What former nations would you like to see get their independence one day?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jan 10, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am of Okinawan descent and many of my relatives, through marriage, are Sicilian with a sprinkling of northern Italian. Okinawa and Sicily are both areas that were taken over by bigger countries, Japan and Italy, respectively. I hope one day both islands get their independence back.

In Japan, my grandfather, an Okinawan, was treated like a second class citizen so he moved to America where he reached success that would not have been possible in Japan. Some in Japan still think there is not full equality for the Okinawans of today.

Also where I live is an area with a lot of Sicilians and I got to hear about the annexation by Italy in the late 1800s, and to this day, they are treated like a conquered territory. At the local European cafe in town, the northern Italians sit at one table and the Sicilians at another table, even though most were born in America and in some cases had parents born here. The peace won't happen, even with these American citizens, until a real independence is reached.

Of course, there are other areas of the world, a Palestinian state within Israel and Northern Ireland, which come to mind first.

2. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

The internet and ease of communication and travel are making national borders irrelevant.

4. Queso macrumors G4

5. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Northern Ireland (I know, not really a nation, but still the only reasonable compromise is independence from the Union and the Republic).

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Although I don't approve of their methods, I do think they have a cause. I don't know if a separate state really answers any problems (India should probably have invaded and annexed decades ago), but the Tamil population in Sri Lanka deserves more protection and enfranchisement than the government offers them.

However, in many cases I don't really think that statehood is the right way forward. Sometimes, I think it is -- e.g. Palestine, because I think a credible military deterrent in Palestine is the only way to achieve peace between them and Israel. In some of the other cases... I'm a little less convinced that the Basque or the Quebecois will have better lives in independence. But I guess it doesn't matter to me either way.

7. Queso macrumors G4

I've thought of another one. The County of Toulouse :D

8. No1451 macrumors 6502

I second this, then I don't need to share a country with those no-good separatists and the only thing we would need to worry about are those pesky pirates of the Saskatchewan:).

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

If we put pressure on them, right as China is turning the corner and becoming a fully modern nation, I think they will give up Tibet in return for leverage in the Western markets and Japan/South Korea.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not a hope in hell.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree, however autonomy and self-determination transcend nationalism.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The Internet makes it irrelevant when a dominant group of people kill scores of people from smaller weaker populations?

Still, it's interesting that while stable states seem to head towards further integration, unstable one head towards disintegration. Independence really has to be a first step, because eventually people will need to work well together with their neighbors.

14. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Tibet, Taiwan, Palestine.

Palestine has a start with observer status, but it needs to be taken a step further.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'd like to see Puerto Rico finally pick statehood or independence. No more of this "status quo" crap on any referenda.

HA! :D

17. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

The more integrated we become as a people, the more we mix together, the more we breed together, the more we share ideas, I am certain that we won't have so much of what you mention.

The first world war saw Britain try to pretend to her populace that the Germans were vicious monsters in all manner of ways. Nowadays, I have family in Berlin. Times change.

I'm thinking long-term. The middle-to-short term is too dark and depressing to try to predict as is.

Fair point.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You mean you're part vicious monster, but now you feel able to admit it? That's progress.

19. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

What former nations would you like to see get their independence one day?

Palestine. kthx

20. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

You captured the essence of what I was saying perfectly.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? I don't get it. :confused:

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Was Daleyville former nation?? ;)

And the only nation Quebec ever was, was Lower Canada.

And I agree with the whiney, squeaky-wheel, solution previously alluded to.