What features would an iPhone need so that you never wanted to upgrade ever again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waa1futs, Jul 12, 2013.

1. waa1futs macrumors 6502

What features would an iPhone need so that you never felt like wanted to upgrade ever again?

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

The ability to upgrade discrete parts without purchasing a brand new phone. Settle on a screen size option, purchase a processor, memory and ram, company assembles for you custom. In a few years, parts are old, you send back or take in, pay a little bit and replace that part.
    Solves theft issues, makes every product personal..
    Not exactly the answer to your question but that is the only way I could see keeping roughly the same device for long periods of time.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No such thing. It's not just a matter of specific features. It's future capabilities that do not exist, whether it's faster processing, newer physical interfaces, newer wireless connectivity, newer display technology, etc, etc, etc. The problem with the question is that it assumes that all that can be invented has been invented already.

4. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

"Never wanting to upgrade again" just doesn't make sense.

Should have asked "What upgrades that you would like, and maybe postpone upgrading for a few more years, instead of every one or two years. That to, however, depends what is released in the future. :D

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I was going to say you'll only avoid the need to upgrade if you use your phone for calls and nothing else. But eventually the cell towers will be switched over to newer generations of broadcast technology. No need to keep 2G, 3G and 4G coverage going when everyone else is using 7G, 8G and 9G.

6. 617aircav Suspended

That makes no sense. Tech will always improve.

7. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Compatibility with future, as yet unreleased, wireless technologies and frequency bands.

8. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I've had an iPhone 4 since a few months after launch, and feel no compelling desire to upgrade from it.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

That didn't work all that well for desktop pc's and I don't see it working here. You can spend a lot of money on individual components only to be left with a bottleneck somewhere else. Otherwise, I would have kept my Pentium 3.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

As long as it still works, I will probably keep my iPhone 5 until at least January 2015 when my contract is up if not a little longer. My Blackberry Storm 2 Conveniently died just after my contract was up, but I had my Samsung flip phone for 5 years before that. It called and texted, and that was all I needed in high school. My MacBook Pro has served me well for 4 years and won't be replaced anytime soon as long as this current hard drive holds up. It might have a Core 2 Duo, an HDD, and a SuperDrive, but it still works perfectly well for my uses.

Features that would keep me from wishing to upgrade? Don't know since they're not out yet.

11. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Nothing, never, no matter how good it is; people will always want to change and upgrade. Silly question.

12. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I see your point but knowing apple, they'd still use that Pentium to it's potential. And future technologies will look back on Pentium as the grand pappy of computing. If tech keeps advancing the way it does then we'll hit a speed ceiling and someone will have to invent a readical new way to compute and likely it'll end up being a CPU/GPU combo thumb nail size chip that produces new heat and puts out 4ghz with the power you could get from a lemon... not to be too speculative.

This idea comes from an ecological stand point, not a consumer friendly one.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Just look how far we've come in the last 5-6 years. It's insane when u really start to think about it.

Your question makes NO sense whatsoever. There is tech right around the corner that we don't even know about.

14. mcmul macrumors 6502

Nothing would stop me from upgrading because I'm one capitalist bastard.

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Don't want to be able to dent the phone by pressing my fingernail into it or bend it like a coke can.

16. aluren macrumors 65816

17. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

18. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Retina display is the only thing that force me to upgrade from 3GS,
    And then when I got the 4, I hold on to it until apple announce 4" inch display.

So the thing that would settle for me for the next 2-3 years is 1080p 5" iPhone :D

19. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Changeable parts like build your own smartphone, buy your pone once and then say in 1 year just buy a better camera and processor for it, replace it with camer and processor in your phone and your good to go.

20. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

21. darky90 macrumors member

Self updateable hardware.... but that's never going to happen.