What game are you playing currently?

Taustin Powers

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2005
Finally finished Mass Effect Andromeda.

It wasn’t terrible. Good combat mechanics, good graphics, beautiful planets, loads of content. But it’s shameful when compared to the original trilogy. Felt more like a cheesy chinese knock-off you can buy at a gas station for ten bucks, called „Mess Affect“ or something... The writing was decent at times and cringeworthy at others. Your crew mostly consists of annoying dimwits, except for the Krogan and the Turian. A „quirky Asari named Peebee“?? Decisions weren’t all clear cut good or evil, so that was interesting. But they had little to no impact on the story, so why even bother. Some interesting story elements never get picked up again or explained.

The end of the Shepherd trilogy had my wife and me in tears. The end of Andromeda was just like „ah, it’s over“.

Comment

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I absolutely loved Atlantis. I got my platinum trophy and played a +game with the girl for 30 minutes, just to see how it played with the character since I chose Alexios.
So now that I am in Act 2 of Fate of Atlantis, I am starting to like it more. I guess I just didn't care for the feel of Elysium. The underworld has been fun and interesting so far. Now at 162 hours of playtime. Best bang for buck game I have ever purchased :)

Reactions: BlankStar
Comment

tyc0746

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2019
I've just started Snowrunner, after getting a bit bored of the normal Forza/Project Cars/Dirt driving games.

Much slower, and a bit frustrating at time...but well worth the effort.

Comment

Bluetoot-

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
I’ve been playing Battlefront II religiously, but my PS4 seems like it’s giving up the ghost. I turned it on today and got this seizure-inducing flashing on screen; the image is also doubled. I’m going to let it cool off and maybe apply some new thermal paste.
Speaking of, what’s with the prices of PS4 right now? They’re all over $300, even on eBay. Am I missing something?

Comment

MisterSavage

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2018
Speaking of, what’s with the prices of PS4 right now? They’re all over $300, even on eBay. Am I missing something?

People are trapped at home and need entertainment. When I tried to buy Final Fantasy 7 remake recently on Amazon all of the prices were third party sellers that were over $110 (standard edition). I was able to get it for normal price a few days later.

Reactions: Bluetoot-
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve been playing Battlefront II religiously, but my PS4 seems like it’s giving up the ghost. I turned it on today and got this seizure-inducing flashing on screen; the image is also doubled. I’m going to let it cool off and maybe apply some new thermal paste.
PS4 prices will continue to hold value until approximately September, especially when you will see an influx of users selling their used consoles in preparation to upgrade to the new PS5 In December. Plus, anyone who owns a PS4 right now, will retain their console in order to play the ‘The Last of us two’, which is probably going to be the biggest title for the PS4 to date.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't posted in this thread for a little while. I got the RE3 remake a week or so ago, and finished it on Saturday. Currently in clear-the-backlog mode, on the original Nier. I think I'm about halfway through (I've just encountered Noir).

Comment

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
So I have finally finished my play through of Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and all the DLC clocking in at 178 1/2 hours. I absolutely loved this game. I wasn't too big of a fan of the original Assassin's Creed games, stealth games aren't big on my list of entertainment.

With this one being more open world RPG, it just really grabbed me. I even started to like the stealth portion of it.

Not bad for $27.

Oh and since they just had an Xbox sale for AC games, i just picked up Origins Gold Edition for $25.

I am really looking forward to Valhalla.

Comment

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I got the platinum trophy for both AC Origines and Odyssey. It were my first two platinums. I never felt it was worth the trouble, but these games are so much fun to play that it didn't feel like a chore to get the trophies. I pre-ordered AC: Valhalla Collector's Edition less than an hour after the announcement of the game. Just read it will be smaller that the two AC:O's, but that doesn't bother me, can't wait to dual wield axes ;-)

Comment

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I got the platinum trophy for both AC Origines and Odyssey. It were my first two platinums. I never felt it was worth the trouble, but these games are so much fun to play that it didn't feel like a chore to get the trophies. I pre-ordered AC: Valhalla Collector's Edition less than an hour after the announcement of the game. Just read it will be smaller that the two AC:O's, but that doesn't bother me, can't wait to dual wield axes ;-)
That is exactly the way I will go too, dual wield axes.

So I just started in on Origins. Going to take some getting used to as the combat feels a slight bit different from Odyssey, seems like a bit more reaction lag to pulling out the shield or bow. Also, what is with all the arrows. Just running through town I got accosted by 2 soldiers on camelback who had bows and just kept circling me. Then, that alerted about 10 other soldiers nearby on foot that all pulled out bows and started shooting. Add tot the fact that they fire quicker than Odyssey, and I became a pincushion very quickly.

Already I think the abilities tree was better in Odyssey. The one in Origins looks a bit convoluted. And is there a quicksave in Origins? I haven't been able to find it.

These are just my observations from about 3 hours in.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I haven't posted in this thread for a little while. I got the RE3 remake a week or so ago, and finished it on Saturday. Currently in clear-the-backlog mode, on the original Nier. I think I'm about halfway through (I've just encountered Noir).
RE:3 Was everything I hoped for and more. It literally took all the mechanics from Resident evil 2 and improved the graphics, gameplay structure and deleted all the unnecessary puzzles. Personally, I don’t mind paying ~$60 for a game if it’s quality content, even if that means it has a ‘shorter narrative’ [I completed the main plot on 8 hours] not every game needs to be drawn out to have 20 hours of main storylines, being short and concise with A strong framework of how the game is outlined like Capcom accomplished with Re:3, it was perfect.

Comment

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
That is exactly the way I will go too, dual wield axes.

So I just started in on Origins. Going to take some getting used to as the combat feels a slight bit different from Odyssey, seems like a bit more reaction lag to pulling out the shield or bow. Also, what is with all the arrows. Just running through town I got accosted by 2 soldiers on camelback who had bows and just kept circling me. Then, that alerted about 10 other soldiers nearby on foot that all pulled out bows and started shooting. Add tot the fact that they fire quicker than Odyssey, and I became a pincushion very quickly.

Already I think the abilities tree was better in Odyssey. The one in Origins looks a bit convoluted. And is there a quicksave in Origins? I haven't been able to find it.

These are just my observations from about 3 hours in.
Origins is older so they tweaked some stuff in Odyssey. Origins has a really cool storyline though. (IMHO)

Comment

Taustin Powers

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2005
Replaying The Last of Us, in preparation for part 2. Still an outstanding game!!

Thinking about starting Cites:Skylines for some casual fun in between. Is it pretty fun? Or just a pointless timesink? How is the learning curve?

Comment

Bluetoot-

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Thinking about starting Cites:Skylines for some casual fun in between. Is it pretty fun? Or just a pointless timesink? How is the learning curve?
It can be fun with mods and such. I would be playing it if my computer wasn’t dead. There’s a YouTube channel where a guy named Biffa has a ton of videos on how to fix traffic and such; it gave me some really great ideas on how to better build a city.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Replaying The Last of Us, in preparation for part 2. Still an outstanding game!!

So ready for TLOU2. Very surreal we are almost a month out (After years of clips/images, it’s a reality soon). Preordered for a ‘Day 1‘ purchase. Back-log will take a back seat when this game launches!

Comment