What doesn't MacBook come in 15 inch monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CrimsonTider, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrimsonTider macrumors newbie

CrimsonTider

I know the MacBook Pro does but there is no way I am putting $2000 into a laptop.

I honestly feel the $1099 or higher is too high for the MacBooks as well.

A tech guy I work with just paid $449 for a new Dell that has 2GB Ram and 160 hard drive. It has a 15.4 screen.

I would rather have a Mac product with what I feel like I know but I just don't see paying twice the price.

Can someone enlighten me?

I have always used Windows based products and truthfully don't have problems except with getting viruses and having to have speed burning spyware and anti virus programs running constantly. I have Windows XP and my desktop is 5 years old. I had a Windows ME edition before that which crashed all of the time.

I run a business through ebay and spend lots of time on it but mainly have 3 or 4 mail programs open, along with eBay and sometimes 1 or 2 other tabs working but that is it. For certain things the speed slows down pretty good but I only have 512k memory.

I got the iPhone 3G when they came out and have been considering getting an iMac and a Mac laptop. Any help or comments would be appreciated.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

That Dell does not use the current technology, that is why it is so cheap. If you want a 15" Mac for that price, get an older revision.

TEG

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Because Jobs said he doesn't want it in the Macbook. The 13 inch is perfect for me and for portability. If you want a cheap laptop stick with PC's. You get what you pay for in life.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

True. $500 PC Laptop, useless in 2 years. $1000 Mac laptop, useful beyond 4 years. I have what was a $2800 Mac laptop, and it is still kicking and quite useful after 7 years and another one that is 6 years.

TEG

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

If you can't see the difference, then just buy a Dell. You will be quite happy and you don't need to know what is on the other side of the fence. Also without know the specs on the Dell, we really can't compare them.

6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

What's the resolution of the Dell's 15.4"? It's probably 1280·800, the same as the 13.3" MacBook.

7. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

Why would you want a bigger monitor? Macbook is much more portable. No wayyy @ 15.4 in!!!!

8. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Most of those cheap laptop that I have seen are more akin to a doorstop than a portable computer. Ever seen a Compaq from the 80's, it was a luggable, about the size of a carry-on bag.

9. kalex macrumors 65816

Don't buy new. get a refurb macbook or used and save alot of money that way.

those budget laptops are not that great. usually u get crappy resolution and substandard components and once you start loading them with options they don't become that much cheaper than macbook

10. mosx macrumors 65816

I haven't had the opportunity to post here in awhile. Unfortunately the other thread was closed for no reason. So I'll make my return here ;)

How do you know this? Actually, if you go to the Dell site, you'll see that the Inspiron 1525 (likely the model the OP is referring to) uses the same Santa Rosa chipset and Penryn based processors the MacBook does.

So they're both using out-dated chipsets and Penryn processors.

You can actually get a 13.3" Inspiron with the same specs as the $1299 MacBook for less than the entry MacBook ;)

DVD writer is standard.

Not true.

The cheapest Apple notebook ships with the X3100, which already performs worse than the generation before it making it outdated already, and it does not even ship with a DVD writer or an optical drive that could be upgraded by the user.

Not to mention the MacBooks (and Pros) lack standard connectivity options, like HDMI and eSATA.

Apple and OS X developers also have a knack for throwing CPU cycles at applications rather than optimizing them for speed, so those "fast" Core 2 Duos are not running at peak efficiency the way they would under Windows.

I mean, really, any notebook that ships with integrated Intel graphics is outdated by default. The current X4500 runs at 1/3 the speed of previous generation dedicated graphics when paired with the same CPU, and Apple's Intel GPU drivers have always been downright terrible, except for the GMA 950 (thanks to the way the GMA 950 works in hardware).

Apple's components are "quality"? The MacBook cracks on the palmrest thanks to the magentic latch, it cracks on the bottom due to heat thanks to the cooling system, it cracks on the back around the vents thanks to the heat, it discolors due to heat, the optical drives die left and right and you can't replace them!

An $800 HP will be built better than a MacBook and have graphics that outperform it by a large margin, along with the ability to play blu-ray movies (with an upgrade) and even modern games!

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

An unintelligent end-user. Anyone can get in there and replace anything.

Since when have HDMI and eSATA been standard?

12. mosx macrumors 65816

Unintelligent? Please. More like stupid design on Apple's part. Why should I have to perform surgery and pull the entire system apart to replace the optical drive? On PC notebooks you just power down, remove the battery, loosen a single screw and pull the drive out.

HDMI has been standard on PC notebooks for a couple of years now. It was part of the Santa Rosa spec even on the PC side.

eSATA has been standard for about all of this year. eSATA is in more PCs outside of the Mac world than Firewire outside of the Mac world.

13. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

On any brand of PC notebook? I doubt it.
    If someone wants to fiddle with the innards of their notebook, i'm pretty sure they're certain its not going to be as simple as you describe on any decent notebook

14. mosx macrumors 65816

Yes on any brand.

You just showed your complete lack of experience with non-Apple systems ;)

Most well built PCs conform to certain standards.

Replacing the optical drive consists of loosening a single screw on the bottom and simply pulling the drive out. Compared the complete system surgery required by a Mac.

Replacing the HDD on a PC generally requires removing two screws and lifting up a cover, giving you full access to the drive. You pull the tab lifting the drive out. Unlike Macs, the casing is held on by standard screws and not some obscure Torx size that can only be found in expensive tool kits.

Upgrading the RAM is the same as the HDD. You generally use your fingernail to lift the metal tabs to the sides and the RAM pops out. Re-inserting the RAM is usually a simple process of sliding in and pushing down.

To remove the battery for all of these procedures you just need to slide a lock on the bottom to the side. No need for getting a coin out and using it. You just drop the battery back in and it locks back in place.

15. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

to OP: you get what you pay for. compare specs on that $500 dell and the low end macbook, then decide what you want to do. i personally think it's worth the premium for the general lack of viruses and spyware, ease of use, etc. plus you can spread that cost over years if/when it does last longer than many cheap PCs out there

16. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Honestly when people start saying "I can get Brand X computer for $300 less than an Apple the Macs are overpriced" they should just stop considering Apple right then and there.

Maybe I'm jaded because I'm a Windows/Linux admin by trade and am just now getting a Mac, but really the main benefits are the OS and resulting speed and stability.

I've been running an old beat up 400mhz TiBook with Tiger, and for its age it's just an amazing machine. I'm tired of running Windows personally, just too many things can and do go wrong.

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I can get a Dell the same specs as a Macbook Pro for hundreds less. Do I care? Hell no. Any Mac is worth 10 times what Apple charge for them.

No additional software needed (you can't do anything with Windows out of the box). An equivalent suite of software to do what iLife does costs hundreds.

A far more productive OS that can potentially save you thousands over a course of several years (simplicity, logic, and ease of use).

Real Multi tasking.

I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, I'm not, I just think Windows is a joke, and I laugh at people who compare Macs to PC's.

18. CrimsonTider thread starter macrumors newbie

CrimsonTider

Now that is the type of information I was looking for. Very good info.

I don't see how it would make such a huge difference in "portability" between having a 13.3 or 15.4 in a bag to carry with me. But I do see a big difference when looking at a 13.3 and 15.4 screen. If I was concerned with portability, I would just use my iPhone for everything or get a 8.9 inch portable which is the size of a book.

19. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It was easy to see where you were headed with your original post. Get the PC.

BTW I have had a 15'4 and a 13'3 and personally I can tell a substantial difference. But if portability isn't a big deal to you then go for the big 17 incher. In the PC of course.

20. 11800506 macrumors 65816

As others have said, that 15.4" screen most likely has the same resolution as the Macbook so you really don't gain very much of an advantage. Also, I don't think it's really correct compare a Macbook to an Inspiron. To get a more proper comparison it would be better to compare a Macbook to an XPS m1330 in which case the Macbook is often slightly cheaper or around the same price. The Macbook is considered a premium computer and as such it should be compared to premium computers. I don't want to start a flame war so I'll leave it at that, but if want a $500 Dell, by all means buy one.

And it's pretty clear that mosx is a troll...

21. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

Ah, the old versus thread. The MacBook doesn't come in a 15" monitor because Apple didn't want them to because the MacBook Pro has a 15" monitor. The MacBook is geared more towards the mobile users who are willing to have less screen but still retain power.

Now, if the MacBook would come with a dedicated graphics card, we'd be all set.

22. CrimsonTider thread starter macrumors newbie

CrimsonTider

You get what you pay for?

I am a big believer in that. The only problem is that I don't see the big difference in quality for the $449 and the entry $1099 that I mentioned.

Why doesn't Apple offer a longer warranty if they last so much longer? Like I said, I have had my desktop HP Windows XP for 5 years. It still works and doesn't really slow down until I get more than 2 heavy sites open at once and it is still a minimal drop off in speed. So all of this about them lasting for 2 years is bogus.

Someone mentioned the additional programs I need to buy for a Windows machine. The only other software I really "need" would be Word since it is the dominant player in the computer world and makes sending things easier on my end. I can get the student edition with Word, Excel and Power Point for $79 so I am still paying half of what I would for the MacBook.

23. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

So whats that eSATA-looky-like thingy on the MacBook pro? Okay so Apple calls it an 'Expansion Port' but the guy in the Apple Store says its an eSata port.

24. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

It's not an eSATA port.

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The guy needs to be fired or penalized. It's called ExpressCard/34, and it's for telecommunication broadband cards, eSATA cards, FireWire cards, or whatever else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.