What Does AT&T Consider a "New" Customer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ckiggins314, Aug 2, 2012.

1. ckiggins314 macrumors member

I switched from AT&T to Verizon back in December and have seriously regretted that decision. Their 4G network quality has decreased since I signed on and I have pretty much had enough.

With the new iPhone coming out this fall, I was wondering what AT&T considers a "new" customer. Would I be eligible for a subsidized iPhone since I have not been a customer since December? Or do you have to not have an account with them for a longer period of time?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

after 6 months from your previous iphone purchase, you are eligible for the subsidized upgrade. Either log into your account on att.com or apple.com and it will tell you your upgrade availability.

3. Geckotek, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I think it requires being away for a minimum of 90 days. But it's been a while since I've researched it.

Edit: Matt's reply seems to ignore the fact that you are no longer an AT&T customer.

Everything I've read says 90 days, but still haven't found a reliable source.

4. 617aircav Suspended

I don't see why not. Some current AT&T customers will qualify for an upgrade. If you quit att you were likely out of contract, or paid an etf. Either way you fulfilled your contract obligation to AT&T. I had my AT&T contract on suspension from march 2010 to march 2012. When I reactivated it my contract had run out. I was able to get a subsidized phone.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I understand, "a new customer" means, when you cancel service and months later return to sign up with them again. Your account number will not be the same as when you left. However though, I know they can reestablish you back into your prior account depending on how long you left. But even if they did that, you're still a new customer.