What do you think the future of the ipad should be?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedon1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I was reading an article on engadget where they had a tip about the next ipad and they said there will be increased screen resolution, better processor etc.

I want to get an ipad 2 when it comes out, i don't have the current one.

For me i want the device to integrate a lot more home automation and links with other devices. Right now, i can bring up the sky tv guide, hit record and it sends the signal to my sky box. This is really useful if in another room or while someone else is watching TV.

Imagine being able to control the lights in your cinema room, checking if your washing machine has finished it's spin cycle, turning the oven off when something is cooked.

What do you guys think the future of the ipad should be?

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

There is a more fundamental side to your question which is at the root of the device.

Do you want a Tablet to be just a temporary extension of your computer, so you load things from your computer onto it, do a little work on the tablet then come back, dock it and transfer the data back to your computer.

As the iPad it now.

Or do you think a Tablet should be like a laptop in that it's a totally independent device in it's own right and never need to be docked with anything, as it's not just an extension of something more powerful, but it's own being.

This is a fundamental issue irrespective of the screen, speakers, etc etc.

3. thedon1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great point. I suppose i want it to be an alternative to a laptop/ second pc in the house. It would never replace my primary computer. I think not needing to dock would be great, but a step towards that would be wireless syncing/docking with a mac. It's definitely possible, but we'll see if apple incorporate the feature.

I think the portability is what needs to be taken advantage of. There are things that could be done on an ipad that would not be advantageous on a desktop computer. I suppose you could argue that a laptop is also portable but the ipad would be preferred when around the house.