What feature of Leopard are you anticipating the most?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sartajc, Oct 1, 2007.

?

Which Leopard Feature Are You Anticipating the Most?

1. New Desktop Look

9.3%
  2. New Finder With Coverflow and Quick Look

28.0%
  3. Time Machine

23.4%
  4. Spaces

16.8%
  5. New Mail/iCal

3.7%
  6. New iChat/Photo Booth

2.8%
  7. Dashboard Clips/Sync

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Front Row/DVD Player

0.9%
  9. New Automater Workflow

0.9%
  10. New Accessibility Features

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Expecting Apple To Announce A Secret Feature Better Than All Of These

6.5%
  12. Other

7.5%
  1. sartajc macrumors member

Spaces is actually the biggest reason i switched to Mac instead of Ubuntu Linux. The idea is complete genius yet very simple. I cant wait to use it.

Edit: I forgot to add Boot Camp final, but i guess thats not really a new feature.

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I was just looking down this list and i found it very hard to decide. Not because there were too many, but too little. this has reminded me of why i really don't need to upgrade from tiger. the only reason i think i would get leopard is if i got a new mac.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A stable and fast Finder. Don't care one whit about Coverflow; it strikes me as a wholly inadequate way to negotiate a Mac.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree. I see no point in Coverflow in the Finder other than eye candy and a resource hog. Not even a fan of it on the iPod/iPhone.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hasn't Linux had "spaces" for absolutely ages.

I vote for new Finder as i will be using that the most so improvments there are greatly appreciated. However I'm sure when the time comes that Time Machine will be a VERY valued addition.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Does a mod's vote not appear in the list of who voted for what, I'm assuming you posted after the poll was put up because you specifically mention Coverflow in your post.

7. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

I'm waiting just for Leopard - all else is secondary. Actually, I think a non-beta Bootcamp is my #1 expectation.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I didn't vote. :p

9. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

I'm still desperately clinging to the possibility of resolution independence, so i voted for the secret feature better than all of those :)

10. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Time Machine I hope to use for a consistent, no worry backup system. So it's my #1 desired feature.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

spaces?

I think if thats the reason, you obviously picked the wrong side.

back to topic, most anticipate features of leopard, imho, is the drastically improved system speed and shortcut system as well as build in VM fusion.

now that would be a killer, but I doubt apple is capable of doing that.

the poll design is strange, why would ppl getting excited because of a small app like "new ical!", "DVD player!", they are apps. I would be amazed if apple can sell them OS just for these things....

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree here. of course all the nice looking things that come along with the Finder are welcome.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Time Machine is going to be great, and is the biggest reason I'm looking forward to Leopard, though I must admit that I like many of the new features.

14. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

erm, core animation and full 64bit are surely the biggest things here, im pretty sure apple will stick in unseen core animation not in the dev copy so they have a nice fancy announcment. i think the new finder is the most exciting thing though, stable, fast, quicklook and desktop sharing, all great.

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

16. sartajc thread starter macrumors member

Well spaces isnt the ONLY reason. I just think that mac overall is the best *nix distro.

17. devman macrumors 65816

devman

As a user - Time Machine.

As a developer - Core Animation (nee LayerKit)

18. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

None of the above. Just an easy and intuitive way of setting up network printers would suit me. A minutes work in XP and Suse 10. Crap in OS X.
    A job like this, which the average user only does occasionally, needs to be made much easier and more intuitive.

19. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I can think of a number of items...

1. Finder - have they FTFF? Real intersting to know.

2. To-do's - A feature I will get a lot of use out of

3. Time Machine. I've got about 5TB of disk storage. Time Machine may offer a chance to use some of it in a more elegent way.

4. New Text to speech - Great proofing tool getting the machine to read text back to you. improved voice tech is going to be very useful for me.

5. Performance. This is the first version of OSX that will have been optimized to run on these new intel machines (Tiger was a port - it worked good enough - but only just good enough).

20. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Based on these responses, I'm thinking that Leopard really won't bring that much to the table, like I've been saying.

I'm sure I'll upgrade too, but Vista brought more to XP than Leopard will to Tiger, and Apple fanboys always ride on the Windows folk for it. Just sad that all the "secret features/updates" that His Jobsness talked about originally was just the RDF talking. And I love Apple :cool:

21. MacVault macrumors 65816

I'm anticipating...

I'm anticipating that with Leopard Apple will do as a good company should and allow me to run OS X on any old x86 hardware.

This is imperetive - especially since Apple insists on limiting their product lines. ie: no sub-$1000 mini-tower, or no good graphics in the MacBook.

Oh wait, this won't happen until $teve Job$ is out of the picture.

:mad::mad:

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My top 3 things..

#1. Time Machine.. Yay backup!
    #2. Stability. Tiger is less stable on my MBP then XP was on my old laptop
    #3. Stacks and that other thing for folders in the dock. I have that for the dock I use in Ubuntu and it's amazing.

23. Kinkade macrumors member

Spaces is the new feature that I will use the most. Its little things like that that made me switch to Mac.

The real reason I am upgrading is the stuff under the hood. The new technologies in the coding or what not that let developers and apple release better, faster, and cooler applications.

That and a multitude of other little improvements in ease of use and performance.

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Stacks! I'm a big downloader, and want ease-of-access to my files, without a cluttered desktop :)
    My dad's main reason for upgrading is iCal...he uses it all the time, and this will bring useful features for him...

25. nyc2socal macrumors newbie

Spaces

I was using SUSE as my workstation for a while, and had to go back to XP.. Don't ask... :(

Didn't realize how much I relied on "spaces" in Linux.. Was planning to buy a new iMac, when I discovered it didn't have "spaces" either.. So I'm waiting for Leopard before I buy an iMac..

The wait is killing me though!! This will be my first Mac (approx 20 years of PC).