What does this quote by Adolf Hitler mean?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cudo, Nov 1, 2009.

1. cudo macrumors regular

Hi, Im not a fan or supporter of Adolf Hitler and came cross this quote of his..and although I do understand words composing this sentence I guess I do not understand the meaning of it..can you help me by explaining is simpler way or by giving examples:

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth..

C

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I think he was referring to him winning the war(victor) and only his kind will survive therefore no one is left to challenge(truth) him. I think he looked at himself as being the supreme being and therefore he is the truth and his supreme race won't challenge him how he did it because he won.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

History is written by the victors. It's not exactly a new concept.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

"Historians will call me a liar, but history is written by those who've hanged heroes." - First few minutes of the film Braveheart

5. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

cudo: That quote, attributed to the German Chancellor, the leader of the Nazi party, 1889-1945, is in reference to the relatively low degree and/or standard those that support politicians pay toward veritas or truth following elections. Not to intentionally Godwin this thread but interestingly, we see a similar situation now in this nation. Those that foolishly voted for Barack Obama in November 2008 are now not asking (or questioning) whether he told the truth on the campaign trail. In terms of the sheer number of campaign promises he made that he is now ignoring, or claims he made during the campaign that lacked truth; the "victor will never be asked if he told the truth," but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be asked! A strong free press should guarantee that a political leader be held accountable for the truth and not trespass on it.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

BTW, be careful whom you quote. Glenn Beck is listening.... :D

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'm going to assume you're fairly young or have a short memory.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Goodness! From a question regarding a Hitler quote to Obama bashing in five posts.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And ironically, both Mel Gibson and Hitler have a lot in common with respect to their thoughts on Jews.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Put it this way. World's History is written by the greater power. In other words, if you control the world, you control it's history.

You can write whatever you want, and no one will question because its you who controls the world.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That is much less true these days than it used to be.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That may be, but its effects are splattered all over World History.

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I would assume it would be something along the lines of "People care more of a victory, than how it was a victory"

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Whoever wins always compiles the history of the event.

It took the book "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" to illuminate the atrocities committed against Native Americans during the 1800s.

There are any number of other examples where the truth doesn't come out until long after the event is over.

15. Scippy macrumors regular

If they ever come out.
    Sometimes the truth is forgotten, and the victors version is the only one that lives on.

16. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

You are truly scary. You have such a fervor in answering the first part of the question that it leads me to wonder just where your allegiance lies. Do you blame Obama when your toast is inaccurately heated?

17. No1451 macrumors 6502

A complete opposite of Godwin's Law....I'm not really sure what to make of that:p

@OP: Like they've said, it's about how the winning party typically writes the histories

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No, I think you're incorrect in your reading. Instead, I think Skunk has it right: history is written by the victor, and thus truth becomes a means to an end.

Your point about Obama seems oddly misplaced considering that most politicians, especially presidential candidates, are hard pressed to garner even a small number of their promises. For instance, George W. Bush argued against 'nation building' and military entanglements in 2000, but by 2003 the US was engaged in two major conflicts, plus a dozen more small entanglements throughout the world in response to terrorism.
    Previous presidents have had similar troubles including Woodrow Wilson who also argued against intervention in World War I, but later sent American troops to the front.
    If we took the time, we would probably see that it's rare for a campaign promise to be fulfilled during a President's tenure.

You can't Godwin a thread that started with a quote by Adolf Hitler...

However, there's a distinction between a campaign promise and the truth. A campaign promise is akin to saying "tomorrow I will rake the yard," while the truth is "I raked the yard." Obviously, promises should be made in earnest and should be fulfilled, but you wouldn't call someone a liar because they didn't rake the yard once they realized that someone else borrowed the rake and wouldn't give it back.

19. awmazz macrumors 65816

Here's the quote in context:

It's in direct reference to the Gleiwitz incident which was the staged attack by German soldiers posing as Poles on 31 August 1939 as the excuse to invade Poland.

Not quite 'history is written by the winner'. More like 'once you win, it doesn't matter if you lied about starting it'.

20. Queso macrumors G4

You forget to mention some of his other claims to fame.

Funnily enough, I'm not in the least surprised.

21. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

That's such a cool thing to say!
    [​IMG]