What do you want to see from the next administration ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Other than some people who will answer "Trump replaced", what do you hope to see in the next administration.

I'm hoping that Trump talks to and works with everyone in congress and he governs the country more like a business.

2. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Obamacare repealed and replaced with either nothing or with single payer.

3. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

To be humble and fair to all the people equally.

That's already too much to ask, right?

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think they need to get Tort reform before anything will work in the long run.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    It should not be too much to ask.

5. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their selfish purposes. Distinctions in society will always exist under every just government. Equality of talents, of education, or of wealth can not be produced by human institutions. In the full enjoyment of the gifts of Heaven and the fruits of superior industry, economy, and virtue, every man is equally entitled to protection by law; but when the laws undertake to add to these natural and just advantages artificial distinctions, to grant titles, gratuities, and exclusive privileges, to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society-the farmers, mechanics, and laborers-who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their Government. There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing.

6. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

What would the tort reform look like?

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

President-Elect Trump's ideas on tort reform would be, let's say, self-servingly ambivalent at best and beyond the pale if given free rein.

8. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

-- a total ban on immigration.
    -- a gradual withdraw from NATO.
    -- a 20% cut in the Pentagon budget.
    -- rapid expansion of greenhouse-free nuclear power.

None of which will happen.

10. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Loser pays all fees.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

This is my biggest issue. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen. At least not anytime soon.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

1. Those 9/11 pages released.
    2. Cut ties with Saudi Arabi and depending on #1 maybe do more than that.
    3. Close all the ridiculous tax loopholes so Warren Buffet pays more in taxes than his secretary.
    4. Stop spending trillions of the military to build planes that can't fly.
    5. Fund NASA properly and start building a moon base, new space station and get our asses to Mars.
    6. Switch to the metric system.
    7. Spring ahead and stay there.

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

1. Hillary doing the perp walk
    2. Illegals rounded up and shown the door
    3. The Wall
    4. Fair trade
    5. Countries we're protecting paying their fair share
    6. Reduced taxes
    7. Reduced regulations
    8. Obamacare replaced with something that works
    9. Ceasing immigration from Muslim countries until we've got the security angle figured out

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Here's the tree you lost:

[​IMG]

15. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

1. Absolutly agree.
    5. We already have moon bases and went to Mars in the 60s. Yeah I thought it was crazy too, but after 10 years of reading and researching I'm pretty sure it's true. And that's where a lot of our debt comes from, if you follow the money.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't get it.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Yes, we all traveled the solar system in the 60s thanks to Dr. Hofmann.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Do you even read the stuff you cite? If this doesn't suggest Trump being ambivalent on the subject, as I suggested that he'd be, then what would it take to make that point?

I really don't think Trump is going to do anything to promote tort reform. Like you said he really likes suing people and he made it clear he wants to open up more law suits to sue the media. It would be hard for him to appoint a judge that is for tort reform but also for libel law suits. I'm sure he will get pressure to appoint a judge that's super conservative but in the end he's going to do whatever he wants.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Is there really any way a Republican House and Senate would pass single payer?

I can't imagine that is a path they would choose to go down.

20. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

Ask two, wise, old men, specifically Thomas Sowell and Walter E. Williams, to chair and appoint an advisory committee. This committee's purpose will be to advise on how to improve the lives of those stuck in the cycle of dependency, particularly in the African-American community. Both men are inspirational and bright, and have walked the walk. I trust that whatever advice they would come up with, in terms of taxpayer and private monies to implement plans, would not be wasteful (in the long-term there will be savings), and, the advice would accentuate individual, personal responsibility as the vehicle to pursue possibility.

It's clear that what we are now doing as a country is failing those who are born into undesirable circumstances. We're wasting people's minds and lives, while promoting separation and conflict. It's time to change the strategy, both to benefit individuals, and secondarily, the country.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Better bring the jobs or people are going to be pissed. Get everyone who wants one a job that pays for a decent place to live and he should do alright

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Small segments of the population have been stuck in dependency for hundreds of years, and no solution has been found yet that would change that. I don't think that ultimately there is a solution, at least in the foreseeable future. Society has some pretty stringent rules to follow in order to be a productive part of it, and some people—for a variety of reasons—are unable to keep to those standards.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If he doesn't try to take away people's civil rights and focuses on creating jobs and rebuilding the infrastructure, he could be okay.

Infrastructure should be the number one priority. Should have been for the past 20 years already.

24. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

All countries that are single payer or have comprehensive insurance coverage have Tort reform to limit cost. Without Tort reform, there is no system for health insurance that will work long term keeping cost under control.

I'm not sure what Trump would consider but it should be similar to the Tort reform implemented elsewhere.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Like many things likely to be passed under a Trump Administration, it will be frustrating to think of the years of obstruction and outright sabotage the conservative congress inflicted on Obama. If they suddenly flip-flop and start throwing money at infrastructure and jobs I won't be applauding their efforts. I will instead see it as a purely partisan ploy.