what do you think of India and Indians..

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aerove, Feb 24, 2008.

1. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

Hey all..
    shackleblot's thread created the curiosity in me to start this thread..

The general feeling abt india is that its takin away jobs frm rest of the world.. and ours is THE biggest corrupt nation in the world. To be frank i hate to cast a vote here cause it doesnt matter. and then there's this differentiation based on something called "cast" .
    Most people here are typecast and without any creativity , but it doesnt hold true for all!!

lets hear as to what u ppl hav to say!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I love their food.

I really want to visit the country. It's one of the top countries on my list.

They make the hallways of apartment buildings across Toronto stink because of the strong smell of their food.

Many of the girls are hot.

3. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

heh heh .. u r always welcome dude.. but if u do come u ll have to see GOA and KERALA.. these two are the most beautiful states in the country ! i'm frm hyderabad .. home to The dish called Hyderabadi Biryani ! but u'll have to be beware of the spices

4. Queso macrumors G4

For a long time my best friend was Indian, but the friendship has drifted somewhat since she found a boyfriend :cool:

India is obviously a very old and mixed culture thrown into one nation state. It does suffer a bit from corruption, but that's true for every country on the planet, especially any with such a large gap between the wealthy and poor. Indians are nearly always polite, and tend to be open to new ideas. I actually think they will be a great counterbalance to China over the next century.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Although I've never been to India (it's on my 'to visit' list) and despite the caste system, India is the home of yoga, some delicious food and the author to my favourite book of all time ('The God of Small Things').

6. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

thts really gr8 to hear! i'm gonna miss it :( movin to us in july...

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Really? Are there any other options?

Oh, and I used to post on another message board, and I used to be rather close to a guy who opened up a resort or something in Goa. It was the first time I had heard of the place, but apparently it's like living in the UK. He was Scottish, so it wasn't all that foreign. ;)

8. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

goin for my masters.. yea goa's got a huge population of people from europe and the states.. and lotsa partyin .. and the best time to go is for new years party .. remember! if u plan .. plan it such that u'r there on dec 31st.. me a gal from london there.. had fun :cool:

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'd like to visit India, everything I've heard about it sounds really nice.

But my opinion, I would just say they need much better family planning policies. If they don't do anything about their population I think I read they're going to surpass China in a few decades.

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My fiance's family has adopted 2 children from India, Suraj and Ragini, from an orphanage in Mumbai called Bal Vikas. They are the most beautiful children and have brought so much joy to a family that could not have natural children anymore.

We were all very intrigued by the process of adopting from there. First, the children must be rejected by many many matched couples who are Indian. Of course, this only makes sense, to keep the children in the country of their birth. Then they are allowed to be considered for international adoption. With the oldest, Ragini, who came home in January of 2007, the adoption was more of a desperate situation. She was getting ready to turn 7 on December 31, 2006, and once you turn 7 you are considered un-adoptable and live in a government home until you get married and move out. Since the family had the space, money and most importantly, love to go around, the adoption agency sped up the process so we could adopt her.

It is the best thing that has happened to us, getting those two children. Learning about the culture that they come from, learning enough of the language (Hindi) to be able to manage until english was improved upon, and learning to cook food that the kids would eat was all really neat. While I have never been to India, it has to be an amazing country to have given us such beautiful children to love. :)

11. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

What u've done is really GREAT ! cause normally orphans dont get the facilities and options any normal kid would have. I 'm sure those two kids are blessed to have parents like ya ! best of luck for your future!!:)

Hey wat ya say was right about 2 decades back!! most of urban indians dont have more than 2 kids.. i myself am my parents lone child .. but yea that problem is being tackled in the rural areas..

12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

As a member posted above, I cant say enough about the food. I am a spice nut and you really cant beat Indian food.

Oh yeah, and hot Indian chicks :)

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My dad loves Indian food, I would eat it but I don't do well with spicy dishes as a whole.

I have a bunch of good Indian friends, I love hanging out with them. Unfortunately school has taken some elsewhere.

However this is one thing I don't understand, one of my Indian friends who is a girl is always being chased by Indian men. No matter where we are Indian men follow her, try to hit on her etc. Now I am a white guy, and I just don't understand this. Granted she is very attractive but when I am at a club with other attractive white women they dont get a crowd of gawking men. Now when I am with her at a club she gets a crowd Indian stalkers, its just weird. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think I might have stumbled upon the answer! :p

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Talk about a broad question. This is second only to 'What do you think of animals and the animal kingdom?"

16. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

heh heh .. cause i guess most of em NEVER got the courage to talk to a american and maybe they take it for granted that indians abroad are easier to hit on !! its seriously hilarious !! :p

17. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

For those interested into a bit of indian culture.. there's a new indian movie which released a few weeks back named "Jodhaa Akbar " if u can do watch it .. the acting and the sets are quite good.

here's the imdb link...

18. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Makes sense to me, she has told me horror stories of riding on trains in India, and why she ALWAYS rides on the women only cars.

19. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

yep.. trains are a hunting ground for perverts.. :( unfortunately the security is also ********..

20. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

if u think thats crazy chk this out!! Indian version of thriller!! :eek::D the guy in the other video is a great dancer ..

21. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

22. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

On the contrary, India has proven to be one of the most successful democracies in the post-imperial world. Despite problems such as linguistic, religious, caste, and ideological conflicts, India has maintained a fairly democratic order. Considering the vast number of years it spent under colonization, and how crushingly poor it has been up until recently (it's still poor, but not as bad as 20 years ago), India is a modern political marvel. From a political science perspective, it breaks all the rules! :eek::)

Granted there's micro level corruption, but I think that considering the current educational levels of the nation as a whole, that can be forgiven. As conditions improve however, the rate of corruption should decrease in order for India to be considered a truly "egalitarian" society.
    What do I think of India? That's a very broad question. It almost requires one to make a value judgement, and those aren't very nice.

As someone of the aforementioned genealogy, but who was raised in a drastically different fashion, I find it hard to maintain impartiality. If you were to ask me what group I identify with the most, I'd be quick to respond "Californian" or "American" in an almost reflexive manner.

Nonetheless, your question had an economic tilt to it, implying how we felt about off shoring. In that regard, I can't blame Indians or India (they're just trying to advance their own economic situation); I blame penny-pinching corporations. Then again, those same corporations are required to make products cheaper, more reliable, and more competitive in the consumer market, so I can't entirely blame them for off shoring either.

But I digress. The point is, India, like any nation, has its wonders to share. However, as dynamicv points out, India is more progressive than China, and I think that that quality of India and its people will ultimately make India more successful.

24. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

heh heh.. now to the next topic movies!! wat do ya think abt them ??