Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
Looking to buy a video card for another quicksilver I just obtained. Which is the best for Graphic Design, 3D animation (Maya), and Multimedia (FCP,Adobe AE)?

Can my 2002 Quicksilver really benefit with another 9800Pro or should I get a lesser model. I heard that my quicksilver can't really benefit from such a fast card, is this true and how about nvidia? Money is no object, i just want to get the best and not get too much icing on the cake if you know what i mean.

Thanks for any future suggestions. :confused:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
If you're not doing anything 3D then the graphics card isn't really an issue. I'm sure you're fine for everything except Maya. Even then I'm not sure since I'm not 100 certain what Maya does. 3D gaming requires a decent video card, but if you're creating 3D graphics then the muscle that does that is probably the processor, not the video card. Whatever is in your computer now is probably more than enough.

dudeami

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
Texas
I have been thinking about different upgrade options for my Quicksilver 2002 as well. I have done some research on Xbench, xlr8yourmac and elsewhere. Xbench may take you some time, because you will have to look for your model and the graphics cards you are thinking about. However for the most part I have not seen big performance boost (especially in frames per second)above the NVidia 4FX included in the quicksilver 2002 model I have (933 MHz). The performance increases with the upgraded processor card and graphics card combination. However the feedback that I have heard is that you can increase the resolution without losing performance if you get a newer graphics card, and keep the same processor.

Sorry if that doesn't help you much, but I've pretty much determined that I'm not going to upgrade my graphics card until I'm ready to upgrade the processor, or wait until newer generation of graphics cards comes out that increases throughput more dramatically.

mnstr_trd_sd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
san diego, ca.
I do a lot of 3D, video, web, actually, everything but programing and I'm planning on upgrading my processors at the same time to the dual 1.4 powerlogix.

I've got one quicksilver running this setup already with the 9800pro (I set this one up thinking more expensive is best). I guess my main worrie is that i'm getting a video card that has way more power that my computer can actually utilize. I was wondering if that is the case or if i should go with a lower model, and save a little money, that my quicksilver can use.

will the 9800pro be fully utilized to it's ability, keeping in mind that the quicksilver only has a 133 bus speed and will be running on two 1.4's and 2 internal hard drives and 1.5Gig of ram.

Hey thanks for replying guys, i can use all the info i can get. :eek:

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
mnstr_trd_sd said:
I do a lot of 3D, video, web, actually, everything but programing and I'm planning on upgrading my processors at the same time to the dual 1.4 powerlogix.

I've got one quicksilver running this setup already with the 9800pro (I set this one up thinking more expensive is best). I guess my main worrie is that i'm getting a video card that has way more power that my computer can actually utilize. I was wondering if that is the case or if i should go with a lower model, and save a little money, that my quicksilver can use.

will the 9800pro be fully utilized to it's ability, keeping in mind that the quicksilver only has a 133 bus speed and will be running on two 1.4's and 2 internal hard drives and 1.5Gig of ram.

Hey thanks for replying guys, i can use all the info i can get. :eek:

If you play games, i'd say that the Radeon 9800Pro would reach about 50% of its max power on a 1.4ghz processor. However, for the apps you listed, none take advantage of 3d acceleration, so it really doesn't matter what video card you have. If you're concerned about still having good speed, i'd recommend you pick up a Radeon 9600 or 9200 and save yourself some money.

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
If money was no object, I'd buy a G5 and not waste another cent on a QuicksilverPM.

Also if the apps you use are cross platform, A PC will run them faster, sorry it's just fact.
Save your money and wait until REV.B PMG5's are released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.