What do you think of the 2.8GHZ 24" 256MB iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lordsion, Apr 21, 2009.

1. lordsion macrumors member

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB325X/A?mco=Mjk1NDMwMA

I read on the net that it isn't very fast and is horrible in games.

24-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x Superdrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera

Please provide answers.

2. Shivetya macrumors 65816

For a hundred more I would get the current entry level 24

Else wait for an 8800 to enter refurb... not sure of Aussie availability

3. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

I have it and really like it. I just bought it as a refurb from Apple a few weeks ago. It came new instead of refurbished. I chose it over the newer entry level 24" because most people on here recommended buying it instead. I have no regrets so far. I immediately upgraded the RAM to 4GB. I would upgrade the hard drive, but I have no need for the extra space.

I run Windows 7 in VMWare so I can use Visual Studio and a few other misc. programs only available on Windows. I'm happy so far with the results. I have an HD camcorder but haven't had time to author and burn any of my recordings on this machine yet. That will be the test.

4. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I just got my 24" 2.8Ghz iMac, and I can't say enough good things about it. My first Mac in a while, and I am impressed with its performance. I was using a Quad Core 2.66, 8GB Ram, Nvidea 8800GT w/Vista 64 bit as my main PC, but decided to make the switch since these refurbs came up at such good prices. I haven't noticed any drops in performance going from the Quad Core 2.66 to the Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz - and this iMac actually feels faster (mostly to do with OS X vs Vista I would imagine).

Unless you really need a better performing GPU, I think the ATI 2600 does a pretty good job. I don't game on my computers for the most part - but I bought my kids a Wall-E game that happened to run both on the Mac and Windows. I had the game set to full resolution and it seemed to be very smooth and play very nicely.

There is a review around here that benchmarked the new 2009 iMacs and had the 2008 2.8 Ghz w/ ATI 2600 in there as a comparison. The 2.8Ghz w/ ATI 2600 blew away the 2009 iMacs with the Nvidea 9400m by a wide margin.

If I was looking to spend more and get a 2009, the only way to get a better performing iMac is to step up to the 2.93Ghz with the GT120 for $1799, which for me was just not worth it.

I disagree with what Lordsion had read about it being slow. It is actually one of the faster consumer 'Desktops' that Apple makes. Here is the benchmark review from Geekbench (they haven't updated it with the scores for the 2009 iMacs yet): http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2009/01/mac-performance-january-2009/#consumer_desktop

In my opinion the 2.8Ghz refurb you are looking at is one of the best deals going in Macs right now...