What do you think the next iPhone will be called?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cp1275, Apr 9, 2012.

1. cp1275 macrumors newbie

• "iPhone 5"?
    • "iPhone 6"?
    • "The new iPhone" / "iPhone"
    • "iPhone 4G"?
    • "iPhone 4GS"?
    • "iPhone LTE"?
    • "iPhone Steve"?
    • "iPhone HD"?

Lets discuss. :D:)

2. iP4S-Zak macrumors newbie

IPhone 5 seems more traditional. However Apple being Apple would add a twist to it and possibly call it iPhone 4G due to having 4G or even iPhone HD, if not, then iPhone 5.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

The new iPhone. I think with the new iPad, Apple have showed they tend to make the iOS names the same as their Macs. They don't have an iMac 7 afterall.

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Wow, this is the first time this subject has ever been brought up! OP you are truely a pioneer!

5. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

6. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Just 'iPhone'. They couldn't call it the iPhone 5, it's not that. I don't think they'll put LTE/4G in the name, because there's not always LTE/4G networks available worldwide (just seen that here in Australia). I think they will realise that it's getting to that stage where numbers are irrelevant and annoying for Apple.

I can definitely see them following suit with the iPad 3. However, as I just did, it will probably be colloquially known as the iPhone 5.

7. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Outstanding work my friend, outstanding!:D

8. big samm macrumors 65816

I really don't care what they will call it, I just need LTE and a bigger screen!

9. 808? macrumors 6502a

10. Benson11 macrumors regular

Benson11

Apple always surprises us so i think the next iphone will be called " The new iphone" because this name seems to me very exciting.

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah but they don't sell old Macs alongside new ones either. It's like the iPod nano line - they didn't have to name them iPod Nano 3 or iPod Nano 4 because they only sold one version at a time.

I wonder what will happen next year with iPad...I wonder if Apple wants the official name for the 3rd generation iPad to be "The Old iPad".

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

13. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

If they call it iPhone 5, then their naming scheme doesn't make much sense.

iPhone (the first, nothing more)
    iPhone 3G (had 3G, makes sense)
    iPhone 3GS (had 3G and was faster)
    iPhone 4 (the fourth iPhone)
    iPhone 4S (faster than the fourth gen)

My money is on: iPhone. Like what they did with the iPad. If they want to name it something else they will have to name it either iPhone 6 or iPhone 4G (if it has 4G), in my opinion.

14. gpat macrumors 6502a

Apple iPhone Nexus Optimus Wildfire Skyrocket 4G.

(from this site, minus the "Apple iPhone")

15. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

Why in the world would they call it 'New iPhone'?

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

new iPad, then logically new iPhone. And new is not an adjective. It's part of the name. It's lower case like iPhone, iPad, iMac etc. It's the name....

;)

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not really. What it does and looks like are important to me. But as there are 100's of threads on that lets not go there.
    What about the jPhone?

18. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................iPhone!

19. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    In order of likelihood

• "The new iPhone" / "iPhone" - makes the most sense given the iPad... but would it work for smartphones?
    • "iPhone 5"? - The most likely possibility if Apple does decide to keep names
    • "iPhone LTE"? - Also likely. But it kinda sounds weird to say, so I put it below iPhone 5

Nothing under this line would EVER be the name, but still in descending order of likilihood...
    • "iPhone 6"? - I understand the rationale, but all the "normal" people will be too confused. Apple wouldn't do that
    • "iPhone 4G"? - Apple already changed the 4s to show 4G capabilities for at&t so they wouldn't do that
    • "iPhone 4GS"? - same as above, plus it would be weird for Apple to insert a letter in there like that
    • "iPhone HD"? - Why?... it will have no more HD of a screen...
    • "iPhone Steve"? - haha

20. mac-collector, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

Nope. It's officially called iPad the 'new' is just to distinguish it from the 1st gen. You can check Apple's website: http://support.apple.com/specs/#ipad

And how would that work anyway? When next gen's iPad comes out, you will have the new iPad and iPad x and the new iPad is actually the old one?

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal