What does it mean to be a Man?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Jan 19, 2010.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm the father of two boys and this week my youngest turns one year old. So, I've been doing a lot of thinking about my responsibility in raising them and the goal of preparing them to become adults. Our world is constantly bombarding us with various and often differing messages about what it means to be a "man". Are there certain characteristics? Is there a "rite of passage"? I thought I would pose the question here because we have a variety or different perspectives represented and I'm interested to hear what others think.

What is or does it mean to be a Man?

* While not overly political, I'm putting this in PRSI because the question and subsequent answers will have a lot to do with one's social, religious, or philosophical world views.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Putting aside your wants and needs for that of your family. Being the kind of role model that you want your children to emulate. Not being a douchebag.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

A man in my definition is:

1. Responsible
    2. Courageous (that means many things, including admitting one's faults as well as defending oneself)
    3. Humble as well as proud
    4. Helps others when they need it, regardless of whether or not those in need share the same belief system or ethnic background.

That's just what comes to mind immediately.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think being a man means being confident--without being arrogant. It also means being somewhat resilient emotionally. I'm not so old school as saying men shouldn't ever cry--there are certainly upsetting situations where its appropriate. However, I've noticed that in popular culture men cry like babies over every little bump in the road these days.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Examples? I'm not seeing that.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

No man has ever risen to the real stature of spiritual manhood until he has found that it is finer to serve somebody else than it is to serve himself. ~ Woodrow T. Wilson

Whether through kids or causes, becoming a man means serving someone or something greater than yourself.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You haven't been watching glenn beck.

Self-reliance is what I would add to the list.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, we haven't :p

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nor will I ever. Glenn Beck is the opposite of what I consider a man to be.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That sounds like a good definition to me.

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

OMG, Glenn Beck is a Mormon? I always think of Mormons as basically nice people. I guess that teaches me not to generalize.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I actually did not know this, he must be a convert because he was a self-admitted alcoholic.

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Oh, you're correct. Wiki says he joined in 1999. That explains it.

14. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

Trustworthy
    Loyal
    Helpful
    Friendly
    Courteous
    Kind
    Obedient
    Cheerful
    Thrifty
    Brave
    Clean
    Reverent

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He's probably to Mormons what Fred Phelps is to Christians, a crazed loon that does not represent the religion.

Don't get it confused with moron, which he most definitely does represent.

16. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

True this. True this all.

"'Duty' is the most sublime word in our language" -- Robert E. Lee.

"... and will endeavor, so far as in my powers lie, to be unselfish in service to the welfare of others."...

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

If it helps, just think of Gladys Knight whenever you hear his name. Now you can get back to thinking of them as nice folk.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Any reality show that includes some type of challenge that needs to be met you will often find men crying if they can't meet the challenge, or if they do they will cry out of happiness. Ty Pennington cries repreatedly on his show "Extreme Makeover" as do the men whose homes are being remodeled. You'll see firefighters, police, and random men cry on the news. You'll see men cry on TV talk shows. Politicians caught with prostitutes or mistresses cry at press conferences, etc etc.

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Is that type of crying unmanly? Showing happiness? I thought you meant whining and complaining men which seems more unmanly to me.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You watch entirely too much TV.

And Ty Pennington crying is just fine. That show does a lot of good for people. Those events are not "little things". That show changes entire families' lives. Anyone who cries on that show is crying for the right reasons.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If a man just lost his wife or child in a tragic event and is on the news--I can understand the poor man crying. However, crying at press conferences can be somewhat disingenuous IMO. It seems to me to be a method politicians use to convey a sense of sincerity about how sorry they are--but it comes off differently for me.

Also, I roll my eyes everytime Ty Pennington cries-- its so obviously acting. Men crying on reality TV is also acting most of the time.

I think for years men have been forced by our culture to repress their feelings and not talk about things when they should--and I'm glad that is turning around. This is different.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

They're crying for ratings. Everyone on the show knows they need to elevate the drama factor for the audience.

For the record, I cancelled my cable subscription long ago so I don't watch that much TV anymore. However, one can't help but see these things.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...OK. Say what you will. But if someone came in and gave me a new house for free, and that house addressed special needs for my family that I could not afford to provide, I'd be bawling my eyes out.

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That's the problem. Yes, you would be crying. But, if you were doing this on a regular basis, eventually you would become (for lack of a better work) routine. Clearly there may be specific events that may hit you harder than others, but based on the description provided (I don't watch the show), guy is crying on a regular basis throughout each show.

At least, that's what I am getting from those posts.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't know. I used to watch that show all the time, and I'd be crying by the end. If I did it for a living, I don't know if it could ever become routine. I really don't.