What do you think about this Top Secret NSA slide?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, May 15, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

It bothers me a lot. It's from Wikipedia.

Attached Files:

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Hey, that is classified, you better not get caught posting it on the internet!

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Everything on Wikipedia is Classified. Only a select few can access that Super Secret Site!:eek:

;):D

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

It says we live in a police state.

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I think it's outrageous :mad: What happened the the Constitution? How can the US government violate and get away?

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

PBS Frontline is running a great 2 part series on this. I think it is so far the most in depth look.

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

It doesn't. It only applies to non-US citizens. Like, for real.

Source: Family member works there.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you are serious, how does the system distinguish between citizens and non-citizens?

10. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

After I saw this image, I thought this thread was a necro from like a year ago.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yes, actually I am serious.

To answer your question, I have no idea. But I have been told by said family member a million times that they very consciously avoid collecting ANY data on US citizens, and if they did collect any and discover it, it's purged, like immediately.

They have this drilled into their heads CONSTANTLY during training.

I'm hunting through my email archives to find some discussions I've had with him about the NSA and privacy issues, having trouble finding them, but I'll post them when I do.

He's a GS-15 (or maybe SES now?) high up in the Cyber Defense area.

12. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I think the same thing I thought when those slides hit the news a year ago.

13. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

How do we know he is telling the truth? The NSA has lied before and they are probably lying again to save face. I don't trust the NSA nor should you.

14. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

He's a very close family member. We've had long conversations about it. Several of my friends from grad school also work there, and I hear the same from them (although we hardly ever talk about it).

Hell, I almost went to work there as well about 10 years ago (right out of grad school), but chose a different agency (NSF OIG). I had a pot arrest (but no conviction) on my record and was a bit concerned about getting the super-duper-duper security clearance, and NSF OIG only required a Secret clearance.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The NSA company line is to tell you they are not spying on you. That sir is a lie. You need to find better friends and family.

16. macmesser macrumors 6502a

What does the NSF-OIG do?

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is a complete load of crap, and I don't believe for a second that the NSA only spies on non-citizens.

Agreed.

Agreed.

19. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Standard Executive Agency OIG (Office of Inspector General).

Uncover/stop waste, fraud, abuse within the agency. Although since the primary mission of NSF is to give away $ to universities to do scientific research, most of the time we were auditing/prosecuting universities/people who worked there, not people who actually worked at NSF (although we did that, too).

http://www.nsf.gov/oig/mandv.jsp

When I worked there, we got back more than 4x our annual budget in recovered funds each year.

----------

Why? That's what the FBI is for.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Watch the link I posted for your answers.

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

As you haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, I'll let that slide.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Really? As of right now you are the one that doesn't seem to have a clue.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/united-states-of-secrets/ watch it. It explains how the NSA broke the law, and continues to do so today.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Really, we are supposed to take the word of an anonymous poster who has a "close family member" that works for the agency in question?

If SouthernDad had a source like this for something would you believe him? :rolleyes:

24. lannister80, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

EDIT: Unsure if this counts as proof. I have his card in my wallet, I forgot about that!

[​IMG]

But he and I both went through this program and the vast majority of the graduates go to either NSA or FBI (FBI for forensics, NSA for cyber defense/crypto):

https://www.sfs.opm.gov/

I'll take a picture of my CyberCorp tshirt in my closet when I get home. :)

That's how I got my 100% free-of-charge MS in CompSci (and a living stipend, too, so I didn't have to work, could go to school full time and knock out my MS in 3 semesters).

He also did a "rotation" at the White House OSTP (Office of Science and Technology Policy) during the later Bush years, which is how I got my sweet sweet West Wing tour.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Proof that you know a person that works there and proof that they are telling you the truth are different. Why would a person who's job is to spy tell you so? That would go against the job description. So in reality you don't know anything about what the NSA does. And for you to claim to know what a agency that has been caught lying to tell you the truth is laughable.