what exactly causes the iPhone to die on car chargers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Draddy, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Draddy macrumors regular

so I've read exmples of people plugging their iPhone into their iPod car charger and it dieing. What exactly is the cause of this? I can't imagine that apple would have kept the dock connector if they were not compatable. I know that the cable for an iPod will charge the phone but won't transfer data. Why would the voltage be different in a car charger?

Thanks

2. dstein macrumors member

i was wondering this too. i didnt realize that anyone else had any problems with it...i tapped into my cigarette lighter to power my illuminated shift know and figured the knob might be pulling power from the phone for some reason but i guess if its a problem with others?

3. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I use the old cable that came with my iPod and it charges and syncs my iPhone just fine. I keep the one that came with the phone upstairs with the charger.

4. christall109 macrumors 6502

First of all there are a number of things that could cause. (I myself have a griffin iTrip that I use to charge my iPhone.)

First of all the iPhone is very sensitive to electronic changes. This is mostly due to the nature of the device.

99% of the time the iPhone will "die" when I'm either starting or stopping the car engine. This occurs because when you start the car, there is an electrical "surge" through the cars circuits. It's not enough to do any real damage, but just enough to cause the iPhone to crash. I simply solved the problem by unplugging it before I start/stop the car.

Hopes this helps,

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

hell my first iphone blew up like that, and it was on the first week of iday :( my dad just started the car and my phone just went haywire

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I had a Griffin iTrip that worked with my Touch. When I got the iPhone I plugged the iTrip into it. The phone didn't indicate it was charging and the audio didn't pass. The iPhone quickly began to heat up and I never plugged the iTrip into it again. Later on I got Belkin's iPhone-compatible version of the iTrip and it works just fine. There is definitely something about the issue.

7. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

well, I was actually talking more on the killing it side...

I've read, or heard of at least 4 people who plugged their iPhone into iPod car chargers and it over-volted the charge and fried (as in overheated) the iPhone till it died (as in bricked).

I'm to scared to try mine :(

8. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I've left mine in a DLO Transpod for close to 10hrs, and not had a problem. Charger works, and it transmits audio just fine.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Probably something having to do with volts or amps. I know it was difficult (nay, impossible) to find a 3rd party power adapter for the old AirPort Extreme Base Station because it had unique power requirements. iPhone may be the same way. Best to listen to the manufacturer when they say something will kill a $400 piece of equipment.

10. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I leave mine plugged into my Clarion iPod controller when driving and even when starting and stopping the car. It doesnt seem to have a problem. I havent tried to plug it into a regular ipod charger though.