What got you into guns?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm hoping for a fairly level headed discussion but I acknowledge that will probably get derailed.

My view as an American. I don't own a gun. I live in the same world under the same unforeseen threats as you but don't feel that I would be any safer with a gun, or maybe I should say those events where a gun would help are extremely unlikely coupled with when your number is up, its up. I feel it would create a sense of paranoia and as somebody who has had some bouts of depression in the past fear what kind of out option that would give me. Most other suicide options are likely to fail or are way more elaborate than just pulling a trigger. Beyond randomness I also don't feel that I am of economic or social status where my life would be threatened.

In most cases I am against hunting. We have grocery stores. If you truly live in an isolated area where food is scarce than fine. But if you just want something that normally isn't offered at the grocery store I'm against it. I'm not PETA but we already kill enough animals for food.

So given all that on my view, I'm sincerely curious about those who believe gone ownership is important.

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm not sure where you think meat comes from, but its not the grocery store.

Meat is quite expensive these days. Hunting is very cost effective way of obtaining it. Where I came from many people do hunt and a few they do kill will sustain them till next season in the freezer.

3. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I grew up around them(we had them for protection) and just have been buying them ever since.
    Nothing better then going to the range to get you mind off things.

I will go to a gun store and buy one and walk out. I don’t think much about it however when I travel I find it strange that it isn’t like that everywhere.

4. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Y Chromosome :D

Honestly?

Video games.

Then I got my hands on one and realized they’re not as scary as the movies and media portrays them to be, but you need to be responsible and handle them safely.

5. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Re: grocery store, I said we are already killing enough animals for food meaning it ends up at grocery stores. And I'm not saying this with rightenous, but meat being expensive to me isn't a reason to kill more animals. Eat less meat. I already practice that. When meat is too expensive at the grocery store, not sure what determines that, I just don't buy meat that week. However, I do understand what you are saying if that's truly the reason people are hunting.

I was wondering that if in some cases it's a near religious upbringing situation. You're raced Catholic so you are Catholic. You were raced around guns so you own guns.

Not the same thing, but my childhood was filled with shooting cans with a bee-bee gun at our cabin, so I mildly get it. :)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2019 ---
    That's an interesting one, and I don't know how much of a 2nd amend. defender you are, but that seems to fall squarely in "because I can". Not calling you irresponsible, just saying if you couldn't then you would probably be "Meh, whatever."

6. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

I'm really curious, "protection" from who or what?

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Anything or anyone that comes .

Grew up in Mexico and loved small game hunting with my river 10/22, mostly birds and a few rabbits when I could. Had a few air rifles and shot those basically every day .
    Had guns since it was legal for me to do so after coming to the states , only had one handgun for many years then I started building ARs. Had my CCW for about 5 years now and carry every day

8. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Classic definition of "paranoia"

9. lostngone, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019

lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Why does it matter? What if I said from a deranged family member or organized crime?

However since you asked.

From these..
    [​IMG]
    And these...
    [​IMG]

You can actually see the building I work in, in this photo..
    [​IMG]

And to a lesser extent these...
    [​IMG]

To give you an idea.
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2019 ---
    You were saying?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Do you have car insurance? Health insurance? You must be paranoid.......I had never considered carrying. Until we dealt with a guy who almost killed my wife in the middle of the day. But thanks fir calling paranoia

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Is car insurance not a legal requirement in the States and you don’t have a national health system if I’m correct? Those examples you gave seem more like necessities rather than choice for those who can afford it.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

He lives in Alaska, his experience isn't typical.

13. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

What got me into the gun?

Vaseline.

Lots of it.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Guns. I don’t own one. Gun owners are more likely to die by gunfire.

15. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

I am a strong 2nd supporter. I understand why the 2nd was added to the Bill of Rights.

But no less valid.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2019 ---
    Do you own a car? Drivers are more likely to die in an automobile accident than a gun owner by gunfire.
    Paranoia has an irrational component to it.

It is in no way irrational to recognize that there are people out there that may wish harm on you, and to want to be able to defend yourself against such people.

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Addressing OP question: originally hunting as a teen and I enjoyed target practise. However as I matured, I grew out of killing animals for fun, because I no longer found it to be “fun”. I have gotten rid of my rifle and shotgun, but still have a couple of hands guns in a safe for the next apocalypse for which I’ll be too old to survive, or even want to.

17. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

I've never hunted and really have no interest to, but I do enjoy target shooting immensely.

That, and the analytic/logic part of my brain like seeing how everything works together in a gun. It’s pretty interesting.

Hey, it’s better to have and not need than need and not have, right?

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I know people who for the price of a few rounds, feed their family meat for most of the year. Granted some do it because they like to, but there are others that if they didn't get 2-3 deer during the season, their families would not eat as well.

Plus as some who just paid $9,200 (well insurance paid $8,700 of it) to have my wife's car fixed from hitting a deer, the fewer the better.

As for the spirit of the post, I guess it started with a BB gun. I liked seeing if I could hit that small part on the target. It was a challenge. Then upgraded to a .22 and the targets got moved back, but the objective was the same.

Bottom line is that shooting provides a challenge. Can you control the gun to hit the target.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, first wanting shooting at a Boy Scout summer camp. I enjoy target shooting.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think as a minority people who live in Alaska and other parts of rural America should have their rights protected. And that should include gun ownership.

However they shouldn’t have the right to impose their view of the world on other people either.

21. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Having a gun for protection against "Anything or anyone that comes" seems a tad irrational to me.o_O

22. scubachap macrumors regular

I think your question muddles two 'issues'. There's a US 'gun culture', which to my mind is a doctrinal/political culture which expresses ideas and arguments about the individual's relationship to the state very few other nations share to the same extent. The arguments for or against this seem to drive much traffic in this forum. It's not something I think is a good plan but hey ho, as the saying goes - your gaff, your rules...

There's also then the use of guns as an implement for hunting or as a sporting kit. I can think of no country that doesn't allow this in some form. The UK and Japan are often cited by the US gun lobby as having banned guns. Yet hunting with guns is allowed in Japan and hunting (we would simply call it shooting) with guns in the UK is extensive and gun ownership is surprisingly widespread. The actual use of guns for this is generally quite uncontroversial (unlike say, the use of older (crueler?) methods - dogs, traps, bow and arrows etc). If you are vegan then I would understand objections on principle but until lab grown meat is widely available I will personally continue to struggle with cognitive dissonance of people who buy (often incompetently) slaughtered animals in a supermarket but object to hunting carried out in a sustainable manner.

Even should lab meat become available there will probably still need to be some sort of limited and selective control undertaken if food is going to be intensively grown in small landmasses such as the UK. And that will probably have to be done with guns. We have to recognise that small countries like the UK has had pretty much all of it's landscape actively managed for at least 4,000 years by humans. There has been some attempts to completely stop this management - the limited re-wilding attempts but they're proving extremely controversial. The one in Holland Oostvaardersplassen has had 'problems' with animal starvation and mass die offs, overgrazing but then no woodland regeneration. It got bad enough that people concerned with animal cruelty have been prosecuted for chucking bales of hay over the fences. What these schemes seem to have at issue is that humans (particularly in populated parts of the globe) have been the top predator since we wiped out the cave bears and Aurochs etc. Simply just stopping being that predator but then not allowing other predators (wolves and bears) to breed freely and happily roam our landscape (perhaps getting nice a fat on an unlimited supply of sheep or even grabbing the odd rambler or toddler playing in a country park) knocks everything out of its previous balance. I can't see any alternative to some form of active management of herbivores in such countries and the use of guns are probably still the best and most selective option, so I would suggest that some limited and controlled gun ownership is needed.

23. bambooshots, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019

bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

True. And that goes for everyone, not just Alaskans who owns guns.

That’s the problem with the argument for gun control. Gun control supporters don’t like guns for whatever reason, so they want to make it where nobody can possess firearms.

Gun rights supporters don’t care if you have firearms or not. Just don’t try to tell us we can’t have them.
    How else should it be phrased?

He already said someone attacked his wife and almost killed her in broad daylight. Until then he didn’t think it was necessary to carry a gun.

A situation like that is so unthinkable in most of the Western world that when it happens, you get woke and start seeing what bad things could happen and what steps you can take to stop it from happening.

But you keep on being your bad self.

24. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

That's pretty much as I suspected judging from your location (Anchorage), just looking for some clarification.:)
    Nice photos BTW.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You’ve also got to allow people in urban areas to restrict guns in those areas as that makes sense too.