what does data roaming mean? outside of toronto? or outside of canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedommer, Jul 28, 2008.

1. thedommer macrumors regular

Just so I don't screw myself over can anyone clarify this for me?
    Does Roaming just mean if I go to the states or am I paying long distance fees when I go up to my cottage and use internet?

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

If data roaming is turned off, which it IS by default, then you simply won't be able to access the internet through 3G or Edge when in an area that would be considered roaming. I have yet to find an area in Canada where I couldn't use at least Edge, and I NEVER turn on data roaming, but as soon as I cross the US border, I can only use Wifi for internet.

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Traditionally, roaming means data usage outside of your country. I recently got stung by that on EDGE, when in France for a few days. On 3G, it'll be extortionate.

4. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

sweet. I hope so because I used it at the cottage this past weekend :)

one other thing Im curious about is rogers "100 long distance minutes". I have this on my voice plan. I was wondering what that means. is that incoming only? or is it outgoing only from my local area? if Im at the cottage and call BC will it still be used? or if Im at the cottage and call home will it be used? or does none of this matter as long as im in canada?

thanks for the responses!

5. jerryh macrumors newbie

I turn OFF the Data Roaming when I am traveling in case. I don't know what all my apps are doing. I do not want to get burned.