Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Hey guys. Just wanna get some feedback on the new nano. I personally hate it. I've been a nano user since the day it came out and love it. I mean, I love the black nano but I'm not gonna pay for an 8GB nano just to get a black one. And now you cant even get white? Meh. Also these resemble the mini too much and I also hated the mini. Anyone agree, disagree?

Chrome backs all the way! :p

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'm sorry to hear you don't like it, but Apple changed pretty much all the things that people hated about the first generation nano, namely the scratching and lack of colors, so the new ones are sure to be very popular. It is pretty lame that the colors aren't featured on every capacity and I think Apple's going to be at a loss because of that move (I'm not buying the 8GB because I don't want black). And losing the trademark white color is kind of upsetting to me too...

Daniel.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I really like the new Nanos. Much tougher, bigger capacity, better battery life, the whole shebang. Although, I do kinda miss having a regular ipod, and then something that looked exactly the same, but miniaturized.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I love my first gen Nano. The new ones are nice and all but what I really liked about the Nano was that it looked almost EXACTLY like the regular iPod. The Mini was nice but after seeing the new Nano, it just feels like a dated design. I guess I'm one of the few who isn't a big fan of the new ones :rolleyes:

abeyk

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Houston, TX
How can you not like it:confused: more capacity, better screen, more battery life, more color options, aluminium... I like it so much i'm selling my 5G ipod for a new nano :D

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
i can certainly appreciate the longer battery life, larger capacity and brighter screen, but appearance wise, i much prefer the first generation nanos. they are much classier looking imo. these new nanos look like the minis which i thought were ugly. i hope this isn't a sign of things to come. the tangerine and blue imacs and ibooks were horrible.

for the new nanos, i would have kept the same body, added the new internal improvements and introduced some new colors for those who want them, but less bubble gummy colors. colors that you would buy your car in for example. and make them available at every capacity.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The 2g Nanos are a little underwhelming imo. The competition is cheaper right now and I've seen Sandisk 6gig go for $180. Design wise, its okay, I'm neutral. Battery life is great, but the transfer speeds have been observed to be nearly twice as slow. I just wish the size of the memory was a lot more. 8 is bleh imo. 12 gigs would have forced me to open up my wallet so I have to wait for the 3rd gen nanos (if they are still called that).

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
The black one is very stylish, if they had it in the 2 GB or even the 4 GB configuration i would definately get one, but the 250 dollar price tag makes me wonder if i should just make the investment on a regular iPod

Sobering

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Deepdale said:
I may be in the minority on this one, but I despise the chrome backing.
Oh man I loved the chrome backing. I think I'm one of the few people in my area who has had an iPod nano for nearly a year and still has next to no scratches on it without using a case. Don't ask how. :p

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
They are what they are. Deal with it.

I'm waiting for the new ones to be released here in Korea, then I'll buy one. Probably this week, maybe next. (Apple Korea is slow on the uptake)

I loved my green mini iPod, so I'd love a green Nano. I find my 4 GB white Nano a bit unsized at times, so I want a 8 GB. (not a big black fan) I'll have to choose... Probably go green...

Either way, the longer battery life will be very welcome.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I think my biggest problem with the new Nano is the price. I really like the looks of the black one but for that price you can get a 30 gig video iPod. The last generation, it was a $50 upgrade to get a regular iPod but this time around, its the same price. I know, the Nano is much smaller, flash memory so better for jogging, exercising and such, but still, I cannot justify spending $249 to get a black 8 gig Nano when I can get a 30 gig video iPod for the same price.

The battery life has never been a problem for me. I'm on campus for maybe 6 hours tops in one day, thats plenty of battery life. I plug my Nano in as soon as I get home and its plugged into my car whenever I'm on the road. I really see no situation where I would need 24 hours of battery life.

Brighter screen, again, no problem with the old Nano's screen. Not a good reason to upgrade for me.

Right now, the ONLY thing that really makes me want a new Nano is the box. :D (Not really)

Oh well, enough of my b****ing, thats just why I'm not running out to sell my old Nano to upgrade to a new one.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I really like the new Nano because I loved the old Mini and hated the old Nano. Confused? :p

Well a vast improvement in my eyes, anyway. Better specs, better design and more robust. Having said that, I'm not rushing out to buy one because I really don't need another iPod...

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I definitely prefer the new one to the previous. For me, I bought it because I don't want to use my video iPod when biking, skiing, etc but I wanted to hold a little more music than my Shuffle. So for me construction of the new one is better.

But I liked the Mini's a lot too. :)

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I saw one yesterday

I saw some silver 2GB and 4GB nanos yesterday. They look much, much nicer than the original nanos. Tougher, more sleek, double the capicity, gapless playback, better battery life. There is nothing about the new nano that is worse than the original, just a difference of opinions about cosmetics.

Does anyone else notice that any time a product is updated, there are always a minority of people that bitch about the new one? Life must be very frustrating for people who just can't accept progress and change. Oh well, to each his/her own.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I love the new nano. I like the aluminum, because it's way more robust and gives the nano a kinda delicate touch.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
The shuffle has caught my attention more so than the nano. The nano doesn't interest me anymore. Plus I feel they have complicated it by dividing the colours up between the different capacities that Apple offer.

The shuffle I personally feel follows Apples philosophy more closely. "Its the music stupid".

The Nano does music well but it does all the other things a normal ipod does (except video of course) but poorly, I had a nano and stopped using the photo features after a while, the screen was too small for me to be bothered.

I'm going to be far happier with the shuffle when it comes out.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I went to the Michigan Ave. store in Chicago yesterday, and I saw the new nanos...they're definitely better than the 1G. They feel stronger and look better. If I didn't have my heart set on a 80 GB iPod, I'd get one.

JeffGilly

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
I have the original 4Gb black nano and love that look (no scratches because I keep it in a case). I didn't like the new look until I saw it in person at a local BB. I have to admit, they look better in person but still like the original look better. The colors seem to be much more vivid in person than in pics. The specs on the new nanos are better of course as well as the realitively scratch free casing, but the new look isn't as appealing in my opinion. But if I didn't already have the original nano, I would probably buy the new one mainly because of the specs.

And Sobering, I too like the crome backs on the original nanos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.