what furniture color to go with???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phadam, Aug 28, 2009.

1. phadam macrumors regular

just repainted the office room. getting all new furniture now :) i am a little torn between white furniture or black. I was generally thinking black as I was kind of going for a dark theme but white would also have a really nice contrast.
    The room is painted a dark charcoal color with maybe a hint of blue tone to it..but pretty dark anyways. I have white window trim and shutters with a pretty new white chair that I dont plan on getting rid of. My corner desk is being made right now but cant decide between white or black?? I think they would both be pretty good in the room so just looking on opinions from an outside point of view. Its all wood furniture so I could even do black filing cabinets with a white desk top??
    opinions? suggestions? always helpful. thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pics of the room would be best to be helpful. Right now I say white.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Hmm.. have a picture of the paint colour? Dark Charcoal could be a lot of things,but it would help to see the exact colour.

Something else to think about: where are the windows in the room relative to the sun? cardinal direction? Will you get the morning or afternoon sun? Reflection off the furniture would come into play as well, and with a dark room it may heat up a lot more than the rest of the house despite air conditioning.

If you want the contrast though, white will be what you want, or stay with black and make the trim pop out in the room. Do you have any baseboards in the room? if so, what colour? Finally, carpet or hardwood floor?

BL.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Between white and black, I think you should go with white. I'm basing this advice on what you said.

However, I must say that white furniture sounds quite ugly to me. :eek:

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Dark walls = light furniture. And the other way around. You have to create contrasts in the room, or else it will all just disappear.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I like the contrasting walls/furniture comment above. Go with that and pick up one or two very vibrant and interesting looking ornaments in red or orange to give it all a very creative feel. Love that.

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I think black with charcoal blue tone wall would be ugly (black and blue is not a good look IMO), but white would be too austere and too bright against the dark back drop...I would do a warm golden like beige color.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd pick a darker wood, but overall, I agree.

White? White!?!