What Do You Think About the Thad Cochran Victory in Mississippi?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The setup: A close primary, a runoff, a State with open primaries, the ability of a voter to vote for any party.

The Execution: Thad Cochran, an establishment Republican running against an upstart Tea Oarty candidate fearing he (Cochran) will lose in the Primary runoff, appeals to Democratic black voters who did not vote in the State's Democratic Primary to vote for him... And he wins the runoff election!

What do you think- fair or unfair?

I'm not sure if I would categorize this as unfair, but personally if my candidate lost based on this scenario, I'd be bitter.

However, I acknowledge that if planned, this would be a very tricky maneuver to pull off especially if you had two people running against each other competitively in your party and you wanted one of them to win their primary. I really don't see this as something that can be orchestrated by a political party reliably, but just was a byproduct of apathetic black voters who suddenly felt a reason to vote, the need to keep a Tea Party candidate out of office.

Are open primaries as a rule good or bad? They do give voters more options in not being locked into voting for a single party. Ultimately I'd have to regard this as a good thing.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I get the feeling it will be challenged. NPR had an article about this earlier.. just a moment…

Ahh.. here it is.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpoli...n-thad-cochran-beats-back-tea-party-challenge

A snippet:

If it is close to call, McDaniel will more than likely challenge the election, based off the bold alone.

BL.

3. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

How can I complain? We did it to Cynthia McKinney (D) twice. That's right, the GOP crossover vote primaried her TWICE. Tossed her out on her butt, both times. I smiled when I cast the vote both times. First time for Denise Majette (D) and the second time for Hank Johnson (D). Fortunately, I'm now in the neighboring district.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

I assume that you support Open Primaries. In theory I support the concept. What would be really nice if I as an Independent voter, could vote in primaries. :)

5. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

I can't say that I support open primaries, but I also can't say that I don't support them. That is something that I'll have to think of the pros and cons on. But I will play within the rules. If the rules say that I can crossover, I guess they have to accept it. Just as Thad will have to… But if some of those voters voted in the Democratic primary AND the Republican primary, there will be a new Senator in January.

[​IMG]

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

It's cheap, but perfectly within the rules. Everyone knew he was going to do it and McDaniel couldn't get the turnout up enough on his side to compensate.

Sounds like the voters spoke pretty clear as to what they wanted here.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

But if the voters voted in the Democrat primary and then in the Republican primary, as well. It will be a problem.

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

The advantage for minority voters is that if their Democratic candidate is defeated in the general election, they will still get what they perceive as the better GOP candidate.

----------

This is not allowed and the system should be setup to prevent this.

----------

Being a close tally in the primary resulted in this runoff. I don't know how runoff elections are handled if they too are close. Hopefully not endless runoffs.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I hate to agree with SD below, but, those are the rules, and, to some extent, the rules were changed exactly so that this could happen-- an extremist from one party knocked out of the running by "at large" voters.

I think this may be a good example of why open primaries are good. They lessen the power of extremists who can win primaries, leaving no good choices for moderates.

Hey, we agree! The rules are the rules.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's remember that open primaries were invented by Southern Republicans as a way to draw in Goldwater Democrats. Live by the open primary, die by the open primary.

One less Tea Party nutter going to Congress. What's not to like?

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

All righty then!:D but now they have been bitten by it they will want to renege, but since a Tea Party candidate went down, maybe not. ;)

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

We had open primaries. I remember one year, the Republican candidate for governor was a droolng religious wacko, attributed to cross-over voting. The Republican party filed a suit over the primary set up and won (something about freedom of association in the first amendment). So the state wrestled with the primary setup for about a decade (the parties wanted closed primaries, the voters did not). So, now we have one wide-open primary. All the candidates are on one ballot, you vote for the one you really want. Which, really, sounds like the best approach all around.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Well obviously if there is illegal activity and voter fraud going on that is a whole different can of worms. But, assuming it isn't, this is what it is.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is exactly what I was alluding to in my post. McDaniel will want to scrutinize every vote made by a Democrat in this election, and cross reference them in the Democrat primary. If they match, he would have a perfectly legit reason to challenge the election results.

With his not conceding, you could all but guarantee that he'll go that route, and challenge if he finds something out of the ordinary.

BL.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

And if I was him, I'd do the same. Unless Mississippi has a way to cross check that electronically, and I'm under the impression that they don't… Anyone who voted in the Democratic primary and then voted in the Republican primary, would have to have that vote tossed out. We are talking a vote difference of 6k votes. In one county, Hinds County, the total votes in the primary were 16k but in the runoff were 25k.

Either way, a Republican is going to hold that seat. It's merely a question of which one.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is generally corrupt/illegal to cast more than one vote in a single election. However, it not obvious that the run-off is the same election.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Right, but Da Rules say if you do cast a ballot in both the Democrat and Republican Primaries, the vote doesn't count. So they will be going over these vote-by-vote looking for 6k they can throw out.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think open primaries are stupid. It is like letting the Yankees decide who will be pitching for the Red Sox in game 7 of the World Series.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Mickey Mouse?

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

To me, the oddest thing about this election was the support McDaniel was able to attain despite his anti-government spending platform. I saw an article that said Mississippi gets ~48% of its funding from the federal government. Talk about dissonance.

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yes, but the primary ended. This was not the primary, it was the run-off. Not the same election.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

But on the other side of that ledger, there is a bit of ingenious thinking on the part of Cochran. If you think about it, McDaniel's stance on that would have caused him to be so distant to the rest of the base there, that it probably would have thrown the Senate seat to the hands of the Blues. Cochran's use of Democrats voting in this all but secured the seat for the Reds, as there would have been a very good chance that McDaniel would not have survived the general election in November.

Good strategy on Cochran's part.

BL.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree. Some Republican talking head said it makes Cantor look even worse for losing.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Incorrect. The Runoff is part of the primary. The primary resulted in not candidate and therefore they had to have a runoff. Any candidate who cast a ballot in the Democrat primary is ineligible to vote in the Republican Primary or any runoff from it.

25. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

But the other side of that analogy is that for every player they decide for another team, that's one player they don't decide for their own team. That's why I don't believe crossover voting is nearly as common as some would like us to believe.

Plus, it gives people who don't vote a straight ticket an opportunity to choose at least some of their potential candidates.