What ever happened to the 4G or HSPA+ symbol on AT&T iPhone 4S!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Dec 12, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

There was talk when the 4S was released that a software update was going to enable a 4G symbol for the AT&T iPhone when it was connected to their HSPA+ network. I haven't heard anything since and wanted to know if anyone heard any recent news or rumors about this. It would be nice to know if and when I was on the faster HSPA+ network compared to the 3G HSPA one.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

HSPA+ is still considered 3G, just like LTE. Apple said no to AT&T's request.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And rightfully so. Even the current version of LTE doesn't meet the ITU-R definition of 4G. So, right now? NONE of the phones out there are true "4G" phones.

Though an "H+" symbol on the 4S would've been nice.

4. thenerdal macrumors 65816

iPhone 4S only has 3G. LTE Advanced and WiMAX is true 4G.

----------

Actually, there are some phones that are true 4G. Running WiMAX.

HTC Evo 4G is a phone that is a true 4G phone. There are no true 4G LTE phones yet.

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Just wait another year and I am sure AT&T will start calling the current service "4g" for no reason other than....uh....well, they just are

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You will know when you have 4G on AT&T as you will no longer have an unlimited data plan!:eek:

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you want to get pedantic about it, the proposed WiMAX 802.16m (aka "WirelessMAN Advanced") would be considered "true 4G". Current WiMAX does not come close to IMT-Advanced specs.

That said, what you're saying would have been true in 2009/2010. Last December, ITU decided that:
    HSPA+ certainly offers a "substantial" performance increase over initial 3G speeds, so AT&T is properly branding it as a "4G" technology.

But I suspect you knew that :cool:

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

So, we could enjoy 5 minutes of using data on the phone per month? Yeah!

9. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

AT&T will do ANYTHING to get users off unlimited.

10. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Every other AT&T HSPA+ device is branded as 4G. While I know it's not real 4G, it would be nice to know when you're connected to the faster network compared to the standard HSPA 3G network. Also AT&T brands their HSPA+ network as 4G and their LTE network as 4G LTE (as seen in the map below).

Even if the indicator wasn't '4G' but just an 'H+' it would have been useful. I know there was talk of it at some point but just hadn't heard an update for some time.

Attached Files:

11. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I'd be happy with a "3G+" icon. I think there is an issue doing H+, while WE understand it, most iPhone users would probably freak out because they lost their "three gees." Put a plus on it for HSPA+ and people think 'Well, I had 3G, now I have 3G plus, and thats always better." Hence, no freak out period, and everybody is happy, and then AT&T can use it as an advantage. Honestly, AT&T should have branded it 3G+ in the first place.

And as far as I know, Apple never said "no" to the request to change the icon for 4G, they did say no to branding the phone as 4G. I think Apple is at odds because since they only show 3G or 4G, not all the others like many other phones, Apple wants to save the elusive "4G" for LTE.

12. x986 macrumors regular

Question: Does the 4S show the same 3G symbol for 3G, HSPA24 & HSPA42? With my 4(nonS) I was getting 1-3Mbs down & pings in the 150ms range. Since I was underwhelmed with the 4S specs, I have been test driving the AT&T Galaxy Skyrocket, and getting 3-7Mbs down & 70-80ms pings in "4G" areas. LTE is showing 15-19Mbs down & 50ms pings. I know that the 4S doesn't get LTE, but is the only way to tell that I am in an HSPA area by counting how many times my thumbs twiddle while waiting for a download? (Short of actually measuring speeds)

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes. More precisely, it shows 3G for any UTMS, HSDPA, and HSPA+ connections.

14. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Pretty lame:(

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Calling HSPA+ and branding it as 4G is wholly inaccurate as many have said. AT&T is still in the process of building more towers for their actual 4G. But, for some reason, AT&T at time sometimes calls any HSPA+ as having 4G. While HSPA+ is faster than 3G, it's definitely not as fast as a real 4G.

Also, this status bar change is probably Apple's decision since they are the ones who are writing the software. They usually don't make a modification for 1 device and leave the others unchanged. They want uniformity. The addition of the HSPA+ was just as a result of installing a better antenna. But, putting a 4G in there would cause an imbalance. They probably won't until Sprint and Verizon get this service.

That's just my 2 cents.

16. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

As I described earlier in this thread, HSPA+ can be branded as a 4G technology. Current implementations of LTE can be branded as 4G technology also, but are not "actual 4G" (assuming you mean IMT-Advanced specs) any more than HSPA+ is. Neither is WiMax. LTE-Advanced will conform, but LTE in its current form does not.

Any product that provides a "substantial" improvement in performance over basic 3G can be and are being branded as "4G". This includes HSPA+, WiMax, and LTE.

If you're going to be pedantic, do so accurately.

17. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Only Verizon LTE is true 4G.

ATT Hspa+ and Sprint's WiMax is not 4G. Tmobile's 4G also isn't true 4G.

18. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, Apple should of let AT&T have the "H+" like their android phones have or a "3G+" since it's faster than regular 3G.

19. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

If you're going to get snarky, at least pretend you understand what I said. Don't just throw out a bunch technology mumbo jumbo and end with a patronizing remark.

Let me make it clear to you what I said. HSPA+ technically it is not 4G, well to be exactly accurate LTE (3GPP). Calling it 4G is a misnomer. Doesn't matter if there are devices that are called 4G can attain those speeds (doubtful). The iPhone isn't even capable of reaching those speeds since it's limited by their HSPA+. I'm not sure if AT&T even has begun or will have their LTE-Advanced that will be true 4G and not the 3.9G that LTE is. AT&T can brand it whatever they want, that's their prerogative. It's a private business. But, these are specifications from Apple and the ITU.

Verizon's LTE is also technically 3.9G like the rest. They may just have better service. It's not true 4G as specified by the ITU. LTE-Advanced that will be coming soon should be true 4G. It is commonly called 4G just because it is much faster than 3G and practically 4G.