What happened to .99 songs & 9.99 albums @ iTunes?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MowingDevil, Sep 13, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

My band's brand new CD is on iTunes & I swear it was 99cents a song & 9.99 an album....which is inline w/ our physical CDs which sell for $15 regular or $10 @ shows. On CD Baby we also have the full album for download for $10 which basically matched iTunes but you had to take all songs as a bundle there.

Now all of a sudden the songs are $1.69 and the album is $16.99. Holy ****, I don't condone that one bit. I think its gouging and I guarantee you the record labels are behind this. They wouldn't want the indie bands to undercut their bottom line. ...and I don't care if the "quality" has been increased or whatever, its still digital files and not physical product.

There doesn't even appear to be an option to purchase the 9.99 version anymore, its certainly not encouraged (if its hidden there somewhere). Could someone please shed some light on this for me? Thanks

Our band has put alot of time & money into writing & recording this album and we did up a wicked digipack and went all out. I always love cool packaging and so I know there's people who still appreciate it. This has now thrown the entire spectrum out of whack for our marketing through Apple.

Not impressed.

I thought the whole point of .99 songs was to encourage people NOT to rip off the bands by providing a reasonable affordable NEW way to purchase music. I know the major labels are somehow behind this, bloody greed.

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

i noticed your location says sydney, nsw - $1.69 + 16.99 are the Australian prices.

3. Billy Boo Bob macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

What is the band and album? We can look it up here in the US and tell you what we find.

4. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Band=Crop Circle
    Album=Come Inside

Thanks, I hope thats the ticket....I am from Canada but am in Auz right now. Let me know.

5. xhopex macrumors newbie

yup, it shows .99 for each song & 9.99 for the album.

6. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

It's only .99 cents for each song over here in the U.S. and an album is only $9.99, so obviously it's just a thing over in the Australian store that's causing it to be $1.69 and $16.99.

7. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I just had a check and my band's songs show as $1.69 in Australia too, so I think it's normal price over there.

8. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

9. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

its quite normal...

all albums on the Australian iTunes music store are $16.99 and $1.69 a song, and have been ever since the store went online in 2005. I should know I was buying the day they came out...
    Its how Apple calculates the exchange rate + taxes I guess. Buying iPods and Macs in Australia also is about 70% more expensive, despite the exchange rate being considerably less than that.

10. jbgh macrumors member

thats ********, apple doesnt change their prices overseas every day depending on fluctuations in the exchange rate, and its NO WHERE NEAR 70% more for apple stuff over here

11. daddypilot macrumors newbie

Bring back .99 songs!

I'm amazed. I waited nearly a year to purchase my first iTunes song because it took me that long to upload my whole CD collection and I never needed any. Now I see the standard has changed drastically...a 30% increase in one jump--are they kidding? Was the whole 99-cent gig a ploy to lure us in? I'm Pis@#!

12. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

no, the prices for most songs are still 99 cents, its only top songs that area $1.29. however, i have yet to see any 69 cents songs that apple said would be in their pricing schemes. everything is still 99c or higher.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Suck? $16.99 is AWESOME for an album. CDs cost A$29.95 generally over here so $16.99 is a great price.

A$1.69 is great for single songs too.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

8GB iPod nano US$149 ex tax.
    8GB iPod nano A$180.90 ex tax = US$146.30 ex tax. :eek:

13" 2.26GHz MBP US$1199 ex tax.
    13" 2.26GHz MBP A$1726.40 ex tax = US$1395.85.

We're one of the cheapest places in the world to buy iPods and our Mac prices aren't anywhere near the 70% you claim.

15. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

They have a whole section for cheap music. "Great music, great prices" is what it's called. This is the link for albums under $7. The 69¢ songs are definitely the lesser sellers, but they're there.