What does 3D Touch do that couldn't be accomplished by regular touches of varying lengths?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanasimov, Sep 17, 2015.

1. ryanasimov macrumors regular

Unless I'm missing something really obvious, it just kind of seems like it's technology for technology's sake.

2. bugelrex macrumors regular

for gaming, you could press harder for faster/power. Elsewhere, long press and longer press could navigate the UI menus the same

3. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

It actually magically made the battery smaller to make room for it so there's that o_O

4. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

First of all, 3D Touch is much faster than a long press. Personally, I don't want to hold buttons forever to force a reaction/function.

5. bugelrex macrumors regular

In all the demos I've seen, the user is pressing harder but doesn't appear instant. 'Looks' like a long press. Will have to try it out to see if its instant

6. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

jailbreakers will answer this question

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

3D touch can do two different things (peek and pop for instance) based solely on pressure no additional length of press to deal with. Depending on all of the different ways developers implement it I think it has the potential to become a really great improvement on what we have had in the past.

8. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

How can the piano in garage band tell if you press the keys harder?

9. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

3D Touch is cool. No annoying long presses. Similar to convenience of Touch ID.

There is also haptic feedback that I hope is like the MacBook. If it is it will feel like a physical button.

The press is instant given you press enough. The videos are just showing you the before and aafter slowly so you can see what is happening. Hands on folks say you don't have to press hard and quickly get the hang of it

10. HEK, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Think of it this way, say you are sleeping, if I touch your eye lid gently for varying lengths of time I get one reaction. If I press harder I get more of a reaction and most likely a "peek". And if I press really hard you most likely will "pop" me in my eye.

It's like that with the phone. :)

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I've had at least a half dozen major eye surgeries. Go ahead - pop my eye all you want. I won't care. :D

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

ROFL!

Peek and Pop at it's finest!

13. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

So you are pretty much numb to it all then. ;)

14. dba415 macrumors 6502

90% of the uses Apple showed for force touch could be done just as well with long presses.

15. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Says the person who has never used it....

16. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Been seeing a lot of people throw 3D Touch to the side as a gimmick or another version of long press so why bother doing it type of thing. Let's hold off on the judgment and actually use it? See what developers do with it in their own apps that we'll be downloading?

As someone who sometimes spends a few weeks at a time on an Android device I know how long press is used in that operating system. I see 3D touch as being faster because it's not based on time but instead on pressure. Also, I've never felt long press was natural interaction with the software. I don't know how to explain it but it always feels a little weird to just hold your finger their while nothing happens and then suddenly a menu pops up. Lollipop made this better with the animation you see while long pressing a button but its still not enough for me though.

3D touch on the other hand I think will feel better. You're applying a little pressure as to say I wanna go deeper into this app or whatever it is I'm looking at. Also the taptic engine will probably add a nice effect to the interaction.

I don't think we should be trying to look at 3D Touch as some major breakthrough or innovation. That's way too high of an expectation. Its more of a small detail in my opinion. A small detail that in practice will just feel more natural and better to use while navigating your phone. Did it take a lot of work on Apple's part to implement? I'm sure it did, but we shouldn't be looking at it as an attempt to make some huge new feature. I'm looking at it as them putting a whole lot of work into one of the small but really good details that'll make the experience better.

I'm sure the embargo for reviews will lift in the middle of next week and we'll read plenty of opinions but I'm looking forward to getting my 6s on the 25th and giving it a try to see if my thoughts and expectations match up with how it actually feels to use the feature.

17. cycledance Suspended

18. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

It uses the accelerometer to detect the impact on the device. That works well for taps, but won't detect longer pressures.

19. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Also, kind of annoying: So many people complaining with the Apple should have just done long press, it would do the same thing (Note: i.e. long pressing the phone app would put into wiggle mode, not present you with quick access to important contacts).

If Apple would have done long press this thread would instead be titled "Did Apple copy Android".

Instead, Apple see's the functionality that long press provides, but also see's what in my opinion was a great opportunity to do it different and better so what do we do? Complain that they chose to go a different route and didn't just copy Android.

They can't win lol.

20. sterl320 macrumors 6502

It honestly can do the same things long presses can do, but that's just it. They are "long" presses, controlled by lengths of time. 3D touches responds at your control, at your will.

Take a peak for instance.
    if it was a 2 second duration before the touch becomes a peak, you would have to wait 2 seconds every single time. Also, if it was a 3 second duration before that peak becomes a pop, then your peak could only ever last 3 seconds at a time. Lastly, if you just wanted to do a pop, you would have to wait 5 seconds (2 for the peak, then 3 more for the pop) every single time.

3D Touch takes the time aspect out of it. You can do a peak exactly when you want it, you can make it last as long as you want, or you can go directly into a pop if you want as well.

21. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Same sorta stuff was spouted at the introduction of multi touch. Never will replace buttons. People will not adopt onscreen over physical keys. I still think all the swipes, taps, double taps, short and long touches, peek and pop pressure are leading to elimination of the home button. More and more commands, menus are accessed directly rather then going back to home screen. Less bezel, larger screen in smaller phone, these are a coming.

And as far as; "they can't win", Apple is winning all the way to the bank of Ireland. So no need to worry. :)

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

just wait till developers take advantage of it with their apps...

23. divergirl macrumors regular

Two years ago this headline could just as easily have said "What does Touch ID do that couldn't be accomplished by typing in a passcode?" And now, two years later, many of us can't imagine living without it.

It's not always about functionality, sometimes it's about convenience. And maybe you can input a passcode almost as fast, but Touch ID is still slightly faster and more convenient.

I view 3D Touch in much the same way, as something that is slightly faster and more convenient than the current paradigm, and I'm sure that in a year from now many of us won't be able to imagine living without it.

24. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I wonder if safari will utilize it to replace the long press on links? That would be huge.

25. WilliamG macrumors G3