What happened to CD burning?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by drmeatball, Aug 10, 2019.

1. drmeatball macrumors member

drmeatball

External USB CD/DVD/BR Drive works fine. Reads CDs a-ok. Trying to burn an audio disc for a client and nothing happens. Highlighted is the drive.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 9.36.56 PM.png

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Look under the Disc Burning tab, further up on that same System Information window.
    What is listed there?

3. Rodan52 macrumors regular

Rodan52

Try a process of elimination. If possible try to burn from a different source. If you have another computer that would be ideal. If the device will not burn from a different computer we can assume it is the device that is faulty.
    If it does work then we would need a lot more information from you on your computer, the program (app) you are using to burn from and what the source of the music is.

4. drmeatball thread starter macrumors member

drmeatball

Doesn't show anything.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 10.13.17 PM.png
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2019 ---
    For clarity, Disk Utility does show the drive. Something is broken somewhere.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 10.14.23 PM.png

5. drmeatball thread starter macrumors member

drmeatball

Ok so this is weird..

Disc burning still shows nothing. However, if I insert a blank DVD or a blank BluR, things work fine. (not going to waste a blank BR, but I did try burning a junk DVDR, worked exactly as it should.) Just not working with CD-R. Going to run to the store, maybe these blank CDs are incompatible.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 10.21.20 PM.png

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

The information about that drive SHOULD tell you the kind of CD-R that it supports (as well as other burn support information. You should also do a search about your specific drive model. Look at spec info, which should list any and all possible kinds of CD-R or CD-RW that are supported.

7. drmeatball thread starter macrumors member

drmeatball

Doing some more research about this.. thanks!

In the meantime I've uploaded the final AIF files to a hosting site to share with the client, all good there.

What's weird.. (not sure if we're allowed to talk about them, but meh, I'm a real Mac mini owner now), the drive has definitely worked as intended on Mac OS in the past (rehabilitated fake Mac user - not sure if I ever had a Mojave hack tho, can't remember), but it would have been as an SATA device. I bought a USB external enclosure when I made the proper switch, never had to burn anything until now.

8. drmeatball thread starter macrumors member

drmeatball

Success! Kind of!

Swapped out the fancy BluRay drive for an old, old (2013 old) LG burner, back in business. Apparently Mojave doesn't like the new and fancy tech.

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 10.55.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 10.54.11 PM.png

9. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Hmm, I use Toast and it works fine for me. My BD drive is an LG unit. Also have an LG DVDRAM. Both burn CDs fine.

Lou

10. drmeatball thread starter macrumors member

drmeatball

Thanks everyone for the help.. still not sure why exactly things didn't work the first go-round. I swapped the working 5.25 DVD/CD burner for a 3rd 5.25 BluRay/DVD/CD burner, this one works fine (which is good, I need to be able to burn BD-R for backups).

Who knows.. I marked the 'bad' DVD drive as such and I'll make sure it isn't near a Mac again.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 11.29.17 PM.png