What do you think of MBP 15" 371?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by montblanc1, Oct 21, 2010.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

Well, I've got my 15" MBP for 3 months. Its i5 processor is not that powerful and strong as expected. Everytime I opened my office file, it took about 10 sec on average to open, which I suppose is pretty slow! In addition, everytime when I use MPlayer or VLC to watch 720p movie, occasionaly I can see image "stuck", and not that smoothly as on Windows Operation System.

So I suppose all the problems contribute to the bad trash 320GB Hard Drive, I should have ordered an SSD one!!!

I don't use large software that often, so I can't see the advantage of the i5 processor, while the SATA HARD drive make 15" PRO bad performance! Can anyone recommend me a software that can drain MBP's processor sufficiently? Otherwise, i feel like wasting the money in that trash!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have the same MacBook Pro. To be honest, I'm pretty happy with it, but it's not perfect.

Two things came to mind while reading your post:

1) Microsoft Office takes forever to load on any Mac. I strongly suspect it's part of the software... just like yesterday when I printed a four-page document, and Microsoft Word turned it into 5 pages for me. ;)

2) I have noticed a few problems with automatic graphics switching. Namely, it doesn't always seem to switch. :eek: I've found that I get a much better playback experience when it is disabled in System Preferences > Energy Saver.

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

)1 Run a Permissions fix, 2) you might want to try reinstalling OS X. I have the same machine and it ran great even before I put in the SSD.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

1. Office: Mac 2008 IMO was rubbish in terms of performance (Office: Mac 2011 is greatly improved especially in opening files).

2. This is more for everyone who runs into this problem, STOP BLAMING THE HARDWARE! (Hardware could be faulty but chances are, you'd know when it does outside of playing multimedia) Even with a Pentium 4, I can manage to play HD content. The HDD that Apple provides probably isn't the best but it should still handle media with no problems. Like Eric said, the poor playback might be caused by the poor graphics switching. You might not like it but you'll but it looks like you'll have to play around with different software to get optimal playback.