What do you think is going to happen when the counter hits 500,000,000?


joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
1,355
1
Maine
Hopefully a lot of people. I'm hoping updates on iBook, PB and Mac Mini...but more than likely it will be iTunes/iPod related.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Apple changes their homepage. A press release is sent out. Some lucky person chooses his/hers 10 iPods. Then on Monday, we hear it all over Mac websites and in the news. MR forum members will taking about it for the next 3 days, and Apple's homepage changes again when they finally release the new iBooks.
 

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
5,490
1
Mac since 7.5
This is a promo to celebrate the success of the iTMS and iPod. Why does anyone think this is tied to other Apple kit? I'm all for new iBooks and Mac mini's NEXT TUESDAY, but I don't think it hinges on 500,000,000 songs being purchased from the iTMS. :confused:
 

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
107
10
Do the Math

Hi all,
I just did some rough math on the counter, and right now it is going at 500 songs/min. Now, if this is a real counter of the number of songs and not just a arbitrary countdown program, the rate should increase as it gets closer to 500,000,000; as more people will buy songs, in the hope of winning the Shiny prize. However, if the rate is fixed by the program, we can expect it to hit the mark between 9:30 AM and 10:00 AM EST on Monday. I have no idea what will happen when it reaches; for all we know, China will invade Taiwan, nuke the US and start WW3 (bit of a long shot though!).
GK
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Is it better to buy a song when it's 1000 before or after? Anyone know how the counter works, apart from what's been said before. What interval does it refresh?
 

iDM

macrumors 6502a
The counter will stop, someone will win, and threads will explode with angry people waiting for iBook and PowerBook updates(I want them to, but I just doubt they are going to release products based on a counter that does not have any relation to hardware besides the ipod.)
 

iDM

macrumors 6502a
GKThursday said:
Hi all,
I just did some rough math on the counter, and right now it is going at 500 songs/min. Now, if this is a real counter of the number of songs and not just a arbitrary countdown program, the rate should increase as it gets closer to 500,000,000; as more people will buy songs, in the hope of winning the Shiny prize. However, if the rate is fixed by the program, we can expect it to hit the mark between 9:30 AM and 10:00 AM EST on Monday. I have no idea what will happen when it reaches; for all we know, China will invade Taiwan, nuke the US and start WW3 (bit of a long shot though!).
GK
I take back what I thought was going to happen, I'm going with this guys idea.
 

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,076
11
Why is it that people think apple will update the ibooks when the counter hits 500,000,000 it makes no sense for them to do it like that. The countdown is the celebration of the sucess of ipods not ibooks or powerbooks, people are just latching onto the idea that new laptops will be released when it hits the big number because its the next big mac thing...
 

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,076
11
powermac666 said:
This is a promo to celebrate the success of the iTMS and iPod. Why does anyone think this is tied to other Apple kit? I'm all for new iBooks and Mac mini's NEXT TUESDAY, but I don't think it hinges on 500,000,000 songs being purchased from the iTMS. :confused:
like he said :)
 

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,076
11
also the rate at which the counter climbs is changeing if your previous estimate of 500 per minute was correct I just checked and got 950 per minute so its geting faster fast.
 

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
1,586
32
Some very happy person is going to get 10 iPods... which, in U.S. dollars is basically up to $4,000 worth of iPod. If I won, I'd keep two of the 60Gb iPods then sell the other eight and buy a sweet Powermac. :D
 

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
351
0
AP_piano295 said:
also the rate at which the counter climbs is changeing if your previous estimate of 500 per minute was correct I just checked and got 950 per minute so its geting faster fast.
It was 1000 pm yesterday as well so there really isnt any acceleration at the moment. Perhaps around 499.990.000 it will accelerate FAST.
 

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
750
13
GKThursday said:
Hi all,
I just did some rough math on the counter, and right now it is going at 500 songs/min. Now, if this is a real counter of the number of songs and not just a arbitrary countdown program, the rate should increase as it gets closer to 500,000,000; as more people will buy songs, in the hope of winning the Shiny prize. However, if the rate is fixed by the program, we can expect it to hit the mark between 9:30 AM and 10:00 AM EST on Monday. I have no idea what will happen when it reaches; for all we know, China will invade Taiwan, nuke the US and start WW3 (bit of a long shot though!).
GK
I explained on a previous post how the counter system is working. Basically, it is a real counter and it does have a variable rate. And no, there won't be updates. It's a promotional giveaway...
 

jmmdg6

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2005
12
0
What you talkin bout Willis? The counter has gone up 200,000 in about 3 hours. Won't it be done sometime this afternoon (USA)? I'm no math major, but please correct me if I am way off.

PS- Someone should have started a thread to guess what time (EST) the counter would hit 500,000,000. My guess is Sunday, July 17 at 6:15 PM.
 

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
1,355
1
Maine
AP_piano295 said:
Why is it that people think apple will update the ibooks when the counter hits 500,000,000 it makes no sense for them to do it like that. The countdown is the celebration of the sucess of ipods not ibooks or powerbooks, people are just latching onto the idea that new laptops will be released when it hits the big number because its the next big mac thing...
I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think iBook/PB and macmini updates WILL happen, 1/100,000 odds. BUT it would be nice. A guy can dream. And like I said, most likely it will be just an iPod/iTunes thing. But I do think it will be more than just giving away some pods.
 

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
337
0
jmmdg6 said:
My guess is Sunday, July 17 at 6:15 PM.
You're going to be close. Looks like it's going to be 5:50-6:00. 5:31 now and it's at 956k.

EDIT: or it could be much faster. It just jumped 15k in 2 minutes. This last 28k is going apparently going to go very quickly.