What do you suggest I have for my MBA for college?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DrJames, Feb 14, 2012.

1. DrJames macrumors member

I'd like to get a price range for accessories and other things I'll need for a 13" MBA for this fall for college. If anyone can help me out, that would be greatly appreciated!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suggest applications that you will need for college. Your school should have a list of those, though I'm sure Office is on the list.

You'll want to get some sort of carrying case/backpack. I may also recommend a laptop stand that holds your laptop off the desk. This helps incase of accidental spills.

3. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

You don't need any accessories. $0

If you want to get a case or something, that'll run you about $20-$40 but it's not really needed.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What college? What is the major? If it is specific then they may have requirements. Law school requires Windows, as far as I know. Stuff like that.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Zero to thousands of dollars. Nobody but you can tell you what you "need", so maybe you'd care to be more specific for a better estimate.

6. DrJames thread starter macrumors member

Basic software such as iWork, MS Office music making and editing. Streaming movies and other videos. Pretty basic stuff.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My school gave us Office for "free" (HAHAHA), I could download both the Mac and PC version, which was nice. I need the PC version for an Access DB and was happy to still have a mac version!

8. thomanjones macrumors regular

Broad request, here's my 2¢

For Hardware protection, data loss prevention.

External HDD for Time Machine (I like the Lacie Rugged drives)

Protective Case/Sleeve/Bag (I like Tom Bihn and Chrome)

A laptop stand (get it off the desk to significantly reduce the risk of drink spill damage)

An online backup account from Mozy/Carbonite/Backblaze (Happiness is multiple backups)

A Dropbox account for schoolwork (laptop stolen/broken night before term paper is due? No worries, I can go to the computer lab and pick up right where I left off)

An Evernote account for schoolwork (clip references, organize courses into notebooks, record lectures, etc)

'Reward for return' Identity Labels (I use stuffbak's metal labels)

Labelmaker (Label all your accessories and chargers with your first name and phone number- if it's worth more than 75$ or so, use a stuffbak type label instead).

An iTunes account with 'find my mac' enabled

A 'Prey' account as a backup to 'find my mac'

Extras:

External Monitor w/ MDP and built in speakers (HDMI too and it can double as a game console screen if you are bringing a gaming device or Bluray player; built in speakers reduces cable spaghetti) (check newegg, amazon for best deals)

External non-apple mouse for gaming (Razer FTW :p )

External mac Keyboard (so laptop is easy to type on when on its stand at your desk)

A USB Ethernet Adapter- wifi may be nearly ubiquitous, but it's nice to have a backup ready.

USB headset- for Skype/ video chat/ gaming.

9. jsgreen macrumors 6502

+1 for Evernote, Dropbox and Prey

I'd also recommend CrashPlan for online backups

Pandora subscription and PandoraJam

Scrivener for managing papers and associated research

Timeline 3D in case you are majoring in History or some other subject which has a timeline related subject

10. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

lol No it doesn't. What kind of law school are you talking about?

11. thomanjones, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

thomanjones macrumors regular

Apparently there is proprietary exam software that a number of law schools are using that is Windows only, and some of the 'no cheat' features can be circumvented by using a VM (and testing supervisors can't tell 'for sure' that an individual is using bootcamp, thus nothing with an Apple logo+keyboard allowed for the actual exam).

Thread regarding law school and PC/Mac (old, but probably still partially relevant): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=197012

12. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just get office, iLife can do the rest.

Depends on what you are studying. As you haven't mentioned that, it probably isn't important what you get.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually a number of colleges highly recommend and/or require a certain platform - mostly windows. That has started to change but I know parents who's kids were told that they need to buy a windows machine. I can't comment specifically about law schools but I can say in general that some colleges do expect their students to use a certain platform.

14. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

I got you all covered.

boot camp OEM copy of windows 7

I like cases that don't look like laptop cases. I am not saying you need this one, but something like it.

Don't ever leave your backpack or gear alone. Many of my friends got stuff jacked.

If you don't have the apple care get it. They have a discount on the apple care for students still I think. Even if you did not just buy your macbook air you should still be able to get it.

This is a nice free option if you don't have Microsoft office. Its also good for backing up your homework and reports incase you lose your macbook air or it gets damaged. Lets you access your home work even when you don't have your macbook air with you. Its always good to have a backup.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps/

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=18217l18217l0l18639l1l1l0l0l0l0l73l73l1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=838&q=macbook+air+13+case&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9296577620821682124&sa=X&ei=Vc07T-TvMe-y0AHww4W8Cw&ved=0CHkQ8gIwAQ#ps-sellers

15. thomanjones macrumors regular

Also- Google docs/calendar are awesome free tools. You can color code your calendar, add in your semester schedule, due dates, etc. Might seem a bit anal, but if everything is written down, you can purge that info from your brain.

With google docs, all of your classwork is a single click away from your gmail inbox, always backed up, always available, and you can download files into various formats (word, excel, PDF, etc). Note: For complex docs/excel files/powerpoint presentations, I recommend sticking with MS Office. You can always upload 'original, unconverted' files for safe keeping.