What does Obama Need to Improve on in the Coming Years?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Nov 30, 2009.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Let's face it "lefty libs". Obama's not the Messiah of the Hill we predicted he would be. ;)

What do you hope Obama changes position on in the coming years(s)?

I hope we fulfill our promises to actually leave Iraq.

Afghanistan improves and we leave as soon as possible. Another Vietnam is not what we need.

Equal rights for all (see: homosexuals in the military and marriage)

These secret other Guantanamo like prisons we keep hearing about. That needs to stop.

What am I missing?

Unlike alot of people on the right, "lefty libs" are more than willing to criticize and evaluate our leaders and we should gather all of these complaints into one thread so that we can refer to it later.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

1) Get out of Iraq
    2) Get out of Afghanistan
    3) Address rising college costs and not with more general grant programs.
    4) Go back in time and force congress to put out a health bill that will actually help us instead of forcing everyone to get private insurance putting the major burden on 20-30 year olds. I don't mind doing my part, but I am not going to be the only one mopping up the floor for the older generations lack of foresight/accountability measures.
    5) Promote job growth in key sectors such as technology, energy, and stop trying to prop up a dead manufacturing industry.
    6) No more bailouts, no more stimulus bills (nuff said).
    7) Put a tighter leash on congress.

3. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Stop spending money we don't have :)

(both parties could take notes here...)

Phase out all government ties/funding to GM/Chrysler.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He needs to be more direct with his approach to having his agenda pushed forward. He's far too trusting that congress can get the solutions worked out but I guess he's learned (hopefully) that he is just going to get opposition to just about everything.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Interesting. I read this thread, but decided to think on it before posting. Then I wandered over to Slate and read this article "Obama's Brilliant First Year" by Jacob Weisberg.

It's an interesting article even if you don't necessarily agree with all of Weisberg's points.

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Stop spending money.

Get rid of Holder.

Get rid of Geitner

Get economic advisers who actually worked in private industry.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sort out what's left of OFA and step up your communications game. The air is thick with FUD and the base is discouraged.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...what about the banks? Or were you OK with that? Interesting how you didn't mention them.

Obama needs to end DADT and DOMA as soon as possible. Those both need to be done immediately.

9. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree with everything except #3.

I would also add:

8) End DADT
    9) Create a national service organization to help preserve our natural treasures
    10) Close Guantanamo
    11) Push congress to put out an energy bill that is realistic, fair, and effective
    12) Limit subsidies for agribusiness
    13) Provide a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants
    14) End the death penalty nationwide

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ I agree with all 14, except maybe 11 - we may have different ideas about the meaning of "realistic, fair, and effective". Also what does 9 mean?

Help I'm becoming a conservative and agreeing with Zombie :eek: :p.

11. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Have you went to college lately? The price of every school at least around my area in Ohio is rising 6%+ a year. Kids are going to school and coming out in debt 50 - 100 thousand dollars in debt to only have degrees that are hard to get jobs with and on top of their student loans they are starting their life and have car payments, house payments and everything else.

The price of College is ridiculous and it keeps going up each year only so the universities can make more money and it needs to be put to an end.

I am lucky to only have one year left and have been fortunate enough to work and pay off my school without taking any student loans.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Bank bailouts were not popular to either party, and I would even go so far as to say they were less popular in Republican pools. The first time the bill was brought to the house it failed, mainly due to people blowing the hook off of representative's phones.

13. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

However- I found it quite interesting that he didn't mention the banks. It says something about his priorities.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The downfall of our university system will be from exorbitant costs only allowing a privileged class to attend, or worse yet, allowing many to attend and allowing them to live in impossible debt the rest of their lives. An uneducated populace in a first world country is an unproductive one in today's global economy.

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Politicians in general have no balls. Except Clinton. But we all know the consequences to that. Mandatory castration was implemented shortly after for all up and coming presidential nominees.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't agree with the writer either. He seems to turn the health reform bill into a point being scored for a political game instead of what it should have been with the promise of changing it for the better later on (probably is not going to happen).

He asserts that we would have went into a depression if the stimulus bill wouldn't have passed, except we didn't really spend much of it at all in the beginning and the economy didn't get catastrophically worse. Jobs saved/created is far from an exact science and even when you give them the benefit of the doubt the money spent per job saved is pretty atrocious.

The government deciding where money should be allocated in the economy is like playing roulette with your life savings.

18. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Of course, "realistic, fair, and effective" is pretty vague. I don't really care what his energy plan is as long as it fits that description. I want it to be able to be implemented, not punish any one particular area of society, and be effective at lowering GHG emissions and reducing our dependency on fossil fuels.

As for #9, I would love to see a CCC type national service organization that puts volunteer youth to work in our national parks, monuments, and forests giving them essential life experience and ownership of some of the things that make this country so wonderful. The organization could maintain our national parks, build and maintain trails, construct environmental projects, restore environmental regions that have been destroyed or severely damaged, help in disaster relief, and make a difference in our country. At the same time these youth could earn college scholarships for their service (as Ugg stated in another thread).

I think instead of having the president do something about the costs of college, we should put our efforts into educating our highschool students to make better choices about what to do with their lives. So little education is conducted in high school about the costs of college and the benefits of choosing a particular school over another. If we educate students about their choices they will be better able to decide whether or not $50K-$100K in debt is worth it. So many students enter college based on what sports team they like, where their friends are going, male-to-female ratio, climate, where their parents went, and other factors that, while important, have minimal impact on the financial situation of the student.

I would like to see guidance counselors sit down with each student and make a plan for college graduation. Show them the cost differences between different colleges including local community colleges and how those differences will impact debt repayment and financial burdens. Explain to them how starting at an inexpensive community college and transferring to a larger school can help with both costs and scholarship opportunities. Talk about working while in college, college loans, grants, and scholarships. Talk about what degrees are good for finding jobs and which ones are hard to get a job with. Pair that with the debt they rack up and let them see what type of financial situation they will most likely be in when the graduate. Give these students the information they need to make sound decisions and if they choose to go $100K or more into debt to get their degree, than more power to them. Maybe this could even be a semester long class for all college-prep students.

College doesn't have to be expensive. It is actually quite affordable to get a degree especially when you look at the return on investment. On the other hand, it can be very expensive if a student makes the decision to go that route. In addition. if more students were educated about the true costs of college, they would make better decisions about where to attend and you would see schools that are more expensive start to be more efficient so they could compete with cheaper schools.

19. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

No, nothing to read into with regard to the banks--notice how many of them are working to pay off the money asap, and several already have. In theory, GM is starting down that road, too. More importantly, though, look at how Chrysler in particular got to write off debt, and how the secured creditors were blown off in favor of buying off the unions. Getting rid of that sort of thing is my primary interest/concern.

(Ultimately, the combination of screwing the investors/giving Chrysler away to Fiat/the UAW is something Obama will regret--if/when Chrysler doesn't pull through again, he can't afford to bail them out again (not that he should have the first time, but that's for another thread).

With regard to DADT, good luck waiting--it's all fine and well to talk about it, but I wouldn't bet on him doing the right thing. If he was willing to stick his neck out for it, it could have easily been done months ago. (I think it's the right thing to do, by the way...). DOMA won't happen until he sees a clear majority of support behind him--same basic issue here.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, Clinton does prove the model that gays in the military is not the issue to start your presidency with. I see this issue as something that Obama can deal with after Health Care, Afghanistan, and the economy. If there's some successes here, he'll have political capital to spend on DADT and DOMA. Both issues need to be addressed, but I don't think they should have been the first-order of business.

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Most of what I think, people have already said, but for me:

1. Clarify to the nation our goals on both military fronts. The years have not much changed my position that Afghanistan was the "right" war, but whatever the original motives, we're eight years into a conflict that, in the interim, languished and went largely ignored, like political background noise. Years of war take their toll on a nation no matter what the justification. People want to know how we know we're done and when they can dial down the anxiety about their loved ones in the military. I admittedly have not yet listened to Obama's announcement of this morning.

2. Obama is being seduced by the autocratic institutions set up by his predecessor, sadly as I feared months ago. Power seized is never ceded. Everybody thinks he's the special one who will use autocratic power for only good purposes, but especially in a democratic society, accountability is exactly the feedback necessary to know if your purposes are good ones. This was why his promises of transparency were so compelling, and why it is so disappointing to see them undermined. Case in point: under no imaginable circumstance are the terms of a copyright treaty essential to national security, but this is the justification being used to negotiate a draconian law out of public scrutiny.

3. The President is still far too deeply invested in the corporatist model of America, the one that says the government's primary role is to foster an environment that guarantees companies can make money. This theory is completely ass-backwards. If you know anything about free market capitalism, you know that enabling companies to make money is the only thing it's meant to do, and the beauty of it is that it does so organically without central control. The reason we need a government is that we have needs that are not monetary. At risk of a glittering generality, "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are not properly quantifiable in dollars. Quite the contrary, an unchecked free market will blindly obliterate these things for most people as fiscal inefficiencies. If government is doing its job, companies will complain that it eats into their bottom line. Get comfortable with it. Don't strangle them, but don't mistake a higher GDP for a better society.

4. As a followup, traditionally "knowing where the bodies are buried" only has the benefit of reducing one's jail term, not of being rewarded with an unchecked position of power to keep that location secret and bury some more of them there. I am not especially interested in being a citizen of the United States of Goldman Sachs. We have an admitted problem that the giant banks are holding a gun at the head of the economy and saying, "keep the party going or we pull the trigger," but the damage their model of business does to the nation is ongoing. We need a tougher hostage negotiator, but Obama shows signs of Stockholm Syndrome.

5. It goes without saying, the man needs to stop talking about gay rights and actually do things. I'm sensing some behind-the-scenes maneuvering here, where votes from gay people are being weighed against votes from homophobes for purposes of reelection. He's pussyfooting around in the same way that got us DADT to begin with, and the "encourage Congress" strategy is clearly just meant to deflect the blame for doing the right thing off himself.

6. Single. F***ing. Payer. Obama and others have said if we were starting from scratch it would be the only thing that makes sense. The only thing that makes it not make sense now is that insurance companies are huge campaign contributors on both sides of the aisle. Yes, there will be some temporary job flux as doctors have to lay off a battalion of paper-pushers they no longer need, but it isn't as if the money formerly used to pay those people vanishes into the air. As doctors are able to spend more time being doctors and less time and money trying to get paid for being doctors, the cost of doctors' time will necessarily come down, lowering costs for health care in general and freeing up money that can be used to hire those same paper-pushers in other industries. We are wasting our money and we need to stop it, not force everyone to participate in it.

22. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Perhaps. But it looks like we'll be in Afghanistan for a while yet. The broken record re: the economy is "give him more time, it's not his fault"--if that's true, then it would seem that we're a while off from claiming success there, too--by which time he'll probably get to deal with massive inflation to keep up with the spending. So not really seeing a window for gaining political capital there, either. The same 40%+ of the country that didn't vote for him is the major group against Obamacare--so I don't see why you'd expect this to make a difference, either. If he's looking to make things better, he could do it tomorrow--if he wants to play politics like all the rest, then sit back and relax--it's not coming anytime soon.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There's an enormous amount of public support for ending DADT.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/120764/conservatives-shift-favor-openly-gay-service-members.aspx

24. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

25. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You make a lot of good points, however I think you are way oversimplifying the costs to attend. For example, and yes this is just my personal experience, but I went to what would definitely be considered an inexpensive public university in my state. I lived at home all but 3 semesters, and had scholarships that covered the entire cost of the first two years of school (tuition and fees, that is), and yet I am still almost 30k in debt from it... I DID look at cost comparisons, I DID choose a field I was confident I could get employed in, and yet here I am shelling out over $300 in student loan payments every month. My point is that while what you stated above would be a great thing for students in this country, costs are still entirely out of hand.

Other than that, I like the list that you and ZA put together.

Um, so yeah, what ^^he^^ said. :cool: