What does this mean? "Don't upgrade if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G" Spirit JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tboy2000, Jul 30, 2010.

1. tboy2000 macrumors newbie

I want to JB my sister's 3G and I understand I need Spirit to do it based on this:
    http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

It also says "Do not upgrade if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. (You can, however, restore to 3.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for that version.)"

What does that mean exactly? Does it mean if you use Slide to Unlock? Does it mean if you use a password/PIN after slide to unlock? Does it mean if phone is unlocked?

Also if she does use the passcode lock on here phone is it ok if she disables it before the JB and can she activate it again after?

I just feel the words "if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G" are a bit vague. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Her phone is not currently JB.

Thnak you!

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It means a software carrier unlock like ultrasn0w. Upgrading your firmware before you are sure a new unlock is available if you rely on such an unlock to make your phone work on your non-official carrier can render your phone useless. That information is a bit out of date, however, as the 3G can now be jailbroken and unlocked at 4.0.1; it is still true for the 3GS, which cannot yet be jailbroken on iOS 4.0.1 yet.

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Unlocked in this context means the phone is not locked to ATT as the cellular carrier.

4. tboy2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I've JB quite a few 3G phones and still don't use Spirit. I just use Pwnage or Redsn0w. Go to iclarified.com for all the tutorials.