What FanControl and Temp. Monitor you using in W7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DonCarlos, Jan 30, 2010.

1. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

I present use and am happy with, smcFanControl and iStat on the Mac side.

I am wondering what recommendations anyone has for similiar programs while in Windows 7.

Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Interested in this as well since one of my iMacs had a temp related shutdown in W7 recently.

3. DonCarlos thread starter macrumors regular

DonCarlos

Yeah that hasn't happened to me, but I sure notice that my mini is runner much hotter in W7. When I switch back to mac from W7 I am shocked at the temperature increase that is displayed on my iStat. In SL I usually run anywhere from 108-135F depending on what I am doing. But when I return from W7 my temp starts off at 165F.

4. DonCarlos thread starter macrumors regular

DonCarlos

5. aki macrumors 6502a

there arent good answers that i know about

i use Real Temp for cpu temp monitoring under Win7 tho I dont know for sure if it is meant to be accurate for imac hardware on not. i dont have anything for hd temp which i worry more about

for fan control i use smcfancontrol with the reboot trick to keep it running when using windows

its not the best thing but it works

6. DonCarlos thread starter macrumors regular

DonCarlos

Hey Thanks for the response.

Can you tell me about that trick? I am not aware.

Hey if I locate a solution on the windows side for iStat and smcfancontrol equivilants...I will post.

7. ssn637 macrumors 6502

8. aki macrumors 6502a

have heard of lubbo but never used it. does anything bad happen if you stop bootcamp service?

smcfancontrol trick is basically you set your fans in osx, and then reboot directly into windows. the fan settings stay as they were. (if you shut down, and then boot up into windows, the fan settings stay at mac normal.)

so i have a "windows setting" in smcfancontrol. i set that, then set the startup pref pane to boot into my windows partition, and restart. fans stay at the higher windowsy speed.

not ideal but works

9. ssn637 macrumors 6502

You lose the ability to dim or brighten the display and keyboard backlighting, and I suppose trackpad functionality is also lost, but so long as a mouse is connected none of these services are essential when gaming. Lubbo's fan control works quite well, with automatic temperature regulation and monitoring. My GPU temperature rarely exceeds 75 °C when gaming (without overclocking).

10. DonCarlos thread starter macrumors regular

DonCarlos

11. virgomac macrumors member

I always used speedfan when I was on windows. I don't have it installed on my windows 7 desktop gaming rig though right now since I just reformatted. But I don't recall having any problems with it.

12. aki macrumors 6502a

Hm its all automatic? ok that sounds pretty cool. i presume it will run same on an imac as a laptop? anyway will have a look thanks for the info

13. gigas65 macrumors member

gigas65

Speedfan

I just installed latest Speedfan on Windows 7, and after about 1 minute to load, it only displays CPU temp-different for each core-at least i have cpu temp.

14. DonCarlos thread starter macrumors regular

DonCarlos

Well I tried different ones here.......with little success of them monitoring, and no success at controlling the fan, while in W7.

But I did find one that appears pretty accurate and dies show a fluctuating fan speed. http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Perhaps the other monitors didn't work because I am running an older mini with an older chipset.

Thanks to all for your comments in this thread.