what do you think of Apple's acquisition of Particle?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by patent10021, Oct 17, 2012.

1. patent10021, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

Interesting purchase of a web app company. Don't know why it's not on MR.

I read somewhere that web apps would eventually be the norm.

Apparently web apps are integral to advertising. How are they different?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Surprised it was not news here as well but why would you think they'd move to web apps? Didn't they used to have that and it wasn't exactly a huge success, was it? One thing that came to mind but it could be outlandish, is a sort of YouTube-based site that allows people to upload their videos from their iPhones for a social networking-like sharing site. I mean, why wouldn't Apple try to move away from uploading for YouTube to uploading for Particle?

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Well from what I read apparently it's going to be the defacto for delivering content to the masses for a long time. Web apps it seems will greatly benefit user experience which I guess they think will be more important than platform independence down the road. Sacrifices to be made in both areas. Since iOS is the focus I guess that means platform independence wouldn't be an issue then? Who knows.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't you think Apple would want platform independence?

5. patent10021, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

That's what I mean but in reverse. iOS is closed so they already have that which means they can shift focus on UX. I really don't know. I'm just guessing. Maybe some tech writers can chime in or something. All I know is they are very selective so they must have some big expectations for Particle/web apps.