What from your experience has been the best way to put Outlook mail on Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by key-lime, Oct 16, 2011.

1. key-lime macrumors newbie

I am clueless to this stuff, so I am not sure what the options are. I assume the only Apple Mail option is the Mail Stamp with the bird in it? If so, is this web based? I would prefer not throwing tons of emails from Outlook onto my Apple hard drive as they are many GB's. Is I have to, that is fine. I was considering using Thunderbird to import them. From your experience, what is the best way to import Outlook emails in a way that will allow for all emails to be synced to other Apple products and be able to be accessed via the web on any computer. Much appreciation for this elementary question.

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I am not 100% sure what you are asking but if you want make sure all your mail from outlook comes over to Apple Mail then I would temporarily ask for more mail quota from your server admin and dump any local folders back onto the server via outlook. Configure Apple Mail and then copy those same folders back and delete them on server.

3. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Apple Mail is the only mail client that comes with OS X, but there are many free clients you can download (PostBox, Sparrow etc).
    Apple Mail is not web based per se like GMail or Hotmail is, although you can use these types of accounts in Apple Mail.
    If you use a POP account with your Outlook, you can choose to leave messages on the server. That way, they will be stored on the mail server as well as in Apple Mail.
    I agree that Thunderbird is the best way to import Outlook Mail into Apple Mail. If you want to sync your mail to all your devices, you can forward your current mail account to your new @me.com account and then your mail will be synched via ICloud to all your devices.