder for those falling under the second category to exercise the battery, if you are one, can you share what do you do to take care of the battery and what are your past experiences?

If you use it plugged in almost all the time, what do you do and how often do you do it to keep the battery healthy?

Thank you.

PS. I did a search but couldn't find an example besides what Apple provides on their page which is to complete a cycle a week. This compared to what they say as the best type of use (completing a cycle once every few days) does not seem enough. So if you please can refer other threads, I'd love to read. Thank you.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There is also a third type of user:

Those that just don't care about cycles and use the computer as, and when, necessary sometimes plugged in, sometimes not.

In general, I use the computer plugged in because the CPU and GPU is slower when unplugged.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

My batter normally takes care of itself, until I put it into the oven.... :D

4. glen e macrumors 68030

here we go with 42 pages....

just use the damn computer any way you want...it does not matter in the long run...

5. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

I just use my Air however i want, i don't bother concerning myself with the health of the battery. Just enjoy using your product.

6. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I just use it how and when I want. My understanding is that nowadays batteries are clever enough to look after themselves, all that business of running them down completely and then charging them right up to avoid issues of "battery charge memory" is, as far as I am concerned a thing of the past.

AS someone said earlier just use your mac and enjoy it.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I make sure he gets plenty of rest the night before and eats a healthy breakfast the day of the game. A rigorous exercise program helps, and it doesn't hurt if he has a clean uniform to wear. Of course, a batting helmet protects him while swinging! :D

If instead you're talking about batteries, just run on battery when you need to, plug it in when you can, and forget about it. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as the battery needs to be exercised (just like the batter) to stay healthy. If you're using your Mac notebook primarily at the desk, unplug every few days and run on battery for a few hours, then plug it back in. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I take care of my batter by giving him a decent helmet, just in case the pitcher throws the ball at his head. I often like to give him Gatorade to quench his thirst as well.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The key is to not overmix the batter, just get it nice and combined. Don't try to whisk all the lumps out. That way you keep the air bubbles trapped which makes for a light, fluffy pancake.

Mmmm.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Best advice

11. LordVic macrumors 601

you know what buddy.

I was going to say the same thign!

nothing sucks more than a pancake that just feels flat and tasteless!

12. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone for the deliciously funny responses. ;-)
    Now perhaps this might be one of the funniest recently posted threads on all forums.
    Cheers! xDD

13. Akack macrumors 6502a

14. Tenashus1, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

15. tmoerel macrumors 6502

OK.....there are so many people saying absolute bull about Lithium-Polymer batteries but:

1. LiPo's do not like being totally emptied
    2. LiPo's live longer if charged up regularly
    3. LiPo's have a limited life which is shortened by NOT charging them or letting them drain completely.
    4. LiPo's do not like overcharging....luckily MacBooks have very good chargers which do never overcharge

Conclusion. Charge often, never discharge completely and run on mains power when possible!

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rather than go on your inaccurate generic information, it's more accurate to follow Apple's recommendations for proper care of the particular battery technology employed in Apple notebooks, which can be found in the Battery FAQ.

17. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I just use it as I go but my air is purely meant for portable use (I have a mini as a desktop) so I'm running it off battery all the time.

If you do use it as a desktop replacement for months at a time (in which case the Air is probably not the best choice), Apple says to leave it off the charger at least once a month to keep it going.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A lot of people mistakenly think this means they have to fully discharge and recharge the battery all at one time, once a month. You can discharge/recharge it 25% 4 times, which would be a full cycle. Or discharge/recharge twice to 50%. As long as you're using a full cycle at least once a month, it doesn't matter. And once a month is a minimum. Once or twice a week is preferable.

19. jojoba macrumors 68000

Yep, I'm in this category.

20. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

assuming you're not gaming or any heavy lifting, I saw no difference on or off battery. I even ran some full HD video to my TV on battery and saw no difference, besides a huge chunk of battery life gone afterwards

21. jojoba macrumors 68000

Oh, I don't know about the GPU/CPU thing, maybe theSeb can comment - I was just agreeing with this bit

But more often than not, I keep it plugged in if there's a socket nearby.

22. GGJstudios, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've seen no evidence of this. For Mac notebooks with removable batteries, the system will throttle the CPU if running on AC power with no battery installed, but that obviously doesn't affect newer notebooks with built-in batteries. There is generally no difference in performance between AC power and battery, unless you've selected "Better Energy Savings" instead of "Better Performance" for "Battery" in System Preferences > Energy Saver.

23. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I have this documented in my benchmark thread. Cine bench CPU and open gl tests run much slower when unplugged. I can repeat this over and over again without changing settings. I can repeat the tests and post results later tonight.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What are your Energy Saver settings?

25. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't see anything odd in preferences

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then when we run Cinebench not plugged in:

[​IMG]

Now I've just plugged the charger in and ran the test again (it normally varies slightly. The score above is the top score out of all the times I've ran the test)

[​IMG]