What do you think of Siri?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bp1000, Nov 4, 2011.

1. bp1000, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

bp1000 macrumors 65816

I'm actually amazed

Being British with a slight dialect speech form and a low voice, voice recognition has always struggled to understand me.

Siri has barely put a foot wrong. It even matched people's names correctly even after interpreting it wrong, then got it right the next time. The company behind Siri and apples involvement has produced what I think is the start of something great.

How has Siri been for you?

2. Gordonw macrumors member

Its been pretty good. I like and enjoy it. Its not 100 percent perfect and has some weird quirks but its been great.

3. clandherr macrumors newbie

Siri is great if the network is not down. Over the last few days Siri is constantly having issues connecting to the network.

What is the point if it never works. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated.

4. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I like Siri... but... I'm getting tired of hearing "I'm sorry Wanda, I can't look for places in Canada" LOL

I HOPE Canadian support for Siri's location services will be up soon!

5. bp1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree, the only frustration for me are the lack of business listings in the uk too.

6. Will69 macrumors regular

I love Siri and it was bulletproof until yesterday when it was down for an hour. I friend said that later last night Siri was down and he would get an error message saying it was down.

For me, however, it said nothing of being down it would just think about my request forever and not continue.

This goes for dictation as well.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Siri's a great novelty. Very funny responses in an entertaing if not a bit annoying voice. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It will be interesting to follow the progress as Apple improves it. I wonder how long it will take.

8. wellok macrumors 6502

9. garbeth macrumors regular

Needs work but it's still an amazing implementation of voice recognition

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

Uptime is disappointing at times, but when it works, it's truly phenomenal - especially coupled with Bluetooth.

11. gadget123 macrumors 68000

So how does it actually work?

You ask it a question and it just has a big data place somewhere? :confused:

Do Apple survey what people ask Siri? Will it never work offline without wi-fi?

12. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

Siri is awesome! It's great all the things that you can do - especially texting, searching emails, reminders, timers and alarms, you can even ask when the sun will rise and set for the day, it really is awesome.

I can understand the frustration when it goes down or is slow - but I think it's the matter of adjustments - hopefully it will get more consistent and if it does - I think it's really going to rock.

13. Will69 macrumors regular

To be honest, I think its uptime has been very good if you consider this is the first widespread deployment of such time-sensitive internet interactions ever.

They were wise to call it a beta. It is.
    Apple did a solid job of rolling out a system with so many features and avoided getting too greedy with a bunch more "capability" that would have just brought down speed and/or reliability.

I am eager to see how this product will grow.

14. GravityEyes macrumors regular

GravityEyes

Its the genesis of revolutionary technology... 10 years from now artificial intelligence will be the primary mode of HCI.

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I spend a lot of time in the car and for texting and emailing (both sending and receiving) it has been invaluable. It works perfectly through my Mercedes bluetooth system...also, aside from the actual "Siri" feature, the ability to do speech to text from any keyboard is terrific...

16. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Do not really use it except when driving with hands free bluetooth however there are sometimes I find it does not understand me but it is ok for hands free use and basic stuff like searches, but not a big fan of it personally.

17. mcdj, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I like the idea. The execution is ok. It feels more like a proof of concept, and I'm having difficulty finding actual uses for it beyond occasionally showing it off, and that will get old sooner than later.

Ultimately, it's a cute small step into the future. In 5 years it will seem quaint.

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Honestly I don't care much for it. Not as much as I did for the first couple days. I just turned Siri off after that.

19. chrisvee macrumors regular

I like her. Especially for a beta, it's not bad. Of course, we need some location-based lovin' up here in Canada please!

And, it'll definitely be interesting to see what Apple has up their sleeves on this one!

20. LWP777 Suspended

I'm pretty disappointed. Between all the network outages and her only understanding what I'm saying about 70% of the time, she's almost unusable. Also, I was really looking forward to the text to speech ability on text messages but when I'm in my car and connected to bluetooth I have about a 25% success rate.

The other thing that is pretty annoying is sometimes after using Siri the phone's volume will be on full blast and then go back to normal after a minute or so. Weird.

21. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

It's cool when it works. I don't understand why it has to be connected to the network (which it rarely is lately) to call someone that's under my contacts.

22. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Because when you say "call blah-blah-blah", Siri has to connect to the almighty datacenter in order to understand that "call" means "launch Phone app and dial blah-blah-blah's phone number" under the hood.

None of the Siri speech recognition database is stored on the phone. If it was, you'd need at least 1TB of space.

23. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Although I don't have it, I think Siri is kind of cool... I've seen a couple of YouTube videos of people using Siri and I wish that it would've been included with iOS 5 for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS... oh well. :rolleyes:

24. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

So far I've found Siri very good, but there are some words that it still does not understand. For instance typing this reply would be "hard", so I am saying it into Siri and it is typing it for me :)

Seriously, I normally don't use Siri for typing emails or texts, but I do use it extensively for other features and so far i find it really good. It will be great when we do have location services available in Australia and the UK.

For a beta program is not bad at all and basically it came free with the phone so why complain. In this whole reply I have had to edit eight words in total not too bad

25. Will69 macrumors regular

Yes but i still think it should have a gigabyte or two of database and process a request of "call Johnny" both internally and to the server. Internal would win, and be much faster than waiting for the server.

I only have 5 GB of music and apps So I have plenty of space for a significant database of speech recognition. Considering that probably 90% of my voice requests fall into no more than maybe 200 different words, it should be no problem handling that with internal memory.

But all in all I think it's a fantastic beta release. There hasn't been a day since I got this phone that I don't use Siri at least 20 times.