What do you think is left for apple to put on the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 11, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Like any innovation left? or the iPhone 4 will forever be the last phone to be the most innovated ever?

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

3. snickerzz macrumors newbie

snickerzz

NFC? by then there will probably be some new tech, its just like any other iphone, whats next?

4. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

So many people seem incapable of realizing that phones have simply reached their maturity stage. New innovations can and will come about, but they will be more sporadic than before, and certainly not every year. Are we seeing incredible new television innovations every year? Or desktop PC innovations? Or course not.

You need look no further than the Galaxy S4 to confirm that smartphone innovation has reached a plateau. Apple and Samsung and many others will continue to slowly innovate as time goes on, but both companies have quickly run out of ideas. There's just simply only so much you can do before a product can only be improved so much. The wheel was only invented once, and has simply been refined over time.

With that being said, it seems likely that Apple will offer an iPhone next year with a larger screen, at least 4.5 inches. With that, we can probably also expect an increase in battery life. NFC is also a possibility, especially if it can be combined with the new Touch ID. As for anything else, it's anyone's guess.

The simple fact is that there's just not much more you can do. For now, the future seems to be in software, and not hardware. However, the fact that both Apple and Samsung (and others) have begun resorting to "gimmicks" leads me to believe that they're both out of new ideas, which is completely logical if you consider smartphones to be in the maturation stage, which they most certainly are.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The iPhone 6 should have some of the following if not all:

1. Larger screen size option. (This means keeping the current 4" but adding a larger screen size as an option. This way Apple users can select which device best fits their needs.)

2. Battery life should be x2 longer due to more space.

3. Front and rear facing camera should both be high resolution HD recording and higher MP.

4. IR.

5. NFC.

6. Smarter SIRI and more uses for the fingerprint sensor.

7. Faster processor.

I'd upgrade to that right away.

6. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Agreed

7. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

I think people have seen way too many iPhone (whichever) concept videos, and therefore have unrealistic expectations.
    Like this :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zhEuFwoVns

8. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

1. Probably will happen (of course not sure)
    2. Highly unlikely (improved for sure but twice as good, I don't think so. Keep in mind that, although the battery will get bigger if the phone size increases, the screen will obviously drain more power, the soc will be upgraded (2x fast CPU/GPU))
    3. For the front, I can see them going full HD almost certainly (around 2 mpx res.). The rear doesn't need more pixels if the sensor itself doesn't get larger.
    4. Probably not gonna happen
    5.Hard to tell. Is Apple giving NFC the "flash" treatment or they are simply waiting for it to mature a bit.
    6.Very likely to happen
    7. 99% will happen

9. Kurso macrumors 6502

My hardware wish list:

1) Higher resolution screen - I want them to push the envelope here not is terms of physical size but in terms of what they can get in the iPhone 5 form factor. Give me an edge to edge screen with 1280x720 and I'd be happy.

2) NFC - No point in debating it, people are using it all over the world. A year from now it's unlikely a serious Android phone will ship without it. And for those phones that don't they at least have an SD card slot they can add NFC with. We have neither...

3) Higher MP Camera - The iPhone 5s camera looks interesting with the larger pixel sensors but give me 12-15MP too.

4) Wireless charging - Plugging my phone in seems so 2000s. In fact I expect to see this on the iWatch (take watch off at night and place it on the nightstand).

5) More storage - 32GB should be the minimum with the top end at 128GB. 128GB seems large since it matches my laptop but I understand why people want it.

6) 802.11ac - My Apple router supports it, my next phone won't (iPhone 5s). Enough said...

7) Faster CPU/GPU - Every iteration will have this for a long time to come

8) Voice/Data- God please allow me to talk and use the Internet at the same time! I know this is Verizon's issue but I want it solves and Apple can do it with either another antenna or LTE-A (assuming VZW is ready)

9) Heartbeat sensor - I'd love that FP sensor to detect heartbeat as well.

10) Projector - I know, this is VERY niche and will NEVER make it into an iPhone (maybe the iPad some day) but I travel a lot and present all over the world. I don't want to carry a laptop and projector. This is my one hardware feature request I will never get but I had to put it out there.

My software list is at least three time as long

10. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Well, they've got investments and patents in bendable screens and batteries, Liquidmetal, camera tech, and countless more in software and hardware that isn't promulgated. So yeah I think they should be good.

Also, I'm really hoping for a battery-sipping IGZO display in the next generation.

11. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

Smaller, thinner, more storage, solar charging with longer battery life.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

a pico projector that can do 40"
    wifi a.c.
    run OSX Surfer Maverick (that's what I'm calling the next OSX after Maverick)
    4GB or more RAM to actually benefit from 64bit
    None of that will come to w iPhone6, maybe 7 or the 6S

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

With iBeacon, I have reason to believe that Apple will never adopt NFC.

14. Kurso macrumors 6502

Not to derail the thread but iBeacon and NFC serve two different purposes.