What do you think of fitness bands?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by B..., Apr 13, 2014.

1. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I've been researching fitness bands a lot in the past few weeks, and I've been focusing on the Jawbone UP and the Fitbit Flex.

I like them for their tracking capabilities, but also for their alarm settings with haptic feedback (wake me up, remind me throughout the day to get up and walk around, etc.)

My question is: do you think they're helpful to monitor fitness and lifestyle, or is it just a waste of $100?

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've had the Jawbone Up, which they discontinued for a while. I'd check reviews before buying. I currently use a Fitbit One. Seeing my stats during the day helps, but the biggest help is the community. Forums, challenges, etc.

3. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I personally don't see the value in them, I don't need to be reminded to take my "steps"

But its spread like crazy through my family, at least 10 in my family have a fitbit. I just personally don't see it, but they love it.

4. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

I don't see the value in them, but my wife had the cheapest fitbit for a long time and loved it. Unfortunately, she lost it one day. She was pretty disappointed and we ordered a replacement the same day since she liked it so much.

So like I said, I don't get it - but there's obviously something that makes them attractive.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Lost Fitbits are replaced by the company for FREE. Simply fill out an online form at their website. They've replaced my Fitbit One three times. There is something about seeing you only have to go another 500 steps to hit my goal or whatever. Not to mention, I'm competitive... So I have to be top of my friend list.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i have a fitbit force and absolutely love it. i was skeptical at first but it really motivates you to move to get more steps and be active. my girlfriend got one and she's lost 13 pounds this year so far. the vibrate to wake function is my favorite part, much better than an audible alarm.

7. quickmac macrumors 6502

I actually just picked up a Fitbit Flex today to pair with a 5s. I've never really been into these things but recent health issues have dictated that I get more active and make sure I'm moving around often. I've only had a few hours so can't give an in depth review. I do like the step tracker with the leds that light up showing how much progress you've made.v I was able to sync it easily with both my iPhone and my Windows PC and it syncs across the platforms and the internet nicely. I took a nap and tested the sleep tracker and also the built in vibrate alarm. Worked well enough. As for accuracy. The jury is out so far. It counted a 20 minute or so easy bike ride as around 2,100 "steps" which probably isn't close to accurate but at least it shows activity towards a daily goal of keeping my body moving. The actually walking movement and sleep detection seems relatively accurate. And the FitBit app/website allows you to bring in data from other health apps if you want to get deep into food intake and other metrics.

I doubt I'll get into all the food/water intake tracking or manually entering other exercises and things like that. I'm not the best at following up on those things. But seems decent enough for my needs. Hopefully I remember to switch it back and forth between active and sleep each day.

In researching the different bracelets, the Flex came out on top. The original Jawbone UP lacks wireless real time syncing and costs more, the new Jawbone UP24 is even more money. The other brands seemed too big and clunky (Nike, Polar).

Do I think it's worth 100 bucks? Hard to say. They make advanced pedometers that clip on (and lack sleep tracking) for a little more than half the price. So you're paying a premium for the always on you bracelet and sleep tracking. Did I need to get one to try it out to get moving more? Sure.

Overall I think they have potential to collect valuable data on physical activity , sleep patterns, and if you're so inclined to help track calorie intake and expenditure. And if you need a little motivation to get back on track, I think they can do that.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I've done everything to check the accuracy of my Fitbit One. I've counted steps and came within 1%. I've counted flights of steps, dead on. I've measured the distance traveled in miles... Again, within 1%. I can't really tell on the calories burned part.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I've been using the Nike+ app on my iPhone 5S for a few weeks now. Otherwise I had been using RunKeeper for the past few years along with the fitness app on my iPod Nano. In general, I just feel like it's another gadget that gets the manufacturers more money from us.

If you need to run/walk, make time in your day to do so. If you need to drink water, then drink water. We all have smartphones around here, there's enough sleep monitoring and water intake apps out there that do all this without spending the money and the inconvenience of remembering to put on/charge a band.

Not that I'm not tempted though, I think the Fitbit looks great. I just sleep very well every night, have learnt to not rely on alarms, and managed to lose 20 pounds without one. I don't think I could be motivated as I am now.