Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I have several USB thumb drives with different flavors Windows 7. Unfortunately they're not well labeled. Is there any way to know what version of Windows (i.e. Windows 7 Professional 32-bit) is on there short of installing the whole thing and finding out?

Here's a screenshot of what I see on the disk:

2014-02-04_at_7.33.33_PM.png

I've opened the autorun.inf in an effort to see what it is, but it's not much help.

Any ideas?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I've opened the autorun.inf in an effort to see what it is, but it's not much help.

Any ideas?
Actually both of your screenshot and autorun.inf cleraly indicate that it is a 64-bit installer with "bootmgr.efi" and "x64" information present and these two items won't appear in a 32-bit installer. To find out which version of Windows, just locate the "ei.cfg" file in the "sources" folder and open it with a text editor.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
OK, cool. So this must be the 64-bit Ultimate edition of Windows from a retail channel and not Volume License agreement.

2014-02-04_at_9.32.33_PM.png

Bonus questions:
How can I tell what Service Pack is part of the install?
How can I know it's Windows 7 and not Windows 8 or Vista?

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Bonus questions:
How can I tell what Service Pack is part of the install?
How can I know it's Windows 7 and not Windows 8 or Vista?
The info can be extracted from the "install.wim" file in "sources" folder as explained in this link. However, Windows 8.1 has a "install.esd" instead as discussed here. That should cover every edition from Vista to Windows 8.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.