What do you think of Roman Polanski's arrest?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8278256.stm

The case against film-director Roman Polanski, which resulted in his recent arrest in Switzerland, has been rumbling on for more than 30 years.

The incident which sparked the long battle took place in 1977, when Polanski had unlawful sex with 13-year-old Samantha Gailey at actor Jack Nicholson's Hollywood home.

The guy was a creep, reading about people who did similar he probably still is a creep. Yet a lot of effort has been made to get the charges dropped or claim prosecution misconduct (the so called documentary on HBO was considered a hit piece versus anyone after him). Reading his Wikipedia entry seems to indicate he still preys on young girls, hopefully legal age now.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I was just reading that article.

I don't know much about the man...apparently he had sex with a 13 year old (bad move dude), accepted his guilt, then did a runner to Europe, where he has since resided.

I'm at a loss...why is it so many people seem to be outraged at his arrest? :confused: He's a paedophile, isn't he?

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't understand it either. It's like people have a personal attachment to celebrities whom they are entertained by. An attack on said celebrity is therefore perceived as an attack on the fabric of their own being.

A similar effect can be witnessed with computers, mobile phones, and gaming consoles. What people personally chose and gain enjoyment from becomes a part of their identity that requires defending from any slight, no matter how insignificant or indefensible.

edit: I'm not particularly interested in reading these articles but there's a headline on smh.com.au that says the woman in question has repeatedly requested that the charges are dropped. I have no idea of the veracity of the claims though.

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

He broke the law. He's finally being brought to account for it. end of.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its cliche, but do the crime...

I think it is something that should happen, although I am not affected by it in the least.

6. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

One of the greatest directors of all time. Surviving the holocaust clearly messed him up, and the Manson murders, but there's still no excuse for what he did.

7. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

PMITA prison. For like a few months, then he'll be free to travel everywhere he wants.

Seems like he should have just done this 30 years ago, right? It would have been a much smaller deal then anyway. Now it's a 30 year flee from justice in addition to boinking a minor.

8. Queso macrumors G4

It's right he stands trial. There's obviously a case to answer to, however many great films he's made.

Anything further should wait until after a trial verdict is delivered.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just because he's a celebrity doesn't mean he shouldn't stand trial. Glad they finally caught the creep.

How did he get arrested anyways? For the past 30 years, he's carefully avoided countries that don't have extradition with the US. Surely he must've known that Switzerland would extradite and arrest him the second he set foot on their soil. The guy's been pretty careful for 3 decades.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Oh, the irony:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090928/ap_on_en_mo/eu_switzerland_polanski

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_castration

12. Pocket lint macrumors regular

Apparently not, as according to the article he owns a house there.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hmm...I wonder what made Switzerland finally decide to arrest the creep.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm glad he has been finally caught. I have avoided seeing films of his on account of this.

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

+1. Without excusing his actions in the past, by any means, even the girl - now woman - has said to drop it since every time it's blown open it throws her and her family into the spotlight and brings up the ordeal all over again.

Realistically, I can understand both viewpoints. It's a balance between punishing the perpetrator and giving the victim rest.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd like to see how much time and money they have spent on this case over the years.

Then we can whirl through the DA's office and club em like a bunch of baby seals with our whiffle bats.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Who are these "outraged" people again?

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Honestly, its about time, but I was under the impression that these things have a statute of limitations on them right? :confused::confused:

20. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Roman Polanski arrested

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26137917-15803,00.html

It's a damn shame to live in a world where the imperialist US government INSISTS on persecuting a brilliant artist for the minor indiscretion of drugging and raping a 13yr old. Oh, and then fleeing justice and living as a fugitive for almost 40 years. :rolleyes:

Not shedding any tears shed for this perv.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The statute of limitations is the time between the crime being commited and the indictment. He was indicted well before the statue of limitations expired. He pled guilty and fled the country while awaiting sentencing, the SOL is no longer in effect.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Don't get me wrong, Chinatown's good, but it's not "let a guy get away with raping a thirteen year old girl" good.

I mean, apparently somebody thinks it's "let a guy skate on it for thirty years" good, but that wasn't my call. What the hell took so long?

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If he is extradited now would he be tried based upon the law and sentencing guidelines from 1978--or those that are in place currently?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Oh alrighty then, that makes sense. Like I said, its about time.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

As I understand it, authorities in California got word that he would be traveling to Switzerland for a film festival, and issued an extradition arrest warrant.

About time, as far as I'm concerned.