What do you think of the new YouTube?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ARF900, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

What do you think of the new youtube design beta? If you havent used it yet go for it its really nice. Just look under "whats new" in the bottom right of the youtube home page. I really like it, it has a lot of promise. Thoughts?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Flash is officially going to be neutered in the most horrible way. HTML5 uses waaaaaaaaaay less resources on my Al MacBook than Flash... thanks for that, I am now permanently going to use HTML5 of YouTube... Flash can kiss it.

3. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

The problem is that videos with ads on them cant be watched in HTML 5, which is a majority of the videos on YouTube.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sure that, like the inability to do full-screen was (since it is now offered on at least some browsers), is temporary.... The latter was more a deal killer to me. But OTOH on my netbook, the Flash actually performs better than the HTML5.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd like to try it but it requires that you log in with your account, does this mean you're stuck with the HTML 5 version on your account? Just I use Firefox under XP and Safari under OSX.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Anybody getting a conflict with Perian? When I have it installed the mp4s play choppy. When I uninstall it they work fine.

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

No - you can opt in and opt out of the beta as you wish.

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

(slight threadjack)

That's another thing that bugs me about the "new" YouTube: the video ads that automatically play before the actual video even starts.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

(/slight threadjack)

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I f I remember correctly, they are still losing money on Youtube given how much data they store and serve. They have to do something. Wish it was more like ads on the side though.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If I understand the question, it's easier than that -- if you're "in" the beta, it automatically loads the flash player in an incompatible browser (I just tried Youtube at work with IE8 and no Google Chrome framework, and it works fine, as Flash).

11. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

No, if you back to that same place where you turn HTML5 on, you can turn it off and go strictly back to flash.