What do you think of Roman Polanski's arrest?

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8278256.stm

The case against film-director Roman Polanski, which resulted in his recent arrest in Switzerland, has been rumbling on for more than 30 years.

The incident which sparked the long battle took place in 1977, when Polanski had unlawful sex with 13-year-old Samantha Gailey at actor Jack Nicholson's Hollywood home.

The guy was a creep, reading about people who did similar he probably still is a creep. Yet a lot of effort has been made to get the charges dropped or claim prosecution misconduct (the so called documentary on HBO was considered a hit piece versus anyone after him). Reading his Wikipedia entry seems to indicate he still preys on young girls, hopefully legal age now.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I was just reading that article.

I don't know much about the man...apparently he had sex with a 13 year old (bad move dude), accepted his guilt, then did a runner to Europe, where he has since resided.

I'm at a loss...why is it so many people seem to be outraged at his arrest? :confused: He's a paedophile, isn't he?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I'm at a loss...why is it so many people seem to be outraged at his arrest? :confused: He's a paedophile, isn't he?
I don't understand it either. It's like people have a personal attachment to celebrities whom they are entertained by. An attack on said celebrity is therefore perceived as an attack on the fabric of their own being.

A similar effect can be witnessed with computers, mobile phones, and gaming consoles. What people personally chose and gain enjoyment from becomes a part of their identity that requires defending from any slight, no matter how insignificant or indefensible.

edit: I'm not particularly interested in reading these articles but there's a headline on smh.com.au that says the woman in question has repeatedly requested that the charges are dropped. I have no idea of the veracity of the claims though.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
One of the greatest directors of all time. Surviving the holocaust clearly messed him up, and the Manson murders, but there's still no excuse for what he did.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
PMITA prison. For like a few months, then he'll be free to travel everywhere he wants.

Seems like he should have just done this 30 years ago, right? It would have been a much smaller deal then anyway. Now it's a 30 year flee from justice in addition to boinking a minor.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
It's right he stands trial. There's obviously a case to answer to, however many great films he's made.

Anything further should wait until after a trial verdict is delivered.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Just because he's a celebrity doesn't mean he shouldn't stand trial. Glad they finally caught the creep.

How did he get arrested anyways? For the past 30 years, he's carefully avoided countries that don't have extradition with the US. Surely he must've known that Switzerland would extradite and arrest him the second he set foot on their soil. The guy's been pretty careful for 3 decades.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Oh, the irony:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090928/ap_on_en_mo/eu_switzerland_polanski

ZURICH – The international tug-of-war over Roman Polanski escalated Monday as France and Poland urged Switzerland to free the 76-year-old director on bail and pressed U.S. officials all the way up to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on the case....Oscar-winning director Andrzej Wajda and other Polish filmmakers also appealed for the immediate release of Polanski...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_castration

Poland on Friday approved a law making chemical castration mandatory for pedophiles in some cases, sparking criticism from human rights groups.

Under the law, sponsored by Poland's center-right government, pedophiles convicted of raping children under the age of 15 years or a close relative would have to undergo chemical therapy on their release from prison.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
One of the greatest directors of all time. Surviving the holocaust clearly messed him up, and the Manson murders, but there's still no excuse for what he did.
+1. Without excusing his actions in the past, by any means, even the girl - now woman - has said to drop it since every time it's blown open it throws her and her family into the spotlight and brings up the ordeal all over again.

Realistically, I can understand both viewpoints. It's a balance between punishing the perpetrator and giving the victim rest.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I'd like to see how much time and money they have spent on this case over the years.

Then we can whirl through the DA's office and club em like a bunch of baby seals with our whiffle bats.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Honestly, its about time, but I was under the impression that these things have a statute of limitations on them right? :confused::confused:

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Honestly, its about time, but I was under the impression that these things have a statute of limitations on them right? :confused::confused:
The statute of limitations is the time between the crime being commited and the indictment. He was indicted well before the statue of limitations expired. He pled guilty and fled the country while awaiting sentencing, the SOL is no longer in effect.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Don't get me wrong, Chinatown's good, but it's not "let a guy get away with raping a thirteen year old girl" good.

I mean, apparently somebody thinks it's "let a guy skate on it for thirty years" good, but that wasn't my call. What the hell took so long?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If he is extradited now would he be tried based upon the law and sentencing guidelines from 1978--or those that are in place currently?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The statute of limitations is the time between the crime being commited and the indictment. He was indicted well before the statue of limitations expired. He pled guilty and fled the country while awaiting sentencing, the SOL is no longer in effect.
Oh alrighty then, that makes sense. Like I said, its about time.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Hmm...I wonder what made Switzerland finally decide to arrest the creep.
As I understand it, authorities in California got word that he would be traveling to Switzerland for a film festival, and issued an extradition arrest warrant.

About time, as far as I'm concerned.