What does "majority of pre-orders will ship 9/21" for us October 5 babies?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brammy, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Brammy macrumors 65816

This quote from the PR release confuses me: Demand for iPhone 5 exceeds the initial supply and while the majority of pre-orders will be delivered to customers on September 21, many are scheduled to be delivered in October.

I ordered 0530 EST Friday. I have an October 5 delivery.

I can't tell if this means, "if you preordered Friday, we're working on getting you your iPhone Friday," or if it means "You're out of luck."

For me, "the majority" means, people that ordered on Friday should get the phone this week," but the "many will be delivered in October kinda contradicts that.

Any one have any guesses?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I took as Apple saying that they're doing their best to get as many out as possible, but to guarantee the 9/21 and NOT delivery, would really piss people off, so it's better to expect the worse and be pleasantly surprised than the inverse of that.

3. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

Hey, if they beat the 10/5 date its a bonus, otherwise I would expect it somewhere between the last few days of Sept. to early Oct. I did a Verizon pre-order and mine says on or before 9-26. I'm hoping its before, but I am prepared for on 9/26. Got the Otterbox Defender case with it so I don't have to pay extra shipping to Otterbox.

4. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

There will be a lot of people who will go out this friday and pick their phone up from Apple store, BB, WM and the like and cancel their online order. I would say the chance of the date of delivery moving up is very good. The way it works is that Verizon, ATT, BB, WM etc all pre-ordered launch inventory from Apple (i.e. how many Iphone 5 in what configuration). And ATT etc will decide how to divide units between online ordering and store front walk in. Apple store also operate in the same way i.e. a portion of their initial day inventory will go to online pre-order and the rest will go to retail store. It is not exactly an efficient systems but that is the best we got today.

If you look at Ipad 3 launch experience. After the launch morning, there is no line anywhere to be find. Customer can walk in and get the configuration they need. If the particular configuration is out of stock, they can come back the next day to pick it up as Apple drop new shipment everyday to their store. And a lot of late delivery online order got move up as the earlier one get cancel.. Ipad 3 was a pretty smooth launch and I hope Iphone 5 will be the same..

5. njn007 macrumors regular

njn007

Lets cross our fingers and be hopeful for earlier shipments!

6. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

This is a recycled story that AppleInsider initially posted on Saturday. While this has happened to a few people, it doesn't appear to be a widespread thing. There are a couple of threads on this forum already with people with October delivery dates and so far there hasn't been anyone announcing that they've received such an email. Does that mean they aren't bumping up any dates? Of course not. But right now it doesn't look like they're doing it on a large scale. I have an October date, so I'm certainly hoping to be one of the lucky ones that gets bumped.

7. Paul S macrumors regular

I also ordered Friday morning and I'm interested to see what happens to the status after this Friday (21st). The site originally said 9/28 delivery, but it has changed to 10/5 now.

8. Brammy thread starter macrumors 65816

I have my doubts on the veracity of that article. Everything points back to the one AI article. This forum is a small sample size, but we seem to track the same percentages for preorders (I bet the % of us who are October babies is the same % of the entire preorder population). So far, not one of us has gotten a similar email.

9. meganator macrumors member

I got that email. But I also got my initial order in at 12:12 and just couldn't finish it due to carrier server issues but they reserved me a phone. Everyone else with the email seems to have the same story.

Have any of you oct 5 people checked to see if your order is on the ups website? That would probably be the best indicator of getting it on launch day. Search by reference number and use your phone number as the ref number.

10. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

Yep I checked this about an hour ago and nothing is coming up yet. I orderd at 5:25 am EST on Friday.

11. Brammy thread starter macrumors 65816

12. iMule macrumors 6502

Is it not a pain to cancel the order which is connected to a phone number? I've wondered about this. I'm off Friday (due to my 12 hour schedule) and I could wait in line, but I don't want to screw something up and be ineligible.

13. Brammy thread starter macrumors 65816

I've had the exact same question. I don't know if I can go get the phone at an Apple store Friday, pay what I would pay Apple, and then cancel the Apple.com order. I have a feeling, I'll be paying $749 Friday if I try that route.

14. Boldizar macrumors newbie

I am thinking the same thing. Going to an AT&T store on Friday morning. Worst case I have the one on order for Oct 3rd. It's killing me though having to wait. I've never missed the preorder before. I was told while I'm at AT&T and IF I get a phone I would have to call AT&T customer service and cancel it because I wouldn't get it for the upgrade price if the other phone is on order.

Kinda a pain but worth a shot.

15. Brammy thread starter macrumors 65816

The variable is how long it takes to clear the cancel, especially on Friday with a ton of people thinking of doing the exact same thing.

16. Skull21 macrumors regular

I'm probably going to do the same thing but cancel on Thursday so I could get the discount on Friday hopefully :rolleyes:

17. Brammy thread starter macrumors 65816

I've been giving that a lot of thought, too, but I'm afraid of my pre-order slipping even further. My big worry is this is going to be one of those releases where you just can't get a phone for weeks.

Talk about a first world problem.

18. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

heh heh, yes indeed a first world problem for Apple and the Iphone user a like. Given that Apple launch 9 countries instead of 7 in the first weekend and over 100 countries before end of the year, i would imagine Tim Cook has done his job in lining up the supplier and so far there is no production hiccup news coming out anywhere (Sharp is the last hold out and it seems they started to ship the screen to Apple already). I would guess that it is not going to be a problem.. But it is easier for me to say since I am waiting for Straightalk to support Iphone 5, so I will be waiting for a while anyway..

19. rsnc macrumors regular

i was worried that this phone would be hard to get in the upcoming weeks as well...im thinking the line (that i will have to stand in..since my preorder date slipped between the time i got my confirmation email and the next morning)will be ridiculous this year

i went to a radioshack and preordered one in case i cant get one at apple..hopefully one of those methods will come through for me.

...yes, first world problems

20. Brammy thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm leaning towards canceling the preorder Thursday night if I don't see the shipping change budge. Worse case, there's an Apple and AT&T store near work.

21. Boldizar macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm not canceling until I have the iPhone I want in my hand. Im not taking the chance on it and then waiting an additional 3 weeks. I'll stay at the store with iPhone in hand until the cancellation goes through. :)