What Does Verizon Upgradeable Mean?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMonkey13, Sep 5, 2014.

1. MacMonkey13 macrumors member

My account with Verizon says I can upgrade my iPhone 5 now even though my two year contract is not yet over. What exactly does that mean? If I want a new iPhone do I have to buy it through Verizon or can I buy through Apple without any Verizon penalty?

2. reverberlayed macrumors regular

Verizon used to allow upgrades every 20 months. My contract isn't up until April 2015 but I am upgrade eligible in November 2014. They simply allow you to upgrade early for the subsidy price. I don't know about at the Apple store.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Don't get too excited without going through the pricing. It might not be as great as you think.

And, when I say go through the pricing, look at other options available. Many folks are paying way more for their service and phones than they need to.

Buy it through Verizon or Apple? Probably either way, but check the pricing.

4. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

It most likely means your eligible for the edge program. Verizon stopped doing early upgrades so you have to wait the full 24 months.

5. MacMonkey13 thread starter macrumors member

Why doesn't Verizon just add another 24 to my existing contract? Is that an option ?

6. Xerotech macrumors 6502

My contract is set to expire soon, but they're allowing me to upgrade at a discounted price right now. Up-gradable means as it says.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

What? :confused:

8. MacMonkey13 thread starter macrumors member

If I have 3 months left on my contract and want to upgrade with the subsidized pricing why wouldn't Verizon just extend my contract another 24 months? So I would have 27 months of contract rather than 24?

9. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

It doesn't work like that. It just resets it for another 24 months. Never any more.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

A 24-month contract is an obligation, not a blessing. When one is choosing to purchase a phone (E.g. an iPhone), one can pay full price for said phone ($650 and up) or purchase said phone at a steep discount ($200) in exchange for agreeing to remain a customer with the provider for another 24 months (I.e. Signing a 24-month contract).

Some prefer to pay full price and have the freedom to always leave/choose a cellular provider when they like. Others don't mind being "locked in" to that carrier because they have no reason to leave and get their phone at a discount.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

They would need to readjust their ETF calculations and probably some other legal items, which is likely more than its worth for them to do it.