What do you think of the new Dell XPS one 27?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stef n, Jun 17, 2012.

1. stef n macrumors newbie

Hey, been looking Dells AIC which is supposed to rival the 2012 iMAC

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

LOL, not even in the same league if for no other reason because it runs MS Windows.

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Ditto.

4. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

Slightly better gpu, cpu specs for less money. I'm not sure about the quality of the monitor though.

I wouldn't listen to people that hate on Windows without any specific criticisms, they probably haven't used Windows for a decade. I like OSX better, but I'm not sure it's 100s of dollars better.

5. jmhart macrumors regular

The main reason Windows will get hated on in this thread is that this is yet another thread posted in "Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac" asking about a machine that has ZERO to do with Apple no less the iMac.

OP needs to troll elsewhere.

6. leman macrumors 604

Compared to the similar priced iMac, the Dell has significantly faster CPU and much weaker GPU. The screen quality would be more or less the same (same panel, by the looks of it). If you want to play games, the iMac is much better value.

7. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

How do you figure? Only the top of the line upgrade iMac With AMD 6970 1GBx2 out performs the Dell. That will cost you around 2400, vs 1700 for the dell.

Do you really think it's the exact same screen? I saw one on dislpay, and the black levels(on the dell) didn't look as impressive as on the iMac. But it might have just been the settings.

8. Lekaks macrumors newbie

I use both a Windows machine and a Mac. They both get the job done, neither are perfect and yes I prefer the Mac. The thing that makes my butt itch is when people blindly shoot at Apple because of the alleged higher cost.

Yes, on its face the Mac has a 5% to 10% premium over a similar PC, but after you buy all the accessories that "Dell Recommends" or get baited into all the 90 day software trials and protection plans they push, you're just about even with the Mac or worse off.

A complex and emotional cost structure is a common, deceptive and effective mechanism for profit. All those Stanford MBA's sitting in Texas air conditioning got to to do something right? Just go to both Apple's and Dell's web sites and build a system. See for example on the Dell site the option to: Plant a tree desktop offset $4.00. Really? You're going to plant a tree to offset the environmental disaster that sits on my desk? Why not offer to have Micheal Dell run his fleet of Porsches on veggie oil for 6 bucks? Or unplug one of his 37 hot tubs $2.00?

I prefer the up front pricing policy of Apple.

Carry on...

9. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I would never buy a pc all-in-one computer. I buys the imac because its one sexy piece of hardware and the way everything just fit and works together. PC is bound to be ugly anyway, so might as well then just have a big box under the table were I can easily add/remove hardware...

10. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I use it daily at work, it still sucks.

11. stef n thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not trolling, I simply wanted to know what people thought about the new Dell that is about to be released.

I'm aware I posted about a windows product on an apple forum and I did mention that this AIC is supposed to rival the new iMac. Again, just wanted to see what people thought!

12. jmhart macrumors regular

I hear what you're saying, but the truth is you can't really compare the two since the Dell can't run OS X natively but the iMac can. Now you just have to decide what that's worth to you. If you're not that worried about OS X, then why even consider the iMac? IMO there's no reason to pay a premium for Apple's desktop machines unless you want or need OS X.

13. leman macrumors 604

The Dell is $1999 or am I mistaken? The $1999 iMac has slower CPU but faster 6970M. Dell has been using the same panel in their other 1440p monitors, so I don't think it will change.

14. odnarbssagib macrumors member

Dell

Overall, it's a better computer at a cheaper price. But it comes down to which OS you prefer.

----------

If you search the web for benchmarks, you'll see that the new Dell beats the iMac.

15. jmhart, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

jmhart macrumors regular

Judging the Dell vs iMac strickly on the merits of hardware

Dell Disadvantages

It appears to be limited to the S series I5 & I7, the lower power, lower clocked (and slightly cooler running) versions where the iMac has no trouble using the full desktop versions which feature higher clocks. Granted, the iMac is still limited to 2nd gen I series processors hence the clockspeed and benchmark disadvantages--but once (or I guess if) the iMac gets its 2012 refresh soon and moves to 3rd gen Ivy Bridge, you'll see the clockspeed advantage back with the iMac which should sway the benchmarks advantage back to the iMac.

It only has 2 DIMM slots so if you go with 8GB (which will come as 2x4GB DIMMS) and later want to upgrade to 16GB, you have to toss the original memory. The iMac has 4 slots, so you would be able to add to the original memory one time without having to toss the original DIMMs.

The $1999 top end model tops out with an NVidia 640M, a less powerful GPU than even the new MBP retina comes with. This doesn't make any sense at all since the 650M has been available for awhile now, unless it's a thermal issue like the processor.

I don't like that it comes with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that uses a USB transceiver dongle instead of bluetooth if you select or build a model that has bluetooth built in. You're just wasting one of the 4 available USB ports for the keyboard/mouse dongle. Also you have to pay another $50 to get a trackpad, and it ALSO uses a USB dongle--there goes another USB port and you've only got 2 left before having to break it out with a USB hub. Not to mention the keyboard/mouse combo that come with it look plasticky and cheap.

It has no Thunderbolt capability whatsoever.

The Dell looks like it's plastic sandwiched between the glass front and aluminum back. Maybe this is why they are stuck using the lower end GPU and S versions of the CPUs, they're having trouble with the thermals in this design?

Dell Advantages

It has a Blu-Ray combo drive.
    It has a built in HDTV tuner.
    It looks nice (yet still no height adjustment, just like the iMac).

16. leman macrumors 604

I was only talking about graphics performance. The 640M can't beat the 6970M. In CPU benchmarks, yes, Dell will be much faster.