What firmware to expect on new white iPhone 4 16GB AT&T?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Charadis, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on getting a new iPhone 4 16GB for AT&T before they are phased out, but I want to be able to have an untethered jailbreak installed if possible. I'm not interested in the 4S right now, and I've wanted the white iPhone for a while now.

There are some at my local WalMart for $117 plus the upgrade fee, but I want to know if anyone here knows what firmware to expect if I do purchase one? :confused:

Or is there any way to find out by looking at the box/numbers?

-C

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

It depends on how long the phone has been sitting at WalMart, or anywhere else. However, I doubt they'd be so old as to have a firmware that would support an untethered jb which, I think, is 4.3.1.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

dont you have 14 days to return it if its higher than 4.3.1?

4. Charadis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, well I appreciate the responses, guys. I believe the last untethered jailbreak, that I am aware of, is for iOS 4.3.3 (it's on my current iPhone 4). My target range is between 4.3.1 to 4.3.3.

I was wondering if anyone has picked up a new iP4 recently and might have an idea on what to expect, or what firmware was installed in the latest/last shipment of iP4s.

True, I could definitely use the return period, and I'm definitely banking on that in case the phone does not meet my criteria; I will be expending my upgrade eligibility after all. I just feel it's a waste of a good deal to return something that someone else would have been happy to buy.

I'm pretty excited that I have a chance to pick up a new iP4 for full subsidized pricing, and the color that I want. I'd be able to sell my current one for a little extra. But I absolutely must have my jailbreak.

-C

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is no way of knowing slight chance if somebody got one from the same walmart. One store might go through them in droves another not so much. best way to find out it to go to walmart. I'm on the 5.0 simitethered it's not that bad I can even still use it if I turn the power off. I just can't access cydia and safari till I reboot in redsn0w. just go get it don'rt sweat it! ;) fyi Iclarified has jb tutorial for all firmware versions.

6. Pinklady1127 macrumors newbie

Pinklady1127

The new ip4 8gig comes with 5.0 16gb i dont know it might depend on the carrier

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

At my work, we're currently selling iPhone 4s with 4.3.5 out of the box. Hope this helps!

8. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

Seeing as apple doesn't make the 16g iPhone 4 anymore, they are just selling what's left in their stock. The 8 Gb is all apple is selling of the iPhone 4. That being said, I bought a 16Gb iPhone 4 for my wife this past weekend at a Wallmart (all the AT&T store had none), and it came with 4.2.5 all for $117 bux.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

4.2.5 that's Verizon nice price though.

10. krFALCON macrumors newbie

krFALCON

Assuming it's the same for all hardware capacities, the iPhone 4 (GSM) I got on September 30 was running 4.3.3.

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I had my 4 replaced under warranty the same day the 4s was released. It came with 5.0.

12. solo118 macrumors 65816

I would assume ios5 unless its an old stock item